Good portable laptop required.

Best Ultrabook, Kindly suggest guys

• Dell Inspiron 13 5379

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Inspiron 13 7373( way over my budget)

• Macbook Air

• Total voters

aroraanant

Explorer
1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
approx 50k(though I can increase it)

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

• Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen- Most preferred.
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?
Mostly internet with atleast 50tabs opened at the same time and some normal work and some time viewing something on AutoCad, not designing though. My gaming days are gone.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
i5 8th generation is what I have thought for.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: Dell, Apple
b. Dislike: Acer, HP, lenovo

6) Anything else you would like to say?
  • Screen resolution ( 768p (HD) / 900p / 1080p (Full HD) ) Its time for FULL HD
  • Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) / extended (5-7hrs) ) The more the better
  • Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local / Abroad (do mention the country) Online as we get better offers, if there is something really very good available abroad which will not require maintenance then let me know I can outsource it from dubai, US and canada and even hong kong as well
I do own a macbook pro, and it is giving me a lot of troubles and getting it repaired puts a big hole in my pocket. I was considering Macbook Air, but non repairability of apple laptops in local market is making me shift to dell. But their performance is unmatched to any other laptops. But the ongoing Air model will be discontinued soon. Still confused for this.
Let me know getting a touch laptop will be a good idea or not? I am really confused in this regard as well. Do they give troubles in long run?

Here are some of the options I have shortlisted:
Dell Inspiron 13 5379 (cheapest touch option but without SSD)
Dell Inspiron 13 5370 (most preferred)
New Inspiron 13 7373 (most costliest, way over my budget)
Macbook Air(old model) is also on the list.

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
50 active tabs at once? You want 16GB (and expandable) ram?
Yes
I guess 8Gb for now would be enough.
But i m thinking SSD will add to its performance.
Some time back there was a very good offer on Macbook air, but the prices have been increased now.

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
You can get good laptops with ssd in this price range from USA/Dubai etc but you will have to sacrifice warranty.
That is one point of not getting one from outside India.
And also these days we are getting good offers online so buying from India is preferred but still if u have any particular model in mind then kindly share the link

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Yes
I guess 8Gb for now would be enough.
But i m thinking SSD will add to its performance.
Some time back there was a very good offer on Macbook air, but the prices have been increased now.

It's hard to find laptops with two ram slots in your budget. MB Air is too old and not even worth considering.

That is one point of not getting one from outside India.
And also these days we are getting good offers online so buying from India is preferred but still if u have any particular model in mind then kindly share the link
Nope. Doesn't matter whichever offer you get in India, the laptop would still be priced higher than those in USA/Dubai.

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
Nope. Doesn't matter whichever offer you get in India, the laptop would still be priced higher than those in USA/Dubai.
But is it worth to buy it from there considering that we won't be getting any warranty?
Any specific model u guys would suggest?

Touchscreen in laptops is useless IMO.

I bought a Dell XPS 13 with touchscreen for my father which I have been using while traveling. In my experience, I would have appreciated an anti-glare display instead of the glossy touchscreen.

If you have relatives or friends in the US, ask them to bring one for you. I bought XPS 13 9360 with i5 & 128GB SSD for $900.

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
Today I got my hands on Inspiron 5370 and believe me guys its a very nice machine. I loved it, I took my friend with me and he also liked it very much.The dealer quoted me 57500 for it.It has one advantage that it has got a finger print reader as well.The weight of the machine is quite less also.
We saw Inspiron 7373 touch laptop as well, the dealer told us 69500 for the same. Its a good machine but considering the price difference in above mentioned both machines, I don't think it is justified.
I have asked him to tell me the price of 5379 and also to arrange a demo of the same.

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
I saw few reviews on amazon and flipkart for 2in1 dell laptops, and people are not at all satisfied with them.
Now in dell 5370 is left.
I know macbook is very old but it performs far better than any of the other laptops available.only issue is its after sales service which is the main reason I m considering dell
Final suggestions guys?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Other than Dell 5370 I don't think there are better options with ssd.There is this LG laptop that's even slimmer & lighter at just 970g but not sure about after sales support of lg laptops in India.
*www.amazon.in/LG-Display-Windows-Back-lit-Keyboard/dp/B0793NSXW1

OP
aroraanant

aroraanant

Explorer
Other than Dell 5370 I don't think there are better options with ssd.There is this LG laptop that's even slimmer & lighter at just 970g but not sure about after sales support of lg laptops in India.
*www.amazon.in/LG-Display-Windows-Back-lit-Keyboard/dp/B0793NSXW1
Not interested in buying a LG product that too a laptop,
It is final call among Macbook air and dell inspiron 5370.
Now suggest me in terms of long life, reliability, performance that what is the best option right now among the two,l.
Macbook has got a very good battery back up that we all know. Its tough call for me, u people plz suggest.

Offtopic:
Now there are very less active members on this forum.
What has happened to digitians?
This forum seems to go slowly towards its end/deadzone

Last edited:

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Now suggest me in terms of long life, reliability, performance that what is the best option right now among the two,l.
Macbook has got a very good battery back up that we all know. Its tough call for me, u people plz suggest.

Offtopic:
I'd never recommend end of life products which are still selling at close to launch price.

Stormbringer

Ambassador of Buzz
The Macbook Air is rumored to be updated this year and supposed to be cheaper too. Wait till Apple's WWDC event early next month. You can have look at Lenovo 720 if you are importing from USA. Although I would prefer Dell as they provide International warranty.

Offtopic:
Unless you are an Apple fan, thMacBookook Air is too old to be recommended. It's shit considering its competitors. Any SSD Win10 laptop runs smooth.

Top Bottom