Heavy Workload Laptop at 60-70K

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Hello friends, I'm not getting any better model with 16GB RAM.
Shall I wait for the upcoming Amazon sale, or go ahead and order the A15 16GB model.

Any other suggestion?

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Also I noticed that there is a Fortress Grey finish of this laptop which looks much better than the black one.
But couldn't find any model with R5 in that finish. Any idea?

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
That is metallic built, partly, I think. Cost 2-3k more over other variant.
Ah ok, actually I saw one model sometime back on Amazon; it's over 75K for 8GB, not worth.
*www.amazon.in/ASUS-GTX-1650-Graphi...ild=1&keywords=asus+tuf&qid=1601646263&sr=8-3

Also there is one more with R7 4800 at 76K; is that really worth, though over my budget?
*www.amazon.in/ASUS-Graphics-Window...ild=1&keywords=asus+tuf&qid=1601646263&sr=8-7

Ah ok, actually I saw one model sometime back on Amazon; it's over 75K for 8GB, not worth.
*www.amazon.in/ASUS-GTX-1650-Graphi...ild=1&keywords=asus+tuf&qid=1601646263&sr=8-3

Also there is one more with R7 4800 at 76K; is that really worth, though over my budget?
*www.amazon.in/ASUS-Graphics-Window...ild=1&keywords=asus+tuf&qid=1601646263&sr=8-7
Do you need an 8 core CPU that is faster than any 6 core desktop CPUs? If yes, that is the laptop for you.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Do you need an 8 core CPU that is faster than any 6 core desktop CPUs? If yes, that is the laptop for you.
Oh, is that faster than 6-core desktop processors? How much better is that compared to R5 4600?
Also it will not cause more heat, because thermals are not so good.

Oh, is that faster than 6-core desktop processors? How much better is that compared to R5 4600?
Also it will not cause more heat, because thermals are not so good.
Since your workload is CPU only, it should be fine. Even for gaming, it shouldn't be as bad as higher-end A15 models as 1660Ti/2060 consumes more power as well, which generates more heat.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
I think R7 4800H is 15% faster than R5 3600, approx.
Oh OK, now this looks like batter option and will go long way, but budget is also going up. In the meantime, I was also searching and found it to be 25% faster than R5. Of course, it depends on lot of factors. Really tough to decide.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Oh OK, now this looks like batter option and will go long way, but budget is also going up. In the meantime, I was also searching and found it to be 25% faster than R5. Of course, it depends on lot of factors. Really tough to decide.
Oops sorry! I found R7 4800 to be 25% better that R5 4600 (mobile proc). R5 3600 is desktop processor.

123hero

In the zone
R7 4800H at 76K is a reasonable buy. I think you should go for it since laptops are going OOS like crazy.

123hero

In the zone
Yes, thinking on same line though it's going over budget.

Think of it this way, though its a very crude analogy.

R5 4600H with 16GB RAM - INR 68000
R7 4800H with 16GB RAM - INR 77000

Incremental processing power of R7 over R5 = 18%
Incremental price of R7 over R5 = 13%

Take a call accordingly.
REF : Processor Comparison - Head 2 Head

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Finally placed the order for Asus A15 R7 4800 model at ₹ 76,837/- !!! Should get delivered on 5th October!
Hope this 8-core CPU will go long way and remain usable several years down the line!

Thanks a lot dear friends @omega44-xt and @123hero for your valuable inputs and suggestions!

I'll update here once I get the laptop! :)

Finally placed the order for Asus A15 R7 4800 model at ₹ 76,837/- !!! Should get delivered on 5th October!
Hope this 8-core CPU will go long way and remain usable several years down the line!

Thanks a lot dear friends @omega44-xt and @123hero for your valuable inputs and suggestions!

I'll update here once I get the laptop! :)
Good, just looked into it in more detail. Apparently, it has a superior cooling system than R5 + 1650 model (I knew that R7 + 1660Ti/2060 model had it but wasn't sure of R7 + 1650 model). You can easily notice this by the presence of 3rd exhaust vent on the right side of the laptop, vs no vents on R5 model. Another advantage is the presence of 2nd M.2 SSD slot (free). Both of these stuff are mentioned in amazon & I know for a fact that R7 + 1660Ti models have it, so good for your that R7 + 1650 has it as well.

For CPU intensive tasks, that R7 will help a lot. Free M.2 slot can be used in future if you want more SSD storage without the need to replace factory installed SSD or HDD.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Good, just looked into it in more detail. Apparently, it has a superior cooling system than R5 + 1650 model (I knew that R7 + 1660Ti/2060 model had it but wasn't sure of R7 + 1650 model). You can easily notice this by the presence of 3rd exhaust vent on the right side of the laptop, vs no vents on R5 model. Another advantage is the presence of 2nd M.2 SSD slot (free). Both of these stuff are mentioned in amazon & I know for a fact that R7 + 1660Ti models have it, so good for your that R7 + 1650 has it as well.

For CPU intensive tasks, that R7 will help a lot. Free M.2 slot can be used in future if you want more SSD storage without the need to replace factory installed SSD or HDD.
Thanks dear for the details!

After this, I also checked both the models on Amazon India but right side images look exactly same; not sure if the extra vent is available on Indian models or Amazon is using the same images. Even for the same laptop they are showing two images of right side (one at top left, and one in the detail section in the meddle), one with air vents and another without it!

Anyway, I will not be using the GPU much, so it should be fine for me even without extra vents. Also their storage description is very confusing.

Thanks dear for the details!

After this, I also checked both the models on Amazon India but right side images look exactly same; not sure if the extra vent is available on Indian models or Amazon is using the same images. Even for the same laptop they are showing two images of right side (one at top left, and one in the detail section in the meddle), one with air vents and another without it!

Anyway, I will not be using the GPU much, so it should be fine for me even without extra vents. Also their storage description is very confusing.
It should be an error for 16GB model with R5 & 1650 as other models, even R5 + 1650Ti doesn't have a vent nor 2nd M.2 mentioned. Anyways, do update us when you get your laptop, would be a good info to confirm.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
It should be an error for 16GB model with R5 & 1650 as other models, even R5 + 1650Ti doesn't have a vent nor 2nd M.2 mentioned. Anyways, do update us when you get your laptop, would be a good info to confirm.
Yes, quite possible; the details on these websites are not always accurate.
Sure, I'll update the details after getting the laptop!

Top Bottom