hdd partition confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
i have win xp and fc6 installed.if i create some empty space and a partition before c drive(where windows is installed) in partition magic,will that be /dev/hdc1 in linux??

rocket357

Security freak
abhinandh said:
i have win xp and fc6 installed.if i create some empty space and a partition before c drive(where windows is installed) in partition magic,will that be /dev/hdc1 in linux??

That depends. Is the drive connected to your secondary IDE channel as master?

For IDE drives (/dev/hd*), the lettering goes like this:

primary IDE master: /dev/hda
primary IDE slave: /dev/hdb
secondary IDE master: /dev/hdc
secondary IDE slave: /dev/hdd

The lettering in Windows (C drive, D drive, etc...) should be ignored, as that's referring to the partition, whereas the hdX in Linux refers to Hard Drive X. So /dev/hdc != C drive.

The numbering in Linux is what is important. If you create a partition before your WinXP install, and it's the FIRST partition on the disk, then it'll be /dev/hdX1, where "X" is the drive's letter according to the above list.

anantkhaitan

Burning Bright
Are you looking for /dev/hd*1 in windows?? Once you install a GNU/Linux Distro (Fedora Core 6 in your case), You will automatically get hda or hdb or others as per your H/D configuration.. Go through rocket357's post once more.. and do visit following links :
*puppylinux.org/wikka/PartitionsVsDrives
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hda1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom