HELP!!! How to allow or disable specific rights in Win XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

edlin

Right off the assembly line
Dear Friends,

I don't know how to allow or disable specific rights in Windows XP. I created Administrative Acccount for my younger brother. But now I have to disable his previlage to install new softwares. I don't know how to do it. Please note that I don't want to convert his account to limited user. I just want to disable his right to install new software.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Open gpedit.msc and goto:

Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Installer
User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Installer

Here u'll find some options for ur requirements!

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
i guess the query has been solved.
But my query approximates to this and i didn't want to create a new thread

Can we disable a particular user's access to add remove programs applet, users applet and gpedit

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
@ilugd
U can set the privileges for Add/Remove programs here:

User Configurations -> Administrative Templates -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs

For allow/disallow any program, like gpedit.msc or ne other, look for "Don't allow specified windows applications here:

User Configurations -> Administrative Templates -> System

OP
E

edlin

Right off the assembly line
nishant_nms said:
Then better turn his user into limited user
Dear Nishant,
You solution is not practical. If I use your method my brother cannot write (burn) his project CDs also. Okay, anyway, Vishal Gupta solved my puzzle.

edlin

Last edited:

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
yeah, i cant turn that account to limited too. As pagemaker is used by the user and it needs elevated priviledges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom