Help me format my hard disk..

Status
Not open for further replies.

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Hi! Guys..
Plz help me in installing my computer..
U see I have 3 partitions on my 40GB Seagate harddisk:
:arrow: C: (containing all my important files -- abot 10 GB)
:arrow: D: (Win XP SP2 original installed - about 10 GB)
:arrow: SuSE 9.1 (LINUX installed on about 18 GB)
Now, I wish to save my data on C:. For this I will bring a second hard disk and copy the data.
After that, I wish to completely format my hard drive and remove all partitions. Then, I wish to create 3 paritions of 18 GB (for WIN XP SP2), 14 GB (Data), 5 GB (for LINUX).
I can install WIN XP and LINUX, but I don't know how to format my hard drive and create partitions.
Plz tell me the procedure and all the things I would be needing (like Boot Up Disk, etc.)

bharathbala2003

why need title?
simple.. get ya XP Cd first.. and start up the computer.. after changing the boot sequence to CD.. then it will ask u to install XP.. there u can have the option of formating.. there create partition and format em.. simple.. if u feel this is difficult.. get a 98 cd and run Fdisk and do the partition..

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
How to use Fdisk and can this option be used with a Win 98 boot up disk?
And does Win XP have the option 2 format Hard disk.. I need 2 check again..

bharathbala2003

why need title?
well sorry i think i made a mistake.. yes u can format the disks.. but i dont think u can format the drive thats got XP.. first of all i suppose ur system as a NTFS partition.. so better get a XP cd.. and change the boot sequence to CDrom.. u can do that in BIOS
(in Standard CMOS SETUP) then restart the system.. when the XP setup starts.. select the option to del XP and then format the system.. then create partitions then format em.. thats it.. u can install XP again and then go on to install Linux..

yehmeriidhain

In the zone
After copying ur data to the other disk .. just confirm tht ur boot sequence has CDROM as its 1st option in BIOS ...

then insert an XP cd boot ur system from tht CD & follow the procedure after . .pressing 'F8' .. setup will ask U to delete & recreate the partitions .. delete all the partitions by pressing 'D' . & recreate the partitions pressing 'C' .. Setup will itself ask U to set the sizes of various partitions ... :D

& yeah! Install windows first & then LINUX to avoid some hectic problem :oops:
Gud luck!

krisjr

In the zone
hey i hav win98SE.2 partions c and d.wen formating c drive,i do require a boot disk rt...wats the purpose of this...secondly,i dont hav win98 original cd,but hav saved all files in D drive(the whole setup files etc of win98SE)...So wen it will ask abt the cd,wat do i do..
do tell
tx

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
//siddhartha// said:
How to use Fdisk and can this option be used with a Win 98 boot up disk?
And does Win XP have the option 2 format Hard disk.. I need 2 check again..

winXP do have an option to format HDD,but not thru fdisk..its more user friendly...

nd for formatting thru fdisk here is the link...>>

*www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/fdisk-format.html

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
For @bharatbala2003, I have all FAT32 partitions.. No, NTFS ones.. I will try all your advices as soon as I get a hard disk from my frnds.. I had gone to my system dealer and he said he would charge me Rs. 250/- for installing WIN XP again after formatting my hard drives.. I hve got plenty of info now and will do the work myself..

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
//siddhartha// said:
I had gone to my system dealer and he said he would charge me Rs. 250/- for installing WIN XP again after formatting my hard drives..

:shock: :shock:
WOW...!!! had i been charging this much...i wud be playing with $$$$$ !!!

OP
S

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Oh! I wish I lived in Bangalore.. Anywys, thanx @pradeep_chauhan for your kind proposal. If I happen to come to BANGALORE, I will BANG into your house and fly with ur system..

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
krisjr said:
hey i hav win98SE.2 partions c and d.wen formating c drive,i do require a boot disk rt...wats the purpose of this...secondly,i dont hav win98 original cd,but hav saved all files in D drive(the whole setup files etc of win98SE)...So wen it will ask abt the cd,wat do i do..
do tell
tx

You can just boot into msdos mode from the shutdown menu and format the partition since you are using 98

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom