icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys, need your help.

I have the following configuration

AMD 64 3500+
2*512 RAM
DFI Lan Party Ultra D mobo
XFX 7900GT
2*120GB SATA (SEAGATE) + 160GB SATA (MAXTOR)
1 DVD Writer from Sony
1 DVD reader from Samsung
Samsung keyboard and Microsoft Mouse
Sasung 17 inch monitor
Antec 400W SMPS

Offlate I have been having some serious issues. First my power supply went. For which after several attempts to fix it by Antec (and still not done by the way) the dealer gave me a Coolermaster 400W as a temp replacement. First one of my my hdd became inaccessible. The 160 GB one. I had to recover the data onto my friends external HDD and format it. And then after a few days, the system just hung. Upon reboot it would just stop at the bootup screen where it detects the hardware. It detects the CPU and the memory...takes a while to detect the Optical drives, then it does not detect the HDD's at all..and does not go beyond that stage. I then have to shut down the System for a while and then boot it up for it work for a bit and then the process repeats as in the system hangs, reboot and then nothing. Am really stuck. So I have the following questions:

Now my questions are as follows ?

1) Is the above SMPS enough for the mentioned config ?
2) Is there a way to calculate the required powersupply based on certain inputs ? I remem seeing one somewhere earlier.
3) Anything else could be the issue ? (such as bios upgrades or firmware patches and so on)

I have a AV and firewall well configured and all this goes thru a router anyways so thats ruled out as an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
If u can upgrade ur PSU..to 550W
Check ur RAM modules with Mem test..

Last edited:
T

thunderbird.117

icecoolz said:
Hey guys, need your help.

I have the following configuration

AMD 64 3500+
2*512 RAM
DFI Lan Party Ultra D mobo
XFX 7900GT
2*120GB SATA (SEAGATE) + 160GB SATA (MAXTOR)
1 DVD Writer from Sony
1 DVD reader from Samsung
Samsung keyboard and Microsoft Mouse
Sasung 17 inch monitor
Antec 400W SMPS

Offlate I have been having some serious issues. First my power supply went. For which after several attempts to fix it by Antec (and still not done by the way) the dealer gave me a Coolermaster 400W as a temp replacement. First one of my my hdd became inaccessible. The 160 GB one. I had to recover the data onto my friends external HDD and format it. And then after a few days, the system just hung. Upon reboot it would just stop at the bootup screen where it detects the hardware. It detects the CPU and the memory...takes a while to detect the Optical drives, then it does not detect the HDD's at all..and does not go beyond that stage. I then have to shut down the System for a while and then boot it up for it work for a bit and then the process repeats as in the system hangs, reboot and then nothing. Am really stuck. So I have the following questions:

Now my questions are as follows ?

1) Is the above SMPS enough for the mentioned config ?
2) Is there a way to calculate the required powersupply based on certain inputs ? I remem seeing one somewhere earlier.
3) Anything else could be the issue ? (such as bios upgrades or firmware patches and so on)

I have a AV and firewall well configured and all this goes thru a router anyways so thats ruled out as an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks all

XFX 7900GT takes lot of power. I suggest you get around 700 or higher watts.

shantanu

Technomancer
YOUR CONFIG WILL APPROX TAKE 370 watts AT MOST BY CALCULATION OF POWER TAKEN... SO YOU HAVE TO INSTALL ATLEAST A 550 watt PSU COZ WHILE GAMING OR CONSTANT SYSTEM USAGE THE POWER SUPPLY WILL BE @ 500 WATTS ATMOST So ANTEC OR COOLING MASTER 550 watt will work

OP
I

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Thanks Kiran. Very useful link. Guys, this is the Antec True Power Series. And I know for a fact that there are systems out there which need 500W but runs fine on the 400W one from Antec. And from using the calculator I can see that I have enough power to run. Constant running of system varies the voltages, I dont see how the power quotient changes. Oh I did find out one wierd thing. I changed the Sata connectors around to different ports and now everything works fine. (Did this twice...switchin back to the original positions) So any ideas ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom