Hard Drive toooo hard for 815

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonu Yadav

Right off the assembly line
recently after a week of Q&A at different shops in nehru place, i was told or i can say i was made sure that the 160GB hard drive will work fine with my PC (Conf: PIII 1Ghz, 815 DFI (model: CS-65EC), 256 MB RAM). so i buyed it ( Seagate Baracuda160GB (sorry if miss spelled))and plugged it to my PC. First Shock BIOS shows it as 136 GB, next available size comes out to be 127.99GB. I report the same to the shopkeeper they say that the drive is faulty and ask me to go to the service center for the replacement. I acted as said but at service center they say that this drive is OK and requires new DM (Disk Manager) for Partition and the cd will cost me Rs. 100 and it WILL NOT WORK ON MY CONFIGURATION :shock:.
is it Ture, or is there any way that i can still use this drive with my exixting PC :?: . any kinda help will be appriciated :lol:

ishaan

Padawan
i got this off a forum. many ppl had this prob just search for it on google if u want more stuff. they were using a maxtor 160gb drive and only 137 was getting detected.
-------------------------

137GB Capacity Barrier

In order to properly access the full capacity of a hard drive larger than 137GB, your system must meet the system requirements described below. Formatting a drive past the 137GB barrier on a system that does not meet these requirements will result in data loss.

Note: If your Maxtor hard drive came bundled with a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card, you can safely install and use your drive with the PCI card on Windows 98SE, Me, NT 4.0 SP4, 2000, and XP.

1) Operating System Solutions

The only current Windows operating systems that natively support the full capacity of drives larger than 137GB are:

Windows XP Home Service Pack 1 (SP1)
Windows XP Professional SP1
Windows 2000 Professional SP3
Windows 2000 Server SP3

The latest Service Pack from Microsoft must be installed to ensure support for large drives. To download the latest Service Pack for Windows XP or 2000, visit *www.microsoft.com. Once you have installed the latest Service Pack, you must install and run the Windows version of MaxBlast from the MaxBlast CD to properly format and partition the full capacity of the drive.

If you do not have one of the operating systems listed above, Maxtor recommends that you upgrade your operating system or try one of the solutions listed below.

2) Chipset Solutions for Windows 98SE, Me, NT4.x, 2000 and XP

Intel 8xx Series Chipsets
Intel offers drivers to support the full capacity of drives larger than 137 GB on motherboards equipped with the Intel 810, 810E, 810E2, 815, 815, 815E, 815EP, 815P, 820, 820E, 830M, 830MP, 830MG, 840, 845, 850, or 860 chipset. The Intel Application Accelerator is compatible with Windows 98SE, Me, NT, 2000, and XP operating systems. The latest version of the driver can be downloaded from www.intel.com/support/chipsets/iaa/. If you are not sure what kind of chipset your motherboard has, contact your system or motherboard manufacturer.

If you are building a new system, you can use a bootable MaxBlast CD or diskette to partition and format large drives to their full capacity. Choose the “Set Up Your Hard Disk� button from the Main Menu, then select the “Advanced Installation� option during the install. After the drive has been partitioned and formatted, you can install Windows onto your system. Once Windows has been successfully installed, you should immediately download and install the Intel Application Accelerator before putting your system into regular use.

Other Chipsets
1. Some motherboards and PCI ATA cards equipped with VIA, SiS, ALi, NVIDIA, HighPoint, and Promise chipsets may have drivers or updates that will allow you to access the full capacity of a drive larger than 137GB, so contact your chipset, system, or motherboard manufacturer to see if they have drivers available for your operating system. If not, Maxtor recommends that you purchase a Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card, available from most retail and online computer stores.

3) Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card

If you have an Ultra ATA/133 PCI adapter card with an open channel, your high-capacity Maxtor drive will be fully supported in Windows while the drive is attached to such controller. Maxtor recommends using the Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card, which is fully compatible with all capacities of Maxtor ATA hard drives. Some system BIOSes do not support booting to drives attached to alternate adapters, so you may only be able to use the drive as additional storage and not as the boot drive. For more information on the Maxtor Ultra ATA/133 PCI Adapter Card, visit *www.maxtor.com.

OP
S

Sonu Yadav

Aaahhhhh........

i've gone throurg this crap before but still i cant partition my drive (ofcourse even with the new disk manager both for windows and DOS)
please dont copy such text and reply. if you realy want to help , help me by telling how to partition this damn drive using my PC

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
first check the jumper settings on the back of hdd
and re confirm if your mobo supports it or not.
do the settings in bios

then u can try boot-it-ing (a partitioning software) search it digit cd's for that, it's got a simple interface

How To use boot-it-ing...
1. first u need a working pc. install the software and run it, it will create a boot floppy.
2. Now put the disk in your drive and boot from it(remember to edit the settings on your BIOS)
3. now a gui will appear with mouse support. it will promt u to install the software in your hdd.... CLICK NO.
4. now click on "mentainance", then on "Partition work"
5. now you can see your hdd .... create the partitions as u wish.

OP
S

Sonu Yadav

thankXxxx but this just spray hydrogen on fire

Partition Manager 2003 form seagate is showing the correct partition size available but when i start creating the partition i get 128GB as the maximum instead of 149GB. can someone, anyone tell me where problem lies.
OR i have to say ASTA-LA-VISTA BABY to my hard drive

wORm

Journeyman
Re: Aaahhhhh........

Sonu Yadav said:
i've gone throurg this **** before but still i cant partition my drive (ofcourse even with the new disk manager both for windows and DOS)
please dont copy such text and reply. if you realy want to help , help me by telling how to partition this damn drive using my PC

What kind of a reply is that for a person who actually took some time and made an effort to help you out? Please try to be nice to people.

[deXter]

Journeyman
@Sonu Yadav,

Another alternative is to totally skip the BIOS itself. Now this may not seem so. uhm.. proper.. but the thing is it works, and you'll be able to use your full capacity, with partitioning and all.

What we have to understand here is that your BIOS is the main limitation. Theres no problem on the software part.

Well the good news is that XP is not as dependent on the BIOS as other OSes. XP can autodetect a hard drive even if it isn't configured in the BIOS.
But the problem here would be that you cannot have XP on the same drive. So here is the caveat: you'll need to use an additional drive.

Yeah, I told you this method isnt proper, but heck it works.

The additional HDD may be as small as 2 GB, so that it doesnt take much from your pocket.. (you can get 2 GB drives for as low as 200/-).

1) Install your 2GB (or greater) drive as Primary Master
2) Install your 160 GB as Primary Slave.
3) Goto the CMOS Setup and Enable the Option for Primary Master as Autodetect, and Primary Slave as "Not Installed". Note: it is very important to set your Primary Slave as "Not Installed"- as this will make the BIOS think that there is no HDD, hence XP will be forced to autodetect
4) Save the BIOS settings, exit
5) Now insert the XP setup CD and format your 2GB (or greater) drive. If you did the above steps properly, then you should only see your 2GB drive and not the 160 gb drive.
6) Install XP as usual.
7) After installation, install XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
8} After SP2, fire up Disk Management
(Start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc )
9) Now you should be able to see your 160 GB drive in the disk management console. Now you may format, partition or do whatever

And if you dont- Well then get the Intel Chipset drivers from the Intel website. Install, restart and check again.

If it still doesnt show the full capacity, then I'm sorry looks like your Mobo may not support it at all..

----

If the above doesnt work:

Well now we know that your Mobo too is a limitation. So the answer is as simple as the previous one -> Skip the mobo itself!

Yeah! The solution would be to again use a 2GB (or greater) drive as your primary master, install xp and all. But how to connect your drive? Use an IDE-USB converter!! Well another unconventional solution, sorry, but I cant think of anything else :)

But it WILL work, afterall your main aim is to use all your 160 GB.. So you can get a IDE to USB converter (costs anywhere between 500 - 3000) (A quick check on BaaZee.com shows an IDE-USB2.0 converter is available for ~1200 bucks)

*img.photobucket.com/albums/v189/dextersgenius/signature1.gif

ceo

Stay disciplined
LOL, deXter,
I loved your out of box thinking.

"skip the BIOS itself"
"Skip the mobo itself!"

I'd never dream that I'd even read this somewhere : )
I'm looking to purchase a 120-160GB HDD myself (any recommendations?) and install on a older MB with a non-updated BIOS. So I'd need to update the BIOS too, which may cause problems. If it goes smooth, great. If not, I'm thinking of alternatives...

Your solution is innovative, but may not work for me, because I need to upgrade on this existing system primarily because the current 'C:" partition on the HDD needs to remain one OS (Win98). If I were to use this HDD as your example -2GB HDD for an OS< it would not do, since I cannot want to install XP 'on this one'

Anyways....
Just wanted to say, very creative thinking there, and also, I've searched a bit on the forums, but results were'nt great. What's a good 120-160GB HDD to purchase?

[deXter]

Journeyman
Thanks ceo..
Maxtor's are the best. Besides, Maxtor's firmware are also upgradable.

Deep

Version 2.0
nothing to worry i suppose..

I will also suggest skip BIOS and Mobo....

I am on Intel 810 Drive with 120 GB Seagate HDD and my Bios detects it as 60 GB HDD...

to be frank I just dont care...
Windows detects it as 120 GB and gives me around 112 GB...

so you too shall not worry much...old mobos and bios does not support high capacity drive..but OS will always detect it :)

Regards
Deep

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
go for disk drive overlay in disk manager . download the floppy creator or iso . it will work fine , if u follow the instructions CAREFULLY

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9911&highlight=

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9330&highlight=overlay

*www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/use_dwse.html

ceo

Stay disciplined
-

klinux, Deep & deXter, thanks for your comments...

Deep said:
to be frank I just dont care...
Windows detects it as 120 GB and gives me around 112 GB...
Deep
But is that Win 98 or XP or somehting else?

Deep

Version 2.0
Well I am on Windows XP but i think there should not be any problem with Windows 98 also

Deep

ceo

Stay disciplined
Hmm...... I've heard there will be...

This is what dexter said:
"Well the good news is that XP is not as dependent on the BIOS as other OSes. XP can autodetect a hard drive even if it isn't configured in the BIOS."

I assume strongly that Win98 comes in the 'other OSes' category....

ceo

Stay disciplined
Deep,
: )
Will probably try it... after I get some time to think over it within 2-3 days. The main issue with the 'harm' is that I do not prefer to buy a new HDD then if this soln. does not work...

If it means I would have to then upgrade Hardware to have a new HDD for myself, then I would prefer to wait on this....

Deep

Version 2.0
ohk then may be one way is buy it on condition that if things doesnt work then you will return but i doubt that any vendor will accept that (unless he is known person)

Deep

ceo

Stay disciplined

Deep said:
ohk then may be one way is buy it on condition that if things doesnt work then you will return but i doubt that any vendor will accept that (unless he is known person)
Deep

Yes, the best thing...
'return' not vendors where I can get it cheap : )
Have some known ones, but there again it means a Rs.2-300 premium at the least.

Thanks for all your help !

godsownman

Padawan
If I follow this method will I be able to access the HDD in DOS or in anyother OS viz .. Linux.

[deXter said:
]@Sonu Yadav,

Another alternative is to totally skip the BIOS itself. Now this may not seem so. uhm.. proper.. but the thing is it works, and you'll be able to use your full capacity, with partitioning and all.

What we have to understand here is that your BIOS is the main limitation. Theres no problem on the software part.

Well the good news is that XP is not as dependent on the BIOS as other OSes. XP can autodetect a hard drive even if it isn't configured in the BIOS.
But the problem here would be that you cannot have XP on the same drive. So here is the caveat: you'll need to use an additional drive.

Yeah, I told you this method isnt proper, but heck it works.

The additional HDD may be as small as 2 GB, so that it doesnt take much from your pocket.. (you can get 2 GB drives for as low as 200/-).

1) Install your 2GB (or greater) drive as Primary Master
2) Install your 160 GB as Primary Slave.
3) Goto the CMOS Setup and Enable the Option for Primary Master as Autodetect, and Primary Slave as "Not Installed". Note: it is very important to set your Primary Slave as "Not Installed"- as this will make the BIOS think that there is no HDD, hence XP will be forced to autodetect
4) Save the BIOS settings, exit
5) Now insert the XP setup CD and format your 2GB (or greater) drive. If you did the above steps properly, then you should only see your 2GB drive and not the 160 gb drive.
6) Install XP as usual.
7) After installation, install XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
8} After SP2, fire up Disk Management
(Start -> Run -> diskmgmt.msc )
9) Now you should be able to see your 160 GB drive in the disk management console. Now you may format, partition or do whatever

And if you dont- Well then get the Intel Chipset drivers from the Intel website. Install, restart and check again.

If it still doesnt show the full capacity, then I'm sorry looks like your Mobo may not support it at all..

----

If the above doesnt work:

Well now we know that your Mobo too is a limitation. So the answer is as simple as the previous one -> Skip the mobo itself!

Yeah! The solution would be to again use a 2GB (or greater) drive as your primary master, install xp and all. But how to connect your drive? Use an IDE-USB converter!! Well another unconventional solution, sorry, but I cant think of anything else :)

But it WILL work, afterall your main aim is to use all your 160 GB.. So you can get a IDE to USB converter (costs anywhere between 500 - 3000) (A quick check on BaaZee.com shows an IDE-USB2.0 converter is available for ~1200 bucks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom