gprs in ubuntu

hfoursna

Right off the assembly line
Iam a newbie to linux. I was using windows 7 upto now, and have installed ubuntu 10.10 also. I had used my nokia n95 to connect to internet with PC suite in windows 7.
Is there any software like PC suite that i can use to connect from my pc to internet from ubuntu?
Iam an "infant" in the world of linux, so please make the solutions simple

nasweef

Broken In
Step 1: Go to System -> Preferences -> Network Connections. The below screen pops up.
Step 2: Select the tab "Mobile Broadband". Click "Add"
Step 3: In the screen that opens, your mobile phone model is shown. Click "Forward" if the model shown is correct or select the correct model and click "Forward".
Step 4: The next screen asks you to select the Service Provider's Country. Select the country and click "Forward".
Step 5: The next screen lists the service providers present in the country selected in previous step. Select your service provider and click "Forward".
Step 6: The data plans available for the selected service provider is listed along with the plans APN. Select the plan you have subscribed to and click "Forward".
Step 7: The settings you have selected is shown. Click "Apply" to confirm the settings.
Step 8: In the next screen enter the dial up Number, Username, Password of the connection. Also give a suitable name for the connection in "Connection name" and then click "Apply".
Step 9: You are done with the setup. The Network Connections screen now shows the new connection under the tab "Mobile Broadband".
Step 10: To connect to the internet, click on the Connection icon in the toolbar and select your connection from the drop down list.

Find the original post along with screenshots at Tech Tips: Using mobile phone as modem to connect to internet from LINUX

utkarsh009

In the zone
Please do reply if the above method does not work although it works most of the times. There are other methods as well like wvdial for connecting to internet. If you have usb tethering feature in your phone then you can turn it on for directly connecting to internet.

Top Bottom