help in linux installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohit sharma

Journeyman
He people there expert in linux , I m new in this field and got a problem _ I started installing inux9.0 ( red hat ) by taking boot from cd1 it started well and after showing the massage of running anaconda it detected my graphic card etc. but after that the monitor goes blank like in off condition. Installation runs well in textual mode but being a novoice I m afraid of doing it in text mode , so plz. If u can help me out. My system details are amd athlonxp2400 , km2m mercury motherboard with onboard s3 prosevage graphics 256 mb ram

tuxfan

Technomancer
I suggest, drop Red Hat 9, catch hold of PCQLinux 2005 with PCQL SP1. RH9 is pretty old now.

PCQ Linux 2005 is based on Fedora Core 3 (i.e. RH12!!) and has pretty good customisation.

Contact PCQ from *www.pcquest.com and ask for it. Alternatively visit their forum and you will find someone from your town who will give you the CDs. :)

ujjwal

Padawan
Hi,

Most probably the installer is trying to use a higher resolution/refresh rate than supported. I am unfamiliar with the boot options provided by redhat's installer, but try booting with "linux screen=800x600", or maybe you could try 640x480. Also, isn't the "text" installation of redhat 9 menu based? If so, its not much more difficult than the graphical mode, just remember to use <space> to select an option, <TAB> to switch buttons/tabs, <ENTER> to press a button.

And as tuxfan suggested, trying a newer distro is highly recommended. Fedora Core 4, Mandriva 10.1, Suse 9.3, Ubuntu 5.04, PCQLinux 2005 are some good options.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom