Help me choose a *nix OS out of Linux, FreeBSD, OpenSolaris

Anish

Spectre
Hi friends,
As its obvious from the topic, please clear me the doubt about where to start. I am a newbie to these. I've booted with live cd of linux mint, ubuntu and open solaris.. every thing looks the same. I havent tried any thing yet. Just i've booted and shutdown. Don't even know how the file system works in these operating systems. Will you please clear me and instruct me which operating system to start..and which will suit my needs..I am tired of using windows and planning to switch. I am doing my BE in ECE. and my laptop is asus k42ja.

Rahim

Married!
Re: linux vs opensolaris vs free bsd

Linux Mint.

All of them uses DEs like gnome, kde and thats why all of them looks similar.
Of course, there are more than, wait till the experts reply.

OP
Anish

Anish

Spectre
Re: linux vs opensolaris vs free bsd

Linux Mint.
Yeah buddy, I tried linux mint in my old laptop (its a thinkpad) but it didnt work... so i thought that mint wont work in laptops.. but the same mint boots fine and sound in desktop. sorry for my bad conclusion. but will it work on my asus? and why didnt it work on my think pad? other distros are fine on my thinkpad. I even tried linux mint 7,8 and 10 no positive results.. but they all work fine in my desktop. and also i am waiting for other queries to be answered

J

Joker

can u mention the model of ur thinkpad laptop? being specific always helps.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
+1 for Linux Mint.
Linux mint is based on Ubuntu which has a very good community support.

BTW, if you are facing some problems while booting into Linux mint, try booting with flag
Code:
acpi=off
at boot line.

OP
Anish

Anish

Spectre
I am sorry for my blunt knowledge but i dont know what that thing means acpi=off and how to do that..

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
I am sorry for my blunt knowledge but i dont know what that thing means acpi=off and how to do that..

When you insert the CD and boot the computer, it should be giving 2-3 options to choose from. There on very first option, press e and append acpi=off to the line.

Top Bottom