HDD NIGHTMARES !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys, i am having a 40 GB Samsung HDD 5400 RPM but wen ever i try to connect more than 2 devices (like a DVD ROM to my system), my HARD DISK gives a lot of sound.

I already hv a SAMSUNG 52-X CD ROM and a SAMSUNG CD-WRITER.If i connect my 3rd device i.e my DVD ROM, my HARD DISK gives a "screaching noise" and that too for a long long time (7-8 seconds), This happens also wen my system boots up during normal startup so in this normal boot up, the noise is less screaching (lasts for about 2-3 seconds) without any of my 3rd device connected to my PC,but the noise is still there

The 3rd device can be in any order,my point in this querry is that --->
Is it normal to hv such kind of noises from the HDD !! Is my HDD in its last stage of its life and will R.I.P after sunmime?? plz suggest me wat to do,shud i go on for a new HDD !! also wich brand of HDD ??

I also tried removing the battery of the mobo (intel G 865 GBF) battery and reinserted it after 2-3 minutes, but the noise problem still persists also my PC takes up a lot of time(10-30 seconds) during starting up in normal mode along with the Noise from the HDD,but during shut down it takes only (3-4 seconds) to shut down thats NORMAL.. :)

plz suggest guys.... help needed......

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
Have you configures the HDD as primary master by means of the jumper not cable select and the DVD ROm as the primary slave this too by the jumper. if not try this. The "screaching sound " is really strange and does not indicate a healthy setup. Till the problem is diagnosed do not connect the DVD Rom.

Kannan

In the zone
According to your configuration keep the following,

Primary Master: Harddisk
Primary Slave: DVD-ROM Drive

Secondary Master: CD-Writer
Secondary Slave: CD-ROM

Check if the the problem presists. Also when U have DVD-ROM you don't need CD-ROM. But that will wont give any chages in output.

Also see if any devices is having this Cableselect instead of Master or Slave in their jumper selection.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Have you configures the HDD as primary master by means of the jumper not cable select and the DVD ROm as the primary slave this too by the jumper. if not try this

so shud i make the HDD as my PRIMARY MASTER by the jumper setting and also the DVD ROM as my PRI. SLAVE by the jumper settings !! is that correct !! :?

well b4 this post, i connected my HDD as PRIMARY MASTER,
DVD ROM as SECONDARY MASTER and CD-RW as my SEC.SLAVE.i hv not connected my CD ROM and the noise has reduced(1-2 seconds) and sumtimes i dont get any noise at all...

neways will try this combo also !! but my PC still takes time to start up in normal mode,although by removing the CD ROM, it takse less time as compared to beginning but it still is and also my PC responds to programs like WMP and winamp or even a simple My computer double clicking, the time taken is approx. 3-4 seconds... plz help me also !! :(:(

thanx,,,

Kannan

In the zone
I am little baffled with your problem ashu.

First Try having the HDD in Pri-Ma and DVD-ROM or the oldest optical drive you had in the Sec-Ma. Check the noise and other things.

If that is good, now make the DVD-ROM as Pri-Sl and CD-RW as Sec-Ma and check.

The point is add single optical drive one by one and check.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys, i think i hv solved the problem of my HDD,
i connected the drives as follows...

HDD-PRIMARY MASTER
DVD ROM-PRIMARY SLAVE
CD ROM-SECONDARY MASTER
CD-R-SECONDARY SLAVE

Now also the response time needed to open "MY COMPUTER" has quickned up and its upto the normal mark :) :p

I think the problem was with my FLOPPY DRIVE :evil: :evil: wich drived me crazy like hell.

OK guys, one more thing, is it true that since the DVD ROM speed of my SONY DVD ROM (model-DDU-1622) is 16-X, the loading time(for any software or game to install) from the DVD ROM to my HDD takes a bit time !! is it normal !! due to the speed of the DVD ROM !! or is there again a nasty problem out there !!! :? coz wen i play any other game from my DVD ROM, the game runs jus fine and normal :)

thanx guys for ur help... :p u dudes ROCK !!!!

cheers n peace.....

Kannan

In the zone
ashu said:
is it true that since the DVD ROM speed of my SONY DVD ROM (model-DDU-1622) is 16-X, the loading time(for any software or game to install) from the DVD ROM to my HDD takes a bit time

Generally loading the software from Optical Drive takes time.
Is your game located in DVD or CD-ROM?
Your DVD-ROM's CD reading speed should be around 52-X.

ashu said:
HDD-PRIMARY MASTER
DVD ROM-PRIMARY SLAVE
CD ROM-SECONDARY MASTER
CD-R-SECONDARY SLAVE

Please put your CD writer in Secondary Master, and your CD-ROM in Secondary Slave.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Is your game located in DVD or CD-ROM?
Your DVD-ROM's CD reading speed should be around 52-X.

I am using the DIGIT DVD ROM, to install my games so that will take a bit longer time than the usual loading time from the CD ROMs (52x speed) rite !!! Yes my SONY DVD ROM, CD reading speed is 52x :) and dvd reading speed is 16x.

thanx, cheers n peace.... :p:)

AlienTech

In the zone
I think teh screetching sound is because your head is touching the platter. Maybe by adding another device it takes more power and the HD do not have enough power to spin up fast enough. try removing another drive and see if it helps. If so get a better power supply. But I think the HD is toasted anyway. Once this happens, the HD becomes unreliable. I would definetely do not keep using this HD for valuable data.

DVD 1X is 1500KBS
CD 1x is 150KPS.

So the 16X DVD is much faster.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
AlienTech said:
I think teh screetching sound is because your head is touching the platter. Maybe by adding another device it takes more power and the HD do not have enough power to spin up fast enough. try removing another drive and see if it helps. If so get a better power supply. But I think the HD is toasted anyway. Once this happens, the HD becomes unreliable. I would definetely do not keep using this HD for valuable data.

DVD 1X is 1500KBS
CD 1x is 150KPS.

So the 16X DVD is much faster.

Sorry Sir this is a too far fetched idea I dont think thats a good explanation

Kannan

In the zone
I think teh screetching sound is because your head is touching the platter.

In that case the system will halt due to SMART Alert. Also that is a crash event, and sometimes system will start with a loooooong running startup scandisk !.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom