GPU for HTPC with hardware decoding for HEVC (h265) 10 bit

ssb1551

Technomancer
Hi All,

I intend to convert my rig 2 in my signature to an HTPC. But my current CPU+GPU (Athlon II X4 635 + Radeon HD4650) struggle to play 10 bit HEVC (h265) - quite understandably since they are 6 years old. Can someone please help me to opt for a GPU with h265 decoding capabilities? I know GTX 960 was the 1st GPU to have full hardware decoding and encoding for HEVC. But I dont wanna pay 16k for a card that will be used as an HTPC component. Does a GTX 950 have the full hardware decoding for h265? Also can a RX 460 do the job? Since I found one at primeabgb for less than 10k.
Buy Online | HIS RX 460 iCooler OC 2GB Graphic Card HS-460R2SCNR | Price in Indi

Or if anyone can suggest some other cheaper option I will be thankful.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nvidia GeForce GTX 950 Review | TechSpot Indi
AMD Radeon RX 460 Review: Built for E-sports and Low Power Systems but Terrible in Price? : Trending News : University Heral
Both GTX950 & RX460 have h265 decoding & i doubt a cheaper option.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^Ok. I guess it makes sense to go with the cheapest GPU for the job i.e. RX 460. I dont think spending northwards of 10k will make any sense.

quicky008

Technomancer
Try using potplayer -its very efficient and keeps cpu usage to moderate levels even while playing high quality hevc files.Using potplayer i've played 1080p hevc files on an older dual core rig smoothly with no issues whatsoever-as you've a quad core cpu,you should get even better results on your system.

Minion

Conversation Architect
@OP Do you have a 10 bit monitor?If no then getting GPU for 10 bit HEVC is waste you will not see any visual difference between 8 bit and 10 bit if your monitor doesn't support 10 bit.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Try using potplayer -its very efficient and keeps cpu usage to moderate levels even while playing high quality hevc files.Using potplayer i've played 1080p hevc files on an older dual core rig smoothly with no issues whatsoever-as you've a quad core cpu,you should get even better results on your system.

Hey thanks for the info. Didn't know about pot-player. I fiddled around with kodi. But even in kodi forums people are of the opinion that one needs a GPU with hardware decoding for HEVC in order to play the files smoothly without the CPU usage spiking to northwards of 50-60%.

- - - Updated - - -

@OP Do you have a 10 bit monitor?If no then getting GPU for 10 bit HEVC is waste you will not see any visual difference between 8 bit and 10 bit if your monitor doesn't support 10 bit.

I don't know that piece of information. Let me find it out from the official website of BenQ.

Update : Its an 8-bit panel. Then why does MPC use more than 60-70% while playing a HEVC movie file? Do you guys think its the processor?

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Imo just upgrade your CPU to a i3 as all new I series CPU have iGpU which have native HEVC decoding
And yeah 10Bit doesn't give much difference over 8Bit and all those 10Bit rips aren't even actual 10Bits
They are just 10Bits for better compression and not for better picture quality

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Minion

Conversation Architect
Hey thanks for the info. Didn't know about pot-player. I fiddled around with kodi. But even in kodi forums people are of the opinion that one needs a GPU with hardware decoding for HEVC in order to play the files smoothly without the CPU usage spiking to northwards of 50-60%.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know that piece of information. Let me find it out from the official website of BenQ.

Update : Its an 8-bit panel. Then why does MPC use more than 60-70% while playing a HEVC movie file? Do you guys think its the processor?

Radeon 4650 doesn't support native decoding of HEVC that is why when you play HEVC they are being decoded with CPU a simple solution to this would be buy a low end latest GPU or download movies in H.264 formats. HEVC is already CPU intensive and 10 bits are even more CPU intensive.

I would go with later option since in your case there will be no difference in PQ as you are using 8 bit monitor.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Imo just upgrade your CPU to a i3 as all new I series CPU have iGpU which have native HEVC decoding
And yeah 10Bit doesn't give much difference over 8Bit and all those 10Bit rips aren't even actual 10Bits
They are just 10Bits for better compression and not for better picture quality

I already assembled 1 Skylake rig (i5 6500) so dont wanna go for an i3 6th gen. Moreover I gotta buy a Motherboard for it - which I dont wanna. Not to mention the fact that Zen might run on my MSI 970A-G43. Thats why I am looking at only GPU option.

- - - Updated - - -

Radeon 4650 doesn't support native decoding of HEVC that is why when you play HEVC they are being decoded with CPU a simple solution to this would be buy a low end latest GPU or download movies in H.264 formats. HEVC is already CPU intensive and 10 bits are even more CPU intensive.

I would go with later option since in your case there will be no difference in PQ as you are using 8 bit monitor.
Yeah HEVC came 2-3 years after 4650 was launched. None of the low end latest GPUs have hardware decoding for HEVC.The lowest and cheapest ones are GTX 950 and RX 460. So I gotta pick between 2 of those. Hence I opened the thread if anyone knows any other cheaper GPU with hardware decoding for HEVC.

jodo_c

Broken In
I can easily play HEVC files with vlc player on my AMD Athlon II X2 260 and I don't have a discrete GPU btw.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
I already assembled 1 Skylake rig (i5 6500) so dont wanna go for an i3 6th gen. Moreover I gotta buy a Motherboard for it - which I dont wanna. Not to mention the fact that Zen might run on my MSI 970A-G43. Thats why I am looking at only GPU option.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah HEVC came 2-3 years after 4650 was launched. None of the low end latest GPUs have hardware decoding for HEVC.The lowest and cheapest ones are GTX 950 and RX 460. So I gotta pick between 2 of those. Hence I opened the thread if anyone knows any other cheaper GPU with hardware decoding for HEVC.

Zen will use AM4 not am3 so won't run on your motherboard

Also even I have a 955 and 7770 ( see my signature) and my rig can play all HEVC files nicely

Will update with 10 bit ones in a while

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
Zen will use AM4 not am3 so won't run on your motherboard

Also even I have a 955 and 7770 ( see my signature) and my rig can play all HEVC files nicely

Will update with 10 bit ones in a while

Yeah Zen will be based on AM4 but from what few articles I have read on the net I have got an idea that Zen will be backwards compatible with AM3+ Boards. Hence I am keeping my fingers-crossed hehe lol

You have a Phenom II X4 which is way powerful than my Athlon II X4. Maybe thats why you are able to play the 1080p HEVC files smoothly.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
So just tried with 1080p 10 Bit and it also works fine with 30% CPU usage

IMO change your player
I use MPC HC

supergamer

supa supa
9 year old intel quad here.
Running 'Big Hero 6' 1080p 10bit hevc RIP.
CPU usage
15-30% in VLC
and only 10-15% in MPC-HC

Encoding HEVC on CPU is still a nightmare though. There aren't and proper GPU encoders so far.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
So just tried with 1080p 10 Bit and it also works fine with 30% CPU usage

IMO change your player
I use MPC HC

Me too - I use MPC. Guess there was something wrong with the file/files. I'll download some other HEVC files, check and update.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lots of myths here in this thread so going to clear a few:

1.One doesn't need a 10bit monitor to benefit from a 10bit h265 properly encoded file(10bit allows better compression which helps in more headroom for employing various techniques to improve encoding quality while maintaining same bitrate).

2.It is not the codec but the bitrate that matters more.A low bitrate 1080p 10bit h265 can be played by a 9 year old intel quad core processor but a high rate 720p h265 can make an i3 work overtime.

3.both MPC-HC & Potplayer use variation of ffmpeg video decoder by default so if everything else is working correctly there should not be any difference or very little difference between their playback performance regarding cpu usage.

OP
ssb1551

ssb1551

Technomancer
^^ Really liked the 1st 2 points. So will a GPU with hardware decoding for HEVC help at all or should I just buy a FX 8350? :p

Top Bottom