Guys Dont Upgrade to AM2 socket

Status
Not open for further replies.

zuala77

Broken In
Hi....i have just bought a new rig....AMD 4200+ dualcore like a month back....but now people are saying to go for Am2 socket...but as i did some research......i found out at annand tech that the difference between Am2 and 939 is only 1% so boy am i glad......so guys...stick with ur 939 mobo and cpu....its still a beast... and here is the link..
*www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2762

Last edited:

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
ddr2 means higher latency .... and unless u can get ultra low latency ddr2 modules (which will cost like hell) the performanc gain will barely be noticeable .. i read in a review that the performance diff. is really visible if u have a FX62 coupled with the nForce 590 and 2 GB of ddr 667 corsair SLi ready mem. (low latency) ... u think u can afford that ???

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
There is a speed difference between the speeds of ddr and ddr2.But on an average budget u will get a high latency ddr2 module,,,so not much diff..
Is it advisable to get a ddr2 high latecy ram instead of a ddr with a low latecy??
How much does AMD Atlon64 FX 62 cost?'
And a compatible mobo??

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
You don't buy socket AM2 now for higher performance. You do it because you get better options while upgrading your proccy later on. Plus you get better features with AM2 mobo's.

OP
Z

zuala77

Broken In
hi

The cost of Fx62 is @ 65,000 for the Cpu alone...thats what my friend from Singapopre told me....anyways...i reached 3GHZ with 64X2 4200+ last night...Fx runs @ 2.8.
I am presently using watercooling.....but after priming for 4 hours it gave error....my temps were 53.....max...it was hovering around 49.. guess i will have to add twoo 120mm fans....

Guys a new 64 bit Driver has come out V 1.3

OP
Z

zuala77

Broken In
hi

hi.....about affording the fx 62 or other cpu.....its no problem.....its just availability...besides..i just called up a friend here in india and....asked him how much will i have to pay he said around 60000 to 65000 for the cpu...plus little extra......the only problem i have is that....AM2 boards...are quiet hard to find....besides having a Mercedes E class and serveral cars my aim is to go for the best...rig.....i have already ordered two N7800 GTX cards....i hope it will reach next week..i had to sheel out 80000 for this cards......and besides u should not judge a person..any person wheather he is rich or poor....wheather he can afford it or not....maybe they can or cannot ...... or maybe it is a poor mans dream of having.....its not anyones proble........dont take it wrongly.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
Or rather ... not spending the money stupidly .... and going for the best overall and not the best sounding ... u could have gone for a X1900XTX Crossfire .. much better than a 7800GTX SLi ... like u said if u can afford it u should get it ...

OP
Z

zuala77

Broken In
hi

...ok...u r right.........but.....the dealer i am getting it from....says its not easily available...and it needs more time...anyways...what is the difference in terms of performance...i could not find any...and me being an Nvidia Man...

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Earlier AM2 cores may have some problems, but the consecutive cores would be quiet good I guess. So my advice (for those want it) is wait for atleast 3 months before you make your decision so that you'll have quiet a few variants from AM2 to choose from.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
zombie said:
Earlier AM2 cores may have some problems, but the consecutive cores would be quiet good I guess. So my advice (for those want it) is wait for atleast 3 months before you make your decision so that you'll have quiet a few variants from AM2 to choose from.

This is exactly what I would also suggest. By that time Conroe may also be available and the competition will be fierce and the prices should come down drastically.

MysticHalo

Your Maker.
AM2 allows RAM support for more than 4 GB...thats the only advantage ATM
BTW, Conroe > Socket A+ Current AMD processors
Lets hope AMD gets some new 3 Ghz+ dual Core soon ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom