Help building NAS

bludash

Mark your Mark
Hi people my friend would like to build a NAS for home use have filled the the questioner required with the information below....advice/suggestions would be appreciated....

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:it would be used as a file server, torrents, & downloads dump

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans:10K (excluding the hdd)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:no

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans:free open source like freenas....but suggestions are welcome

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:will start with 1 tb X 2WD

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:No (not required)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers,Hard disk

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans:1 week of June

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:Yes the current config is assembled by me and the NAS will be assembled by us.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:Thane, will buy from Lamington Road. Yes to online (only if the stuff is not available locally)

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:Would prefer the integrated processor as they cost less....also a fan less, low power config is what we are planning.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Processor :- Any dual core will do. That should be enough for your NAS. Choose a processor with less TDP as your NAS will be always on.

ComponentsNamePrice
ProcessorIntel Celeron G5303000
MotherboardIntel DH61WW3000
RAMCorsair Value 4 GB 2GBx21500
SMPSCorsair VS 3502000
CabinetCooler Master Elite 3101700
Total11200

I know that this is a little overbudget, but trust me, you don't want to sacrifice on that Corsair SMPS. Also, you'll need a good cabinet which has good airflow to keep them HDDs cool.

If you want, then you can get a slightly more powerful system

ComponentsNamePrice
ProcessorIntel Pentium G21203500
MotherboardGigabyte GA-B75M-D3H3250
RAMCorsair Value RAM 4 GB 2GB x 21500
SMPSCorsair VS3502000
CabinetCooler Master Elite 3101700
Total11950

FreeNAS 8
is awesome. Here's an ultra-awesome guide by Lifehacker.

*lifehacker.com/turn-an-old-computer-into-a-do-anything-home-server-wit-510023147

OP
B

bludash

Mark your Mark
Thanks Hellknight and Shiva for your valuable reponse
@hellknight can you suggest some AMD ones aswell I think they are a but cheap and what is your take on the integrated SOC's like intel D2700-DC.
cause the size is the main concern I need some thing which will fit in a small cabby.
Black Dwarf is our inspiration i need to make it on these lines link : Black Dwarf: homemade shoebox size 16TB NAS | Chips | Geek.com
Thanks

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
The cheapest processor in AMD lineup is AMD Sempron 140 I think. It is a single core processor. But, if you're thinking of going the ZFS way, they I think that you should go for a dual-core processor. There is AMD Athlon II X2 270, which retails for Rs. 3120. Also, FreeNAS is based on FreeBSD which has some problems running on integrated AMD graphics. So I suggest that you stick to Intel processors. But here's an AMD based config that you requested.

ComponentsNamePrice
ProcessorAMD Athlon II X2 2703120
MotherboardGigabyte GA-78LMT-S22700
RAMCorsair ValueRAM 2GB x21500
SMPSCorsair VS3502000
CabinetCooler Master Elite1700
Total11020

You can also go for Intel Atom based motherboard but the thing is that they won't be able to handle simultaneous HD streaming to more devices in your household. Regarding the cabinet, I have really no idea about cabinets that small. But, if you're thinking of getting HDDs for your NAS, get WD Red series NAS drives, those run cooler & have a high MTBF.

The Intel D2700-DC is a good board but it has a limitation. It has support for 1066 MHz DDR3 RAM upto 4 GB. It can handle the NAS system, provided you can live with 4 GB RAM & stick to UFS filesystem on FreeNAS. According to some ZFS experts, for each terabyte you add to your NAS box, add a GB of RAM to it. So, if you have about 8 TB of HDDs in your NAS box on a ZFS filesystem, then you need to have at least 8 GB of RAM. And, with such amount of data, I suggest you stick to the ZFS filesystem as it has error correction, pooling & most of all, snapshots. This will come very handy if anything happens to your data.

Now, everything is upto you. Do post what you considered & which config you chose.

Last edited:
OP
B

bludash

Mark your Mark
Ok got the point thanks again for the elaborated response I will go for the 2nd config you suggested
Components Name Price
Processor Intel Pentium G2120 3500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H 3250
RAM Corsair Value RAM 4 GB 2GB x 2 1500
SMPS Corsair VS350 2000
Cabinet Cooler Master Elite 310 1700
Total 11950
will post the buy soon ....thanks.

Top Bottom