HArddisk Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi friends,

I am in need of a little help. I have a 60 GB, 7200 RPM Samsung hard drive. Last week when I was browsing the screen suddenly froze and the harddisk went into busy state for a minute or so (indicated by the harddisk indicator on my cabinet). Afterwards I restarted it thinking it might be some low memory problem (I have 128 MB RAM only). On rebooting my harddisk is being detected as 60 GB Primary Maser but then it waits at that instance (i am asuming it is searching for some more parameters). Next it gives me a message to insert a bootable disk. I tried booting through a bootable CD ROM and accessing the drive tru DOS but it gives me "Invalid drive Specification". I also tried attaching it to my friend's PC (Windows 98) but it does'nt go past the hardware detection screen. I think my track 0 has bad sectors. The harddisk in still under warranty so I can still exchange it but is it possible to recover my data without my warranty getting void? Is there any way to do a low level format or something and get my data back? Please can anybody provide me with details?

Thank you in advance.

PC Configuration:
2.6 GHz P4 Hyperthreading Enabled,
Asus P4-P800VM (865 Chipset), 128MB RAM,
Samsung 60GB 7200 RPM (PUMA).
Windows XP Service Pack 1.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
try this

:arrow: remove cd-rom drive....remove floppy drive nd all peripherals

:arrow: check the jumper settings on HDD .((shud be primary master))

:arrow: check the bootup sequence in BIOS...

:arrow: is ur HDD being detected in BIOS???

If all fails......then replace it!!

:roll: low level format??...dat will DESTROY everything rather than giving u a bakup of ur data....
try speaking to the samsung dealer that u want to have a backup of data first...

:roll: :roll: samsung nd me never go together!!! :mrgreen:

OP
P

prashantbhat25

Broken In
Hey devil

Thanks for the reply. and sorry for incomplete info

I have checked with harddisk attached alone.
HDD is configured as primary master
Boot sequence is with HDD as first boot device
HDD is being detected in BIOS but I cannot access the partitions from DOS also.

I spoke to samsung delear at Lamington but he said that they dont offer data recovery service.

I was vary of buying samsung but then i thought what r the chances of a harddisk crash.

How about giving my harddisk to people who recovery data. What are their charges and will my warranty be void? I suppose they will have to open the HDD. Will my warranty be void?

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
data recovery...hmm.....samsung dealer is the best person u shud ask...he will be ale to guide u...

but the question u have to ask urself is whether the data is dat much important to risk warranty void issues nd all??? :roll:

theraven

Technomancer
*img.photobucket.com/albums/v382/theraven123/search.gif
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9502&highlight=data+recover
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9262&highlight=data+recover
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7971&highlight=data+recover
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7690&highlight=data+recover
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6561&highlight=data+recover
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5608&highlight=data+recover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom