Heavy Workload Laptop at 60-70K

edurgesh

Journeyman
Hello friends,

My current laptop (Asus Vivibook, almost 3 years old) is going good, but need a new laptop for software development; the old one will do duty for online classes.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

60-70K INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream 15"-16" FHD, no weight constraint

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Software development using Visual Studio, SQL Server, PostgreSQL Server, Docker, WSL2, Windows 10 Pro.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

Min 16GB RAM, 512 GB storage

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Any reliable brand is fine

6) Anything else you would like to say?

There is no gaming requirement, so even the basic GPU should be fine.

Saw this laptop on Amazon; how is this?

*www.amazon.in/ASUS-Graphics-Window...ywords=asus+tuf+laptop&qid=1601452722&sr=8-12

Please suggest more options.
Thanks in advance! :)

A15 is a great choice for its price, but that model was 62k just a few days ago. This one is cheaper:
Buy ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Laptop 15.6" FHD 144Hz Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650 4GB Graphics (8GB RAM/1TB HDD + 256GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Bonfire Black/2.30 Kg), FA506IH-AL057T Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
A15 is a great choice for its price, but that model was 62k just a few days ago. This one is cheaper:
Buy ASUS TUF Gaming A15 Laptop 15.6" FHD 144Hz Ryzen 5 4600H, GTX 1650 4GB Graphics (8GB RAM/1TB HDD + 256GB NVMe SSD/Windows 10/Bonfire Black/2.30 Kg), FA506IH-AL057T Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

Thanks dear for the quick reply!

I saw this model also, but the one which I selected earlier has 16 GB RAM already installed. If I buy a 8 GB version, I need to install another 8GB stick (maybe 4-5k). Though this has 256GB SSD + ITB HDD.
What do you suggest?

Regards

Thanks dear for the quick reply!

I saw this model also, but the one which I selected earlier has 16 GB RAM already installed. If I buy a 8 GB version, I need to install another 8GB stick (maybe 4-5k). Though this has 256GB SSD + ITB HDD.
What do you suggest?

Regards
Oh, my bad, didn't see 16GB. Then its good for the price. If you know how to open a laptop & put a 2.5" HDD/SSD later, better opt for 16/512GB variant because of higher capacity SSD & pre-installed RAM. 1TB 2.5" HDD costs 3.5-4k in general. I think Asus should include a cable for connecting it to mobo of laptop. Another difference is refresh rate, cheaper one has 144Hz panel, but since you aren't gaming, 60Hz will suffice, both panels are similar in colour reproduction, etc.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Oh, my bad, didn't see 16GB. Then its good for the price. If you know how to open a laptop & put a 2.5" HDD/SSD later, better opt for 16/512GB variant because of higher capacity SSD & pre-installed RAM. 1TB 2.5" HDD costs 3.5-4k in general. I think Asus should include a cable for connecting it to mobo of laptop. Another difference is refresh rate, cheaper one has 144Hz panel, but since you aren't gaming, 60Hz will suffice, both panels are similar in colour reproduction, etc.

OK great! That looks good.. yes I can install the HDD later if required. I also missed the refresh rate 144Hz; don't think it will matter as long as the screen quality is same. Maybe 60Hz will have slightly better battery life.. :)

Not sure if any further price reduction or offers are possible during the upcoming sale?

Thanks!

OK great! That looks good.. yes I can install the HDD later if required. I also missed the refresh rate 144Hz; don't think it will matter as long as the screen quality is same. Maybe 60Hz will have slightly better battery life.. :)

Not sure if any further price reduction or offers are possible during the upcoming sale?

Thanks!
Price reduction is possible but there are supply issues & A15 has been out of stock for most days since when it was launched.

Yes, 60Hz will have slightly better battery life, maybe 10% or so better.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Price reduction is possible but there are supply issues & A15 has been out of stock for most days since when it was launched.

Yes, 60Hz will have slightly better battery life, maybe 10% or so better.

Yes, it's a gamble now! It has become really tough to get a good laptop at reasonable price these days.
Also I don't think there are better options from other companies. Already checked HP, Lenovo, Acer; couldn't find anything better.
Looks like I need to pull the trigger soon!

Yes, it's a gamble now! It has become really tough to get a good laptop at reasonable price these days.
Also I don't think there are better options from other companies. Already checked HP, Lenovo, Acer; couldn't find anything better.
Looks like I need to pull the trigger soon!
HP has Pavilion Gaming with similar specs sans 144Hz panel for a similar rate but OOS now. Lenovo's Ideapad Gaming 3 with 1650Ti was 70k but you aren't into gaming, again OOS now.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
HP has Pavilion Gaming with similar specs sans 144Hz panel for a similar rate but OOS now. Lenovo's Ideapad Gaming 3 with 1650Ti was 70k but you aren't into gaming, again OOS now.

Yes, lot of laptops are OOS these days. But I found HP Pavilion models to be costlier at more than 70K with 8GB RAM; and Omen even more. Don't remember the Lenovo pricing. Let's wait for few days; I'll keep checking.
Thanks!

Yes, lot of laptops are OOS these days. But I found HP Pavilion models to be costlier at more than 70K with 8GB RAM; and Omen even more. Don't remember the Lenovo pricing. Let's wait for few days; I'll keep checking.
Thanks!
Omen has superior build & thermals compared to other 3, so that is bound to be more expensive. Still R5 + 1650Ti model was available for 76k, which was a good price IMO.

123hero

In the zone
Hello friends,

My current laptop (Asus Vivibook, almost 3 years old) is going good, but need a new laptop for software development; the old one will do duty for online classes.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

60-70K INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Mainstream 15"-16" FHD, no weight constraint

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Software development using Visual Studio, SQL Server, PostgreSQL Server, Docker, WSL2, Windows 10 Pro.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

Min 16GB RAM, 512 GB storage

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

Any reliable brand is fine

6) Anything else you would like to say?

There is no gaming requirement, so even the basic GPU should be fine.

Saw this laptop on Amazon; how is this?

*www.amazon.in/ASUS-Graphics-Window...ywords=asus+tuf+laptop&qid=1601452722&sr=8-12

Please suggest more options.
Thanks in advance! :)

The model you mentioned is Value for money- 16GB RAM + 512 GB SSD is a great buy at 68K just note that its a 60Hz display (anyways 60Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz displays aren't much of a deal breaker since all laptops come with 45% NTSC colour gamut - anyways you would be using laptop for development and coding so not an issue)

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Omen has superior build & thermals compared to other 3, so that is bound to be more expensive. Still R5 + 1650Ti model was available for 76k, which was a good price IMO.

Yes, Omen seems to be better model, but now it's more than 80K for 8GB model. So doesn't look VFM.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
The model you mentioned is Value for money- 16GB RAM + 512 GB SSD is a great buy at 68K just note that its a 60Hz display (anyways 60Hz, 120Hz, 144Hz displays aren't much of a deal breaker since all laptops come with 45% NTSC colour gamut - anyways you would be using laptop for development and coding so not an issue)
Yes, this looks the most VFM for now considering 16GB RAM. Refresh rate is not very important for me. Let's see if I can find anything better, otherwise will order this only.
Thanks!

123hero

In the zone
Yes, Omen seems to be better model, but now it's more than 80K for 8GB model. So doesn't look VFM.

There is an HP Omen model with R5 4600H + 4GB 1660Ti which was retailing at 86K. This was a great VFM since 1660Ti GPU with Intel CPU were retailing over 90K.

Between ASUS and HP - I would recommend to go for the HP since its internals are much better and overall better build quality.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
There is an HP Omen model with R5 4600H + 4GB 1660Ti which was retailing at 86K. This was a great VFM since 1660Ti GPU with Intel CPU were retailing over 90K.

Between ASUS and HP - I would recommend to go for the HP since its internals are much better and overall better build quality.

Yes, HP Omen with 1660Ti would be great for gaming, but that GPU is not very useful for me (not into gaming). Also after adding another 8GB RAM it will touch 90K!

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Found few more, though costlier:

*www.flipkart.com/msi-bravo-15-ryze...=sp&ppn=sp&ssid=7fqvg6y9thdsdp1c1601538185264

*www.flipkart.com/lenovo-ideapad-ga...id=COMFUGF8EHQ4RMK7.LSTCOMFUGF8EHQ4RMK7MQJRQ9

How are these? The Lenovo will require additional 8GB RAM though.
Thanks!

*www.flipkart.com/msi-bravo-15-ryze...=sp&ppn=sp&ssid=7fqvg6y9thdsdp1c1601538185264

*www.flipkart.com/lenovo-ideapad-ga...id=COMFUGF8EHQ4RMK7.LSTCOMFUGF8EHQ4RMK7MQJRQ9

Thanks!
You don't need the better GPU, so why consider them? All options except Omen have similar build & thermals. Dell G5 SE has worst thermals, avoid that.

123hero

In the zone

Thanks!

Since your requirements does not involve any graphic intensive task, I really don't see a need for a higher spec GPU like Radeon MX5500M. A similar config with the Dell heats up like a Dosa Tawa. :grinsmack::grinsmack:, so I would advise against the same.

For your requirements, I would recommend the below

1. ASUS TUF 15 - Base variant (R5 4600H , 4GB GTX 1650, 8 GB RAM + 512 GB SSD or (1 TB HDD + 256 GB SSD) depending on availability and price - Then add 8GB or 16GB RAM to be used in dual channel. I guess the 1 TB + 256GB SSD variant is available for around 65K + around 5/6K more for the RAM = 70 K

2. HP Pavilion Gaming - Base variant with 1 TB HDD only variant (R5 4600H , 4GB GTX 1650, 8 GB RAM ) - Add a 500GB SSD and 8 GB RAM (It supports a max of 16GB RAM). The base variant was available sometime back for 61K + 5K for RAM + 5K for SSD = 71 K

Both of them would be cheaper than the MSI @75K and Lenovo Ideapad @70K + 5K for RAM.

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
You don't need the better GPU, so why consider them? All options except Omen have similar build & thermals. Dell G5 SE has worst thermals, avoid that.
Oh OK, you are right! Better GPU will not be helpful for me; I was mainly looking if those models have better quality and thermals. If that's not the case, then I think the Asus A15 16GB is the best option for now! Thanks!

OP
E

edurgesh

Journeyman
Since your requirements does not involve any graphic intensive task, I really don't see a need for a higher spec GPU like Radeon MX5500M. A similar config with the Dell heats up like a Dosa Tawa. :grinsmack::grinsmack:, so I would advise against the same.

Yes, higher GPU will not help, and not aware of the Dell Dosa Tawa :)
Then I think then my first selection is better VFM at 68K. Thanks!

Top Bottom