graphics card overheats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sankalp

Journeyman
i have a MSI starforce Geforce fx 5200 128 mb graphics card. recently the graphics card has started to heat up a lot and the screen goes blank when it heats up too much. I have positioned a fan under its heatsink which keeps the pc going for a longer time. but the card still overheats and shuts down within 20 mins. Earlier XP reported that there was a problem with the driver. but even after updating the driver the problem exists. moreover the heating problem is taken place even though no movies or games r being played and neither the card has been overclocked.

Does ne1 know where the problem lies? (In one site i read that the vga card has a tendency to heat up bfore failing. Is it true?)

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Either u'r AGP or PCI-X slot has become faulty or SMPS is supplying less power due to which the graphics card is in a strain/stress.
Check both the possibilities.

Lastly, graphics card may have become faulty.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Try putting u'r agp card in another PC.
If it works there, then probably u'r agp slot or u'r smps is faulty.

If it doesnt work there, i mean if it overheats in another system too, then agp card is faulty.

Also try putting a new or borrowed agp card in u'r system, if it works then u'r agp card is faulty.

g_goyal2000

Youngling
Since, none of the above mentioned solutions helped u, my guess is, u'r display card has gone kaput!!!!
Get it checked...
Time to buy a new display card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom