Help choosing components for HTPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

aritrap

Mobile Addict
Suggest components for HTPC

I will be going to College from this year and I dont know in which college I will get admission. It may be in my hometown or even may in another part of the country. So I want the cabinet to be portable like the Zebronics Tambi.

My requirements are that the motherboard to be used should have a PCI-E x16 slot since I plan on using a discrete graphics card for some gaming.

Both Intel and AMD will be considered.

Please suggest such a motherboard and processor and also a cabinet. The cabinet should also have the ability to fit in a standard PSU since I plan on using a graphics card. The graphics card will be either nVidia 9600GT or AMD-ATI 4670

Cabinet should be available in India as I do not want to go the KMD route(my father wont allow me to buy from someone who he cannot see in person).

The total for these 3 parts(processor+motherboard+cabinet) should not exceed Rs.15k.

Last edited:

Crossfire

Rig It Up
What is your budget?

You better purchase a copy of Digit March 2009 copy. There is an article on building your own HTPC and also many configurations among which you can select one.

Here is the entry level HTPC config is here,
Mobo Zotac Geforce 8200 ITX wifi
CPU AMD 5600X2
RAM Corsair value ram 2GB
Cabinet Zebronics Tambi
HDD Seagate 500GB
LG DVD Writer

Total 20K. And you can either go with default PSU you get with the cabinet or get CM 460 watts for 2.5K. I think it is enough to run 9600gt.

OP
A

aritrap

Mobile Addict
Actually I got the idea of buying a portable cabinet after reading the article in Digit. The Tambi looks too small and in the DIY guide, after seeing the pictures provided I think there will be some serious problems regarding ventilation. Also in the guide, a mini-ITX motherboard is used which I think does not have a PCI-E x16 slot. So no discrete graphics card can be used. To me, the Zebronics Cube looks good(I mean it serves my purpose. It looks crappy. Looks more like an inverter than a cabinet). It is very well ventilated, has lots of cooling fans. It also supports micro-ATX motherboards and comes without SMPS too. I now only need to find out if it is available in Kolkata or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom