HDD Problem

arjotsingh

Broken In
Hey guys
I have a WD 320 GB Blue edition desktop hard drive which I am using as an external drive using a casing. Yesterday when I connected the drive to my computer via usb port it emitted a burning smell. I immediately disconnected the drive from the computer. I am not sure what exactly burned :-the casing or the drive. But I can smell burning plastic scent coming from the drive's sata and power ports. So does it means my drive is burned. I tried connecting the drive internally to my computer but my computer doesn't start up until the drive is connected to the pc.
I have all my music collection on that drive which I don't want to lose. So please help.
Thanks in advance.

OP
A

arjotsingh

Broken In
The ports on the drive smell like burned plastics. So does this the ports and the electronics part have been burned. I read about something like this on net while searching for this problem. They said that if we replace the electronics part with a different part of the same model the drive can work. Is it possible?

I will also try connecting the hdd to the other computer.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Then RMA it. Although I'm not sure whether burnt parts are included in warranty or not.

OP
A

arjotsingh

Broken In
Got the answer from the WD guys. And they told me that they don't do the recovery work. They can repair the drive but it will wipe the drive off. They have asked me for the name of data recovery company for approval.
So any of you guys know of any data recovery company in Punjab, Chandigarh or Delhi, Please do tell me.

aloodum

Journeyman
@@ arjot: this is a luck based case..try to source the PCB- the electronic circuit - of the hard disk-exact model--and replace the one with yours...hard disk pcbs are separately connected and carry the data and power ports.

Coming to data recovery, there was this amarbir chap from lynx india, chandigarh based..but he's quite a controversial figure on most forums.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
Music collection? Downlaod it once again. It is nor worth spending money on data recovery only to save music collection.

Top Bottom