Grub install failed while installing kubuntu 12.04

Hi friends. I was trying to install kubuntu 12.04 from usb stick. I chose that the bootloader should be installed to "dev/sda". The installation went smoothly until at the end it displayed something like grub install failed to dev/sda. Without it you cannot boot into ubuntu. Please tell me what to do in order to solve this problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Please

OP
Harsh Pranami

Harsh Pranami

Padawan
You mean boot repair disk?? I'm already downloading it.It will take at least one day on my 2g connection. Isn't there any other way?

nikufellow

In the zone
This happens to me while installing xubuntu from time to time what i do is turn on download updates while installing option and it somehow resolves the issue but since you are on 2g i don't think it'll be of any use to you. You can always post logs into Ubuntu forum for help

OP
Harsh Pranami

Harsh Pranami

Padawan
Ran into other problem. Now laptop is overheating while running the set up. I googled and found that this had something to do with dual graphics. The dedicated graphics runs on too much power. And it can only be fixed by installing radeon drivers. How am I suppose to do that without ubuntu installed.

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Well, yeah, it will run on dGPU before you install drivers. But laptop shouldn't overheat that fast. Check for dust accumulation, or see if something is blocking the ventilation port.

You can install fglrx drivers after you've done ubuntu.

OP
Harsh Pranami

Harsh Pranami

Padawan
Did it!!! Disabled my dedicated graphics through terminal and then everything was as smooth as butter. For overheating problem:

- - - Updated - - -

*planetoss.com/articles/how-to-disable-the-discrete-amd-graphics-card-in-linux/

- - - Updated - - -

And for grub install failed problem

- - - Updated - - -

*www.howtogeek.com/114884/how-to-repair-grub2-when-ubuntu-wont-boot/

aaruni

The Linux Guy
vgaswitcheroo never worked for me, so didn't suggest it.

also, that grub install fixer is boot-repair....

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just blacklist radeon (for AMD) or nouveau (for nVidia) modules to disable discrete GPUs on Linux.

Using Intel is always smooth as far as laptop graphics in Linux are concerned.

Top Bottom