HDD burnt, SATA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

legolas

Padawan
hi,

i got a 120 GB SATA seagate hardisk... In about a month, it got "burnt"... is there any possibe ways of replacing it.. if i go to seacare(chennai), they say the warranty is broken, the disk wil not be replaced and u cant claim any mor warranties on this one... u hav to give to local service center.. can any1 help with this? r there any local service centers which cud possibly replace the burnt part..??? thk u.

/legolas

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
well i think seagate replaces the HDD, just go to the shop where u bought it and tell them to replace it. Well mine was replaced this way ony.

I suggested this coz u have used "if" i goto seacare.

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
i am sorry for that if in that sentence.... i went to seacare actually coz the shop owner asked me to do so!!

/legolas

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
I think segate offers 3yrs to HDDs ...so it better u ask about it with any authorised service centres......

OP
L

legolas

Padawan
yes they offer warranty... but not for a "burnt" hardisk it seems! :(

@shwetanshu, did u replace a "burnt" hardisk??

/legolas

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
well it was not burnt but it was completely screwed up, lots of bad sectors and somewhere cracked too, but i gave it to my dealer and he got it replaced from me

@cvvikram Seagate Offers 5 yrs warranty

shivaranjan.b

In the zone
Best way would be that you go to the shop from where you got the hdd.. As far as i know the warranties are not applicable to burnt parts...

d

Journeyman
Yes of course...i got a five yr warranty on my hdd...i think there's some kinda hotline for seagate hdd's mebbe u can call or something?it comes in digit, usually

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
Samsung/Seagate have this policy,
All Warranty Stands Void if the HDD has Physical Damage, Broken PCB, Burned PCB, or any sort of damage to the outer shell/case

btw,try your luck, may be they replace.
and dont get surprised if they dont.

puja399

In the zone
I get a feeling that one particular Chip on ur hdd is burnt, which is called C.I.D. Chip by the seacare. It will say that in case of burnt chip, the warranty is void. But the point is did they at any time disclose to the customer that the warranty is void if the chip is burnt? I think NO. Just look at the face of ur Seagate HDD and read the warranty clause written on it, it doesn't say anything about burnt chip. I guess u can easily win if u care to go to the consumer forum, but that is the last resort i think. Better try to convince/ cajole the shop owner to replace, threaten then of legal consequences if they don't, I think they will replace. Best of luck.

puja399

In the zone
club_pranay said:
just go to any auth service office, u'll find this thing written all over the place.

It doesn't matter what they write on their office wall. What matters is whether the warranty clause was disclosed to the customer in clear terms at the time of purchase or in any public advertisement. You are not supposed to know what the warranty clause contains if they take a printout and put it in their internal files, if it is not properly disclosed to the customer, the contact becomes voidable. Moreover, its not the service center who is the authority, but the Seagate company who is the principal, and they put the warranty clause in black and white on the product itself, and it doesn't include any 'burnt' clause. A customer is not supposed to be a technical person and is not supposed to know what seagate has internally arranged with ACCEL ICIM Ltd. (the agent of seagate providing service), and is not bound by that aggreement between Seagate and ACCEL ICIM, because there is no disclosure. Hence the contract becomes fraudulent in nature.

From what I know, the fact is Segate doesn't care to check the individual HDDs and merely replaces the HDDs sent by the agent company, ACCEL is delegated to check and sent the HDDs from the customers to the seagate. As there is no implied contract betwwen ACCEL and the customer, the internal arrangement between seagate and accel doesn't apply to the customer. Hence ACCEL cannot apply the contract to the customer. You should meet the head of office of ACCEL and talk with him directly on this point, and try to convince him and not the person who is taking delivery, as the person in the counter is only acting on the diretion of his boss.

(If you have any lawyer friend or relative, please take him with you, it will surely give you an edge in negotiating)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom