GPS in INDIA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireblues

Broken In
Hi Friends,

I have decided to buy a GPS powered Mobile. I am confused that is there any service provider for that in india? or its free service? or.... just a GPS device is enough for using GPS... ?

I am living in chennai/...

Kindly Guide me....

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
There is no regional service provider for GPS since it uses a global set up of satellites that orbit the earth.

It's free as long you have a proper GPS receiver on board. AGPS (assisted GPS) software uses network data to get your location co-ordinates and for that, you need a data plan. Make sure your phone has GPS and not just AGPS. GPS performance varies from handset to handset and what might work flawlessly in the U.S. might not have such good reception in India, so Google around for reviews before you buy one.

If you're buying a Nokia, head over to Nokia Maps to download the latest updates. Sony Ericsson does not provide a proprietary map but rather uses a custom build of Google Maps (google.com/gmm).

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
A few ASUS mobiles comes with free SatGuide maps and its completely free. but if you want map updates then you need to buy them from SatNav i.e., the company which sells satguide. AFAIK about 50+ indian cities are covered in the mobile maps including turn by turn navigation voice prompts .
From what I have heard.. Nokia maps are 3 months trial only. where as the satguide maps are which comes bundled with ASUS phones are free for ever.. unless you need a map upgrade.

Check out these models from ASUS which comes with free indian maps.
ASUS P527 about 16K
ASUS P750 about 22K ( I have this phone :D )
ASUS P565 ( 800 MHz Processor ) ;) abt 30K
There is one more product ASUS P552w with 624MHz processor (not sure if it comes with maps) I will let you know abt the price and maps on tuesday .
EDIT: All the mobile phones mentioned are Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional Phones (Professional means with touch screen)
if you are in bangalore then drop me a PM and I will give additional details.

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Nokia maps are 3 months trial only. where as the satguide maps are which comes bundled with ASUS phones are free for ever.. unless you need a map upgrade.
Err.. ALL cartographic data is always free, be it Nokia Maps, Google Maps, NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas. Revenue generation is through a subscription based model for turn-by-turn navigation. That's where Nokia and the other earn their dough.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Err.. ALL cartographic data is always free, be it Nokia Maps, Google Maps, NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas. Revenue generation is through a subscription based model for turn-by-turn navigation. That's where Nokia and the other earn their dough.

From what I have heard.. Nokia maps are 3 months trial only. where as the satguide maps are which comes bundled with ASUS phones are free for ever.. unless you need a map upgrade.

Thanks for correcting me

OP
F

fireblues

Broken In
So, If i buy GPS device i'll get the maps free.. and turn navigation Costs? rite? If so, in Google maps or Nokia Maps, Where to approch for Subscription? online or store ?

give me a layman tips for Using GPS device / mobile... pls

PaulBarber

Broken In
So, If i buy GPS device i'll get the maps free.. and turn navigation Costs? rite? If so, in Google maps or Nokia Maps, Where to approch for Subscription? online or store ?

give me a layman tips for Using GPS device / mobile... pls

Since you are in chennai, you can easily use Nokia maps (if you are buying a Nokia mobile). It has pretty good maps for chennai. Subscribe for turn-to-turn navigation only if you really need it. I dont know how good the navigation will be for indian cities. but I guess it wont be very good :(

Coool

I'm Back!:D
^^ have you used GPS Navigation before? :p

no. But, i saw a video in that they selected the place in delhi where they wanted to reach and started..after some directions it says destination reached at that time they were in the middle of the road..so they took help of human navigation and reached that place.

OP
F

fireblues

Broken In
Since you are in chennai, you can easily use Nokia maps (if you are buying a Nokia mobile). It has pretty good maps for chennai. Subscribe for turn-to-turn navigation only if you really need it. I dont know how good the navigation will be for indian cities. but I guess it wont be very good :(

But its easy to Buy Nokia Mobile... Where can i get subscription for Turn by turn navigation? in the same store where i can get mobile or some where else?

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
But its easy to Buy Nokia Mobile... Where can i get subscription for Turn by turn navigation? in the same store where i can get mobile or some where else?
The first 3 months of TbT are complimentary.

In Bombay: Google Maps>Garmin nuvi India maps>Nokia maps
In Delhi: Nokia Maps>Garmin nuvi>Google Maps

I put my nuvi 680 in my company car the other day and it navigated me from Colaba (south Bombay) to Bandra (suburb) without a hitch. Funnily enough, I also had Nokia Maps running on my dad's E90 and it either couldn't find the shortest route or kept losing the signal.

Last edited:

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Ahh gotcha.. you can renew your subscription online out here. Here's the rate chart:
*www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/th.816a96c2b9.jpg

Alternatively, you can renew it via your phone through Options > Extra Services > Add navigation > Purchase. Enter your CC # and follow the instructions.

Btw, Nokia just bought a German mobile applications company the other day, so expect a host of new features in Nokia Maps very soon. The current version (v3) is great, maybe v4 will be spectacular.

wowitsmrinal

Broken In
if you want a good phone, which doubles up as a great gps device, and are at a budget, get the ASUS P320 for Rs. 10,000. it has a sirf star III GPS chip. althought it doesn't come with GPS software, the download for full version (all-india maps) of mapmyindia black edition is just 60 MB (free) from popular ~ahem~ sites. Note that it doesn't have AGPS though but something like the QuickGPS fuction of HTC phones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom