Help me buy a laptop!

omkar_hande

Right off the assembly line
Hi I am looking to purchase a laptop for around 40-45k. I dont mind not having OS pre-installed :cool:.

I want a powerful system - should be able to run MATLAB etc with ease. Dedicated graphics memory - not a necessity, but should atleast be able to play high-def videos.

Please suggest laptops in this range!

So far, following are the 2 choices i have :-D:
1. Asus K53SM-SX010D Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph)
asus-notebook-k53sm-sx010d-400x400-imadczvjuzwk5kkq.jpeg

Asus K53SM-SX010D Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

2. HP 4540s ProBook (3rd Gen Ci5/8GB/ 500GB/ DOS)
hp-probook-notebook-4540s-b8z31pa-400x400-imade88xfzgkkmzn.jpeg
HP 4540s ProBook (3rd Gen Ci5/8GB/ 500GB/ DOS): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

I want to go for ASUS, but then I've no idea how the service is in India.

Also... how much difference does rpm (7200 or 5400) make on performance of programs?

Thanks for help!

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
HP probook is known for its crappy keyboard. Get something else for yourself.

Nothing like that, its fine.

@omkar- Among the one you shortlised, probook wins if you ignore dedicated graphics. But have a look at HP 2016tx if you want a perfect blend of both.

And, 7200rpm or 5200rpm matters when you do a HDD intensive tasks. A good HDD always boosts the system but many OEMs put slow HDD in laptops which beats the purpose of 7200rpm HDD, especially toshiba. If possible, opt for max storage now, and get a SSD later by replacing ODD if you can.

harmandeep

VirTuaLiZaTioN Freak
HP Probook keyboard issue was due to HP Application conflicting with Windows Drivers as reported BELOW as it had been fixed:

HP Probook 6560b keyboard problems - Spiceworks - Page 2

Furthermore, Probook SKUs at FLIPKART are highly overpriced | refer - Deltapage.com/list/index.html for more accurate pricing.

OP
O

omkar_hande

How about this laptop?

HP Pavilion DV4-5008TX Laptop 2nd Ci5/6GB/640GB/Win 7 HB/2GB Graphics with Beats Audio: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

Costlier, but comes with the same graphic card and 6 GB of RAM. Moreover, its HP - service must be better that that of ASUS's.

Droid

Broken In
You are comparing two different sets of lappies. Asus is a gaming laptop whereas HP is for everyday use.If GPU is not your concern then you better go for HP 4540.
As you want to use laptop to run MATLAB HP 4540s is more than enough for it.

HP 4540s has Core i5( 3rd Generation) 3210M variant --ranked 283
Asus has Core i5 (2nd Generation) 2450M variant--ranked 330 in CPU benchmarks PassMark Intel vs AMD CPU Benchmarks - High End
(Lesser the rank,Better CPU)

HP 4540s has Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics which is more than enough to play HD videos.You can check the benchmarks here Intel HD Graphics 4000 Benchmarked - Notebookcheck.net Reviews
Asus has NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M graphics card which is better compared to Intel HD Graphics 4000,But this graphic card is mostly used in Low end gaming laptops which is not your requirement.

So i suggest to go for HP!!!

OP
O

omkar_hande

Thanks...

But I am now thinking of going for a decent graphic card. I figured I could do some gaming once i get to 4th year of engineering :) .

I found this HP laptop on Flipkart:
HP Pavilion DV4-5009TX Laptop 2nd Ci5/6GB/640GB/Win 7 HB/2GB Graphics with Beats Audio
HP Pavilion DV4-5009TX Laptop 2nd Ci5/6GB/640GB/Win 7 HB/2GB Graphics with Beats Audio: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

What do you think? This one or the Asus K53SM-SX010D Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Asus K53SM-SX010D Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook :| ?

harmandeep

VirTuaLiZaTioN Freak
if u wanna save a bit with dedicated graphics --- go with this 15R --- i3 IVY and 7670 Combo.

Dell Inspiron 15R N5520 Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 500GB/ Linux/ 1GB Graph): Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Dell Notebook

Droid

Broken In
According to your updated requirements below mentioned are my views:

HP DV4 and Asus both has same processor i5-2nd gen 2450M variant,But the only difference between these two is chipset.
HP Dv4 has Mobile Intel HM77 Expresschipset and Asus has Mobile Intel HM65 Express chipset.
HM77 has an inbuilt I/O ports for usb 2.0 and usb 3.0,where as HM65 has a better graphic output.Both are almost the same if we neglect these minor changes
Comparison link:ARK | Compare Intel® Products

HP DV4 has 640 GB HDD,whereas Asus had 750 GB.If you already have an ext HDD then this wont be an issue.
HP DV4 has 6 GB ram and asus had 4 GB.For better performance i prefer higher Ram.
HP DV4 has 14 inch LED Backlit Widescreen Display and Asus has 15.6 inch LED Backlight Glare Panel.Both display types are almost the same only the size varies.
[Solved] Choosing a monitor: LED Backlit vs. LED Widescreen? - Flat-Panels-LCDs - Computer-Peripherals

Both have same GPU NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M.You can find the Architecture,benchmarks and game benchmarks with FPS from the below link.
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M - Notebookcheck.net Tech

Hp DV4 has Beats Audio High Definition Speakers, whereas Asus comes with Altec Lansing.Beats Audio are much better compared to AL and not to forget HP DV4 comes with built in Sub-woofeers which is an added attraction for music lovers.

The main difference between the two lappies is OS:HP dv4 comes with Win 7(Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for Rs.699/-) and Asus comes with DOS.

If you are happy customizing your own OS(If you don't use a cracked,it would cost you another 5K!!!) and you want to compromise on the sound n Ram then go for Asus.
If you are happy with already customized OS Win 7(Upgradeable to win 8 pro) and you want to compromise on display screen size then go for HP DV4.

Rest all remains the same between the two lappies.Except that
Asus is designed with high quality aluminum textures(Sturdy design) and IceCool Technology keep palm rests cool, placing heat-producing components away from users.I am saying this because i brought asus k53sm 3 months back and im loving it!!!

The Choice is yours.

OP
O

omkar_hande

According to your updated requirements below mentioned are my views:

HP DV4 and Asus both has same processor i5-2nd gen 2450M variant,But the only difference between these two is chipset.
HP Dv4 has Mobile Intel HM77 Expresschipset and Asus has Mobile Intel HM65 Express chipset.
HM77 has an inbuilt I/O ports for usb 2.0 and usb 3.0,where as HM65 has a better graphic output.Both are almost the same if we neglect these minor changes
Comparison link:ARK | Compare Intel® Products

HP DV4 has 640 GB HDD,whereas Asus had 750 GB.If you already have an ext HDD then this wont be an issue.
HP DV4 has 6 GB ram and asus had 4 GB.For better performance i prefer higher Ram.
HP DV4 has 14 inch LED Backlit Widescreen Display and Asus has 15.6 inch LED Backlight Glare Panel.Both display types are almost the same only the size varies.
[Solved] Choosing a monitor: LED Backlit vs. LED Widescreen? - Flat-Panels-LCDs - Computer-Peripherals

Both have same GPU NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M.You can find the Architecture,benchmarks and game benchmarks with FPS from the below link.
NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M - Notebookcheck.net Tech

Hp DV4 has Beats Audio High Definition Speakers, whereas Asus comes with Altec Lansing.Beats Audio are much better compared to AL and not to forget HP DV4 comes with built in Sub-woofeers which is an added attraction for music lovers.

The main difference between the two lappies is OS:HP dv4 comes with Win 7(Upgrade to Windows 8 Pro for Rs.699/-) and Asus comes with DOS.

If you are happy customizing your own OS(If you don't use a cracked,it would cost you another 5K!!!) and you want to compromise on the sound n Ram then go for Asus.
If you are happy with already customized OS Win 7(Upgradeable to win 8 pro) and you want to compromise on display screen size then go for HP DV4.

Rest all remains the same between the two lappies.Except that
Asus is designed with high quality aluminum textures(Sturdy design) and IceCool Technology keep palm rests cool, placing heat-producing components away from users.I am saying this because i brought asus k53sm 3 months back and im loving it!!!

The Choice is yours.

Thanks for the details on chipset... never knew about it. I think I will go with ASUS and upgrade its RAM to 8GB ... 4GB RAM costs about Rs. 1k on Flipkart.. So I just have to insert it into the empty slot on board. Apart from that, given that you actually own the same laptop... How do you find the ASUS service in India? Do they come on-site?

dsmarty

Journeyman
Nothing like that, its fine.

@omkar- Among the one you shortlised, probook wins if you ignore dedicated graphics. But have a look at HP 2016tx if you want a perfect blend of both.

And, 7200rpm or 5200rpm matters when you do a HDD intensive tasks. A good HDD always boosts the system but many OEMs put slow HDD in laptops which beats the purpose of 7200rpm HDD, especially toshiba. If possible, opt for max storage now, and get a SSD later by replacing ODD if you can.

Worst Quality Of HP Probook 4530s Keyboard And TouchPad - YouTube

Hundreds of results in google about probook keyboard problems.

Droid

Broken In
Asus service center is spread all over India mostly in and around all metropolitan cities.I had a word with one of the asus customer care executive before buying my lappy.They confirmed me, if the service center is within 8-10 kms of my residing place then they will send their technical executive to look into our issue or else we need to take our lappy to our nearest service center.I stay in bangalore and i have around 4 service centers within 8-10 km range.
You can check the nearest service center from the below link:
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- Service Center

I prefer you buy it from a local dealer who will have a direct contact with the service center executives.I saved almost 2k by buying it from a local dealer with 8 bag pack accesories and 8 gb pendrive, whereas @ flipkart i was only offered laptop,charger and a bag by paying 2k more!!!!

Top Bottom