Hacker releases Symantec source code

astroutkarsh

Canon EOS 600D / 1000D
Just going through the Google News before leaving office...
found this Hacker releases Symantec source code | Reuters

Ronnie11

Judgement Time!!
Symantec had previously confirmed the hacker, part of a group called Lords of Dharmaraja and affiliated with Anonymous, was in possession of source code for its products, obtained in a 2006 breach of the company's networks.

The email exchange released by the hacker, who claims to be based in Mumbai, India, shows drawn-out negotiations with a purported Symantec employee starting on January 18.
Lords of Dharmaraja??What group is this??Is this group based in India??Lol..someone from mumbai did this..damn... :D

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Good. Now if someone can tweak the bloatware to run efficiently, and take up less resources.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
From Claims by Anonymous about Symantec Source Code | Symantec
Symantec can confirm that the source code for pcAnywhere has been posted publicly. It is part of the original cache of code for 2006 versions of the products that Anonymous has claimed to possess throughout the past few weeks. Symantec was prepared for the code to be posted at some point and has developed and distributed a series of patches since Jan. 23rd to protect pcAnywhere users against known vulnerabilities.

So, it seems Symantec released patches only when source is being made available. Open source does make softwares secure. :p

doomgiver

Warframe
[sarcastic_smile] people still use antiviruses ? [/sarcastic_smile]
4 virus attacks till date on my 3 yr old lapptop. each caused near-catastrophic failure (windows not booting, explorer corrupted, screwed up os, etc) all were due to my trying to install a "crack", but i got the laptop working just fine, coz i have a few aces up my sleeve.

i've never formatted/reinstalled windows due to a virus attack, i dont run a antivirus/firewall. i even neglect to update the win defender.
i just run a rootkit/malware remover every 3-4 months and refrain from clicking malicious links or software.

you dont have to use a antivirus to be safe, you just have to use common sense.

[EVIL SMILE]Downloading the source via torrent[/EVIL SMILE]
just as planned xD

Good. Now if someone can tweak the bloatware to run efficiently, and take up less resources.
WORD!!!!

From Claims by Anonymous about Symantec Source Code | Symantec

So, it seems Symantec released patches only when source is being made available. Open source does make softwares secure. :p

not in the sense that "open source" usually has :)

Top Bottom