Help in Choosing a Programming Language

jayantr7

In the zone
I am a student of std.7 and learning GW-BASIC in school...BASIC can't give me good results as I want and other languages will start from std.9 :x

I can't wait for that long[sick of BASIC].I am trying to choose some other good programming languages.[i know this ques is silly]
Desktop Application Programming and Web app making is my main purpose.I don't wanna learn many languages one by one and then choose...I just wanna stick to 1 or 2...

Which one should I choose since I am not an expert programmer?It should also have an option to import sprites etc from graphics tools[will use IDE's of those languages][GUI included]

• Visual c++[or just c++]
  • Visual c#
  • java
  • or any other
I also wanna make databases.So Which database scripting language should I use? Or other than all above,should I use Adobe products for all my things since they have a high integration within all programs[all adobe products.]Some other things to ask :-

• Is interpreter better or compiler?
  • what is distributed application programming?
  • Explain me visual studio.net briefly...
I will ask other things later...help me plz

Last edited:
OP
jayantr7

jayantr7

In the zone
I don't want to learn 10's of programming languages and then decide.Please help me in here.Is Visual Basic also good?

How are these? : Python,Ruby,Perl,F#??
Please answer with some meaningful answers.I want this help as I can't decide!! :flamethrower::newgun::boink::mallet:

OP
jayantr7

jayantr7

In the zone
hey frndz,please help me in this topic.... i want one programming language with the capability to integrating with a database language.....at least in total 2 or 3 languages[including DB,programming lang.,scripting lang. etc]....

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Python, Ruby, Perl are very high level languages. IMO you should start with C to gain knowledge about sequential programming, then goto C++ to learn object oriented programming.

These two programming languages are like a base in their respective categories. Once you know these languages you will know the concepts of programming. After that all that you need to do is learn the "syntax" of a language like Java, etc. Python, Perl, Ruby are more of scripting languages than programming languages, that can be easily learnt if you have a strong base.

Also, I'd advise you to use GCC or Intel's compiler for learning C/C++ even though you may use Visual Studio for debugging. Reason being VC++ is not entirely standards compliant. And once you get used to a non-standard compiler it is difficult to "unerase" those practices. While the reverse is certainly not true. So start with a compiler that is standards compliant. Non-standard compiler means the code will not be portable across platforms (for e.g. your code on VC++ may not always build or even run on other platforms like UNIX, Linux etc.).

Another thing I'd like to point out is NEVER EVER start your C/C++ programming with Turbo C or C++! That will ruin your start!!!

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Python, Ruby, Perl are very high level languages. IMO you should start with C to gain knowledge about sequential programming, then goto C++ to learn object oriented programming.
I disagree. Python is perfect for a new programmer, C and C++ would make the new programmer think about unnecessary details and are often complex for them too. Python also teaches Object Oriented Programming.
In my opinion, start with Python and then go with C.

These two programming languages are like a base in their respective categories. Once you know these languages you will know the concepts of programming.
Python or Perl can also form a strong base for a programmer and that too without head banging with various complexities of C or C++. In fact after learning Python or Perl, the programmer will attain a certain level and will be more suited to move to lower level languages like C or C++.
After that all that you need to do is learn the "syntax" of a language like Java, etc. Python, Perl, Ruby are more of scripting languages than programming languages, that can be easily learnt if you have a strong base.
True. However, Python , Perl, Ruby are not *just* scripting languages. Each of them is a powerful language which will form a strong base in Programming.

Also, I'd advise you to use GCC or Intel's compiler for learning C/C++ even though you may use Visual Studio for debugging. Reason being VC++ is not entirely standards compliant. And once you get used to a non-standard compiler it is difficult to "unerase" those practices. While the reverse is certainly not true. So start with a compiler that is standards compliant. Non-standard compiler means the code will not be portable across platforms (for e.g. your code on VC++ may not always build or even run on other platforms like UNIX, Linux etc.).

Another thing I'd like to point out is NEVER EVER start your C/C++ programming with Turbo C or C++! That will ruin your start!!!
Agree with that.

OP
jayantr7

jayantr7

In the zone
Thanks for helping you both.I started to learn c++ with turbo c++ and that too got me dead.

Should I use Visual Basic as it's easy and RAD too_Or should I use a non-standard compiler first?
List of Hello World Programs in 200 Programming Languages

This page too helped me in deciding.Can I make or maintain a database in these languages or do i have to make one in SQL IDE's.What about Java?Is it just for WEB OR Also for Desktop App Programming?Which language should I use for Web app programming?
I am confused between Perl and python.I'll learn C first but should I learn it from any book or just from internet??

abhijangda

Padawan
hhmm.... friend, when i was in sixth standard i was nearly in same position as u r now. I started with Visual Basic 6.0, then goes to Visual Basic 2008,then 2010 then finally Python (and now learning C in my college). u should go for Visual Basic 6.0. This language is easy, clean interface. Although it is event driven programming language and not Object Oriented but it will be a good start. First Learn Visual Basic 6.0 then go to other editions of same language, then come to Python, finally C and C++. at the end go to Sun Java. Follow this procedure and learn every language then u will be a good programmer. Also all u need is to learn how to think, whats the approach for creating a program, this is nearly same for every language, anything that changes is the syntax of language.

IMO u r confused only because u have heard multiple languages at once. i am telling u what i think being the best:

1> start using GNU for C++ programming. refer online documentation as well as a book that covers multiple topics (EXCLUDING yashwant kanetkar).

2> build ur programming approach by creating algorithms of ur own. think of a problem (Eg. finding meaningful words from jumbled up words) and bring up solution of ur own or refer a site if u r having problems.

do this if u want to choose computers as ur carreer option.

3> C++ has the potential to outrun EVERY prog lang in the WORLD in every aspect. be it database, security, comunication etc. and this no exgerration. I have done it and strongly believe in it.

4> if u know the syntax for C++ then other prg lang will come to u easily.

i wrote such a long post (sry 4 that) 4 you. also make sure that every thing in this post is not a matter of months. it is a long process and time is of utmost importance. after such process u will feel that u have ur own style of programming and better at sorting out problems in ur head rather than studying it in a book. and that is a GOOD FEELING.

u have plenty of time and other studies. make it a hobby of yours to think and find problems and the solutions.

and best of luck and as others say happy programming...

OP
jayantr7

jayantr7

In the zone
IMO u r confused only because u have heard multiple languages at once. i am telling u what i think being the best:

1> start using GNU for C++ programming. refer online documentation as well as a book that covers multiple topics (EXCLUDING yashwant kanetkar).

i wrote such a long post (sry 4 that) 4 you. also make sure that every thing in this post is not a matter of months. it is a long process and time is of utmost importance. after such process u will feel that u have ur own style of programming and better at sorting out problems in ur head rather than studying it in a book. and that is a GOOD FEELING.

u have plenty of time and other studies. make it a hobby of yours to think and find problems and the solutions.

and best of luck and as others say happy programming...
But many says that it's a bit difficult to start with c++.And your post is not long for me as i like reading informative posts.Yup,I have a plenty of time in just one manner.I have to learn 3d animation,computing maths,photoshoping,etc.......

I have decided a little but still more suggestions needed.Because I don't then at last want to change after wasting many months....

What language is better for online apps n databases??
And thanks for helping you all.:clap2::banghead::bandanafighter::nanananana:

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
PHP is good for web applications due to simplicity and wide support. However I recommend Python for new programmers as it is brilliant combination of ease of use, logical, and powerful. Any language can interact with database anyway.

nibheds

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

you are a student first of best of luck for your studies and exams accoding to your query you want to know that which must be the best programming language so in this field there are certain options to choose such as Java ,C++, software development there are many more but these are the best one which can help you and can provide assistance for your job and other such related fields

Thanks!

_________________-

uk pharmacist

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I disagree. Python is perfect for a new programmer, C and C++ would make the new programmer think about unnecessary details and are often complex for them too. Python also teaches Object Oriented Programming.
In my opinion, start with Python and then go with C.

Python or Perl can also form a strong base for a programmer and that too without head banging with various complexities of C or C++. In fact after learning Python or Perl, the programmer will attain a certain level and will be more suited to move to lower level languages like C or C++.
I agree with you that Python/Perl are really simpler to learn and program that kind of give the person an abstraction. My point is, if a person starts with an easy to learn language he/she may not like to go back to something has has a steeper learning curve. I've seen that happen. Once you program in Python or Perl, you will find it kind of a waste of time to learn C/C++ that require much more things.

The idea here is to start learning C/C++ and then move to higher level languages. This way one can appreciate the ease and advantages of higher level languages more than one would have, had he/she taken the reverse order.

Also I believe C/C++ is like a baseline. You cannot do without it (rather, the concepts it teaches), be it for normal programming, or Embedded programming. No matter what platform you take you are bound to have a C compiler for that platform. It is like a universal language which every programmer should know.

True. However, Python , Perl, Ruby are not *just* scripting languages. Each of them is a powerful language which will form a strong base in Programming.
Again, I agree with you. I was just trying to tell him about compilers and interpreters. The source code for these languages need not be compiled. They are interpreted line by line. However, one can create binaries of the source code.

Thanks for helping you both.I started to learn c++ with turbo c++ and that too got me dead.

Should I use Visual Basic as it's easy and RAD too_Or should I use a non-standard compiler first?
List of Hello World Programs in 200 Programming Languages

This page too helped me in deciding.Can I make or maintain a database in these languages or do i have to make one in SQL IDE's.What about Java?Is it just for WEB OR Also for Desktop App Programming?Which language should I use for Web app programming?
I am confused between Perl and python.I'll learn C first but should I learn it from any book or just from internet??
My suggestion would be:
1) Learn C first then C++
2) Move to a higher level language like Python (I would recommend that over Perl)
3) Learn PHP, Javascript

Skip Visual Basic....

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl

+1 Yashwant kanetkar sucks. Lots of non ANSI stuff.

But many says that it's a bit difficult to start with c++.And your post is not long for me as i like reading informative posts.Yup,I have a plenty of time in just one manner.I have to learn 3d animation,computing maths,photoshoping,etc.......

I have decided a little but still more suggestions needed.Because I don't then at last want to change after wasting many months....

And thanks for helping you all.:clap2::banghead::bandanafighter::nanananana:

You must learn C before C++ because much of C++ syntax is same as C. Actually, it is well to be considered an extension of C with some awesome extra features like OOP, etc.

PHP is good for web applications due to simplicity and wide support. However I recommend Python for new programmers as it is brilliant combination of ease of use, logical, and powerful. Any language can interact with database anyway.

True. PHP is the industry standard in webapps, although it sucks at performance.

I agree with you that Python/Perl are really simpler to learn and program that kind of give the person an abstraction. My point is, if a person starts with an easy to learn language he/she may not like to go back to something has has a steeper learning curve. I've seen that happen. Once you program in Python or Perl, you will find it kind of a waste of time to learn C/C++ that require much more things.

The idea here is to start learning C/C++ and then move to higher level languages. This way one can appreciate the ease and advantages of higher level languages more than one would have, had he/she taken the reverse order.

Also I believe C/C++ is like a baseline. You cannot do without it (rather, the concepts it teaches), be it for normal programming, or Embedded programming. No matter what platform you take you are bound to have a C compiler for that platform. It is like a universal language which every programmer should know.

Skip Visual Basic....

Skip VB. It sucks.
I did not learn C before PHP.
My learning sequence was like PHP, SQL, Python, C. Now learning C++ too. It doesn't make much of difference which language you learn first, you just need to have the learning desire.

OP
jayantr7

jayantr7

In the zone
Thanks to all of you for helping me.
Why should I skip VB??It's considered to be easy and also very powerful.
OK,I'll start C before C++.
What about Java?I am deciding too right now but will decide my final at the end.Should I use a good well known book for learning these or just any book or just by Internet??:?::?::?::?::?:

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
VB works only in windows. And its neither as powerful as C. At the core, it sucks, sort of a GUI extension to BASIC.

Given the increasing market of Linux, Mac, you should learn languages which works everywhere.

like i said before C++ is the core to all ur programming needs. even 3D game engines and 3D applications eg. 3DS Max are C coded. highly portable if built around the standards, unlike java.

nileshgr

Wise Old Owl
^^
Plus VB warps the fundamentals of programming, if learnt as the first language.

As I said above, PHP was the first language I learned. I have programmed in VB too, but my programming concepts are very strong and my programming style conforms to industry standards (as said by many co-programmers) :)

So it really doesn't matter which programming language you learn first. Whatever you do, do with enough practice which will form basic concepts.

Top Bottom