Help !!!!! in transferring data from fat32 to ntfs

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjodh

Broken In
guys,
i recently decided to change my system's whole cpu keeping the older unit intact.
my old system has following config:-
p3,933 mhz ,intel 810e motherboard,192mb ram , 40 gb hdd ide, cdrw , dvd-rom , windows xp and 98se .all partitions in fat 32.
my new rig has this config:-
amd athlon 64 3000+,939 pin asus motherboard , 512 mb ram , dvd-rw,160 gb sata hdd, windows xp with all partitions on ntfs.
now,i want to transfer the data(abt 30 gb) from my previous hdd to my new one.is there any way i can do that without burning dvds and storing on the new rig?
pls help me.....its urgent.
thanx a lot in anticipation.
hoping for some help.
yours,
ranjodh.

Kniwor

Learner
now u have 2 cpu, right...

just connect them with a network cable.... and transfer the data..

please clarify, do u have 2 fully functional cabinets.... or something else is the case

sakumar79

Technomancer
Option 1: If they are two different computers (but from what you say, it isnt), go for what Kniwor says...

Option 2: If you have worked with the insides of CPU and are not afraid of opening the case and handling the RAM, cables, etc, connect the old HD as a primary/secondary master/slave... Currently, you have only got a DVD drive that is IDE... Adding this should be easy...

Option 3: If you dont want to do Option2, you can still follow it in principle by having a service engineer do it for you...

Option 4: Purchase an External Hard Disk Casing, put the old HD in it and connect it to the new rig...

Arun

Kniwor

Learner
even if they are not whole diff computers... what i thought was u atleast have 2 diff processing units, or so to say complete cabinets, connect both to lan, first connect monitor/KB/Mouse to one give share/read/write and go on...

OP
R

ranjodh

Broken In
yes,i have assembled my pc myself.so i m well aware of it.i have only two cpus,1 monitor,1 keyboard,1 mouse and 1 st of speakers and not a system in sight from mine for the next 15 kilometres(so,lan suggestion is out).i can try connecting old harddisk to new system but will windowsxp read data from it since it is in ntfs and the old disk is in fat32 ??????
pls reply soon
thanx.,guys
ranjodh.

champ_rock

champ_rock
yes, windfows xp reads both filesystems... just remove ur dvd wiring, put it in ur old harddisk.. boot up and u r done/...

OP
R

ranjodh

Broken In
champ_rock said:
yes, windfows xp reads both filesystems... just remove ur dvd wiring, put it in ur old harddisk.. boot up and u r done/...

i've tried.in the system properties , it shows old hard disk as disk drive and working properly but it does not show any partitions from old hdd whennew hdd is primary .how do i transfer data?
if old hdd is primary,the windows just does not boot at all after the operating systems choice screen .

Kniwor

Learner
why do u need 2 monitors for lan.... u just need 2 power cables....

first connect the first one (from where u want to get the data) to monitor n everything power it on, connect the lan to other one, power it on too, no monitor/KB on this one...

now make a workgroup, share everything and now disconnect the monitor and connect to the other one and copy whatever u want.... what's the problem... i have done this many times

and yes, if u connect the HDD it will work well.... it will read everything... i u assembled ur own comp u should be knowing this already

Kniwor

Learner
why do u need 2 monitors for lan.... u just need 2 power cables....

first connect the first one (from where u want to get the data) to monitor n everything power it on, connect the lan to other one, power it on too, no monitor/KB on this one...

now make a workgroup, share everything and now disconnect the monitor and connect to the other one and copy whatever u want.... what's the problem... i have done this many times

and yes, if u connect the HDD it will work well.... it will read everything... i u assembled ur own comp u should be knowing this already

OP
R

ranjodh

Broken In
actually , i dont have lan cable.so , i have to make do with direct hdd transfer .yes,i have tried but i told u,no partition is shown in my computer.pls help me kniwor.

Kniwor

Learner
how are u connecting ut HDD to ur comp... usin a diffrent cable or slave in an existing one...

if slave then u have to change the jumber in HDD, also if it is working properly...
right clcik my computer and what does it shoe in disk management
right click My Computer > Manage > Disk Managment

what does it show, post the screenshot

OP
R

ranjodh

Broken In
i m using the same hdd cable as of my old system but ive changed the jumper settings too,it didnt help.
disk management doent show my old hdd at all or any traces of it.only the new one.pls hlp me.asap.thnx for ur intrset,kniwor.

OP
R

ranjodh

Broken In
yes,the bios detects it. and theres nothing wrong in the power,the dvd works fine in the same power slot.pls help me.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Connect the old HDD as Primary, go to BIOS and set up boot option to start with the new SATA drive... Now, restart the system... You should have both drives listed in My Computer... The partitions order will get garbled but you can rearrange it using Administrative Tools.

Arun

OP
R

ranjodh

Broken In
it didnot help.if i select as old hdd as primary, it does not show booting option from the new hdd and if i select new hdd as primary , it does not boot from the old one.
pls help asap.thnx.

sakumar79

Technomancer
During bootup, when you get the memory check screen, etc... Press F8... Should trigger the boot selection menu (in most new motherboards, there is option to dynamically change the boot device for one time instead of going into BIOS)... If you can get it and select the SATA HDD while the old HDD is connected as primary, you will get in...

BTW, what problem exactly are you having when the old HDD is connected as slave? Also, when you connect as slave are you changing the jumper on the HDD? And if you are in Primary Master, you may want to try "Auto Select" mode instead of Master mode or Slave mode...

Also, when you boot thru SATA HDD, are you able to see the old HDD in Admin Tools->Disk Management?

Arun

OP
R

ranjodh

Broken In
no it did not help. if i select sata hdd to boot from while old hdd is primary it still does not show any partition of old hdd in my computer.
otherwise if iam having when the old HDD is connected as slave,then also it does not show old partition in my comp. though control panel says the old hdd is working fine.
yes,i have tried changing the jumper settings.
i didnt get what r u trying to tell me abt auto select mode.pls explain again.
no,i m not able to see it in disk management though system properties-> hardware devices says the device is working fine.
pls help me.
thnx.
ranjodh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom