Graphics card no display

harsvp

Broken In
Hi

I have a Sapphire R7 250 which has stopped working properly.

Whenever I switch On the pc it doesn't boot directly but after I try a few times it boots. However, after it's switched on & everything is working fine, the display just goes off. This happens after a few minutes of turning the pc on.

When I removed the card and plugged the monitor directly to my motherboard, I didn't face any issues. Which means theres something wrong with the card.

Any ideas on how this can be fixed?

Thanks.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hi

I have a Sapphire R7 250 which has stopped working properly.

Whenever I switch On the pc it doesn't boot directly but after I try a few times it boots. However, after it's switched on & everything is working fine, the display just goes off. This happens after a few minutes of turning the pc on.

When I removed the card and plugged the monitor directly to my motherboard, I didn't face any issues. Which means theres something wrong with the card.

Any ideas on how this can be fixed?

Thanks.

Do the usual clean the pci-e slot with isopropyl alcohol and the gpu connector too.
Check the signal cable of the monitor.
If you can remove the heatsink and fan of the gpu .. clean them. Apply a fresh coat of thermal paste ( CM, artic, Noctua etc. ) on the gpu chip and reassemble the gpu heatsink and fan.

OP
H

harsvp

Broken In
Do the usual clean the pci-e slot with isopropyl alcohol and the gpu connector too.
Check the signal cable of the monitor.
If you can remove the heatsink and fan of the gpu .. clean them. Apply a fresh coat of thermal paste ( CM, artic, Noctua etc. ) on the gpu chip and reassemble the gpu heatsink and fan.

Thanks for yor response.

I'm currently using a gpu (gt730) borrowed from my friend and the pc boots properly and no issues with the display, which means the pci-e slot is working fine. So there's something wrong with my gpu.

Do you think cleaning the heat sink and applying new thermal paste will repair the gpu? I need to mention that I've been using this card for the past 7 years and never faced any issues with it until now. I would definitely want it fixed because the current one I'm using is just a basic card.

Please let me know. Thanks.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for yor response.

I'm currently using a gpu (gt730) borrowed from my friend and the pc boots properly and no issues with the display, which means the pci-e slot is working fine. So there's something wrong with my gpu.

Do you think cleaning the heat sink and applying new thermal paste will repair the gpu? I need to mention that I've been using this card for the past 7 years and never faced any issues with it until now. I would definitely want it fixed because the current one I'm using is just a basic card.

Please let me know. Thanks.

If the gpu has overheating issue then it shall fix it ... nonetheless it's worth reapplying thermal interface material as the graphic card is 7 years old. You have too little to loose here. You can use CM Master Gel Pro around 450 bucks which is easily available in most places.

OP
H

harsvp

Broken In
If the gpu has overheating issue then it shall fix it ... nonetheless it's worth reapplying thermal interface material as the graphic card is 7 years old. You have too little to loose here. You can use CM Master Gel Pro around 450 bucks which is easily available in most places.

I didn't notice any heating issue but I'll try this out & see if it works.

Top Bottom