Hard Drive very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

Djn

Broken In
Recently bought an asus P5GC MX motherboard with E4500 and Seagate 250Gb Sata. Using PC wizard 2008 the read drive speed is reported as 166Mb/ps but the write speed is 16Mb/ps ???
Copying a 700mb file between partitions takes about 7 minutes.
The Bios is revision 0108 and the Asus site has no reference to this Bios version. The mb detects the cpu as a 4500 but the multiplier is 6 according to CPU z.
Do I return the motherboard or is there some mistake in my bios setup?

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
iam thinking you are using XP, and saying copying data of 700 mb from c to d or d to e taking a huge amount of time, is this the same case copying your DVD of movies, game data or CD movies ?, i guess copying data between partitions may take 7 min because you are copying a CD data in XP, also i suggest to maintain your C drive good by defragmenting,scandisk e,t,c; to make XP process faster

OP
D

Djn

Broken In
Batistabomb said:
i guess copying data between partitions may take 7 min because you are copying a CD data in XP
Yes, however PC wizard shows the read speed as 10 times more than the write speed?
Even before installing XP, it took ages to copy the files from CD to HDD. I think it's the BIOS, but don't know what needs to be done.

Batistabomb

Deadman Walking
leave all those pc wizards, pc doctors e.t.c; bios has nothing to do here, you are saying during the latest install of XP it was good, so this was the exact XP behaviour on start everything will be finr but as the days passing on and more and more programs loading on, it's performance starts degrading, that's why i said you to keep C as free as possible, i think now your PC is full of movies , high data softwares, games e.t.c; and also i think you filled C some extent more

I also had small doubt, may be your sys is infected with some spy and malwares, first tell how is the speed of system operations abd do you had internet ? and do you had any software like VB, Visual studio e.t.c;

OP
D

Djn

Broken In
Batistabomb said:
you are saying during the latest install of XP it was good, that's why i said you to keep C as free as possible, i think now your PC is full of movies , high data softwares, games e.t.c; and also i think you filled C some extent more

I also had small doubt, may be your sys is infected with some spy and malwares, first tell how is the speed of system operations abd do you had internet ? and do you had any software like VB, Visual studio e.t.c;
The install of XP was bad, very slow in copying files.
C drive is almost empty, except for MS office and 2 others.
No Visual Studio, absolutely no games, system speed is excellent except for disk operations.

sashijoseph

In the zone
Have you installed all drivers (esp sata related ones and chipset-inf's,if any) which came with the motherboard?
Any yellow marks in device manager?
In safe mode scan your hdd for bad sectors.
And like Batistabomb suggested scan your system for virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom