[guide] Linux Lingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Thisz my article for ngage mag of the TOI group.. so pls don't mind the simple lang used....

So you’ve just installed a new distro of linux and are confused with some terminal commands? You don’t know how to install applications? You can’t access your windows partitions? You can unzip or untar your compressed files? Don’t worry! We are here to help you…

ACCESSING YOUR WINDOWS PARTITIONS ON LINUX

A very nice feature on linux distros is the support for windows partitions. This helps you to save or open you existing files without having to boot into windows. But, linux names the partitions as hda1, hdb3, hda5 etc. Normally your C: is hda1, your D: is hda5, your E: is hda6 and so on. In most modern distros, the partitions are mounted automatically. But in some Red Hat based distros like Fedora Core, you need to mount the partitions manually…

First create a folder in /mnt say ‘Cdrive’. Suppose you have a Fat 32 partition and you want to mount C:. Then the command you need to type in terminal(linux equivalent of Dos-prompt) is:

mount –t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/Cdrive

UNDERSTANDING FILE TYPES

This is another very important aspect of linux. Different distros have support for different file types. Red hat based distros support .rpm files while debian based distros support the .deb extension. All the distros support tarballs(.tar and .tar.gz file types).

INSTALLING APPLICATIONS

Installing an application can be a tricky job in linux. While .deb and .rpm files can be installed automatically, the tarballs have to be manually compiled and installed.

Suppose you have a .tar file say ‘nvidia.tar’

First create a folder in /home say ‘folder’ and move the file to the folder

Now, un-tar the file in the folder using the command ‘tar –xvzf nvidia.tar’

After un-compressing its time to compile and install the file:

1. Type ./configure and press enter
2. If its successful, type make all
3. Then install it using the command make install

Now you can access your program from ‘/usr/local/bin’ or refer to the README file to know where it is installed.

Last edited:

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Hey there...

Fine tutorial...

But don't the hard-core Linux-users prefer to mount their FAT and NTFS(mount -t ntfs /dev/hda2 /mnt/Ddrive) on the /media directory?

Just a possible diff in opinion... :p

BTW i first rushed in coz I thot this had Linux Lingos and not tutorials..

If you got the word wrong, plz correct it..

Coz Lingo = Commonly used word by a certain gruop of ppl... Source

Well.. not to get others dissappointed...

Linux Lingos - the real ones..

:arrow: Distro = Distribution aka Flavour
:arrow: Live CD = CD which can be used to actually feel the OS before installing...

More coming soon...

Maverick340

Ambassador of Buzz
mail2and said:
1. Type ./configure and press enter
2. If its successful, type make all
3. Then install it using the command make install

Now you can access your program from ‘/usr/local/bin’ or refer to the README file to know where it is installed.
-Anand Batra[/quote]

where dya type ./configure (is the 'dot' i mistake or actually?)
I also experiednced alot of troubles installing S/w frm the Linux section in March 05 DVD(refer to topic name Packages in open source section for more)
Is some one wud care to explai nbasics of Mandrake Linux 10.1 or gimm a link or least sugggest me a good book it would be appriciated... :wink:

linuxg33k

Broken In
First create a folder in /mnt say ‘Cdrive’.

Can we create "folders" in linux ? As far as I know we create directories.

First create a folder in /home say ‘folder’ and move the file to the folder

More folders ????

Well I dont mean to criticize but in my linux users group Win$ terminology in Linux is banned. Also the Subject Linux Lingo misguides.

[edit:techno] do not post images unnessacerily
post images only relevent to the post topic

OP
mail2and

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
o learned sir

mebbe in your LUG this language is banned. But this was never meant for such a learned person like you. It is meant for the lesser learnt and lesser fortunate human beings who read a magazine every week.

hope this solves the issues ;)

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
linuxg33k said:
Can we create "folders" in linux ? As far as I know we create directories.
directories and folders are the same thing. For that matter, Micro$oft is not entitled to use the term Windows to represent their family of operating systems, since the first WIndows software was developed by MIT Labs and called a X-Windows, X being the name of the X windowing project's name

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom