Going Arch ! Need Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Hi

I have used Arch Linux bu thaven't installed it bymyself.. My brother did it , but since I have quite a good experience I want something more powerful and which can boggle my mind.. I am downloading Arch 2008.6 X64 ISo..

I know ARCH is a LFS .. Therefore I want to know few things..

1. How to install it.. I have tried installing but since I didn't knew abc comands of Arch I gave up.. packman is the packege manager..
2. Will I be able to get Arch Package for ATI drivers ? Or I have to use ATI installer ?

3. I know Arch has great potent and its one of the best OS to learn Linux.. I have learnt quite a lot but I want to learn a lot.

4. I will be doing a dual boot with Ubuntu and if i get good going I will say bye bye Buntu..

5. What abt repos ? How many it has ..? What abt restricetd repo.. I know I am being a n00b here but I am the only one here who hasn't gave Arch a full shot...

I have a 512kbps UL net so downloading isn't a problem.. I'll install KDE mod 4.2 :) Also I am going to irrtate you guys a lot so get ready /:)

Regards

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Since this is your first time with Arch, follow the Beginner's Guide like the Bible while installing it.Wouldn't be a bad idea to take a printout of it before beginning the install.Also, I would recommend you choose the FTP install over CD install since 2008.06 iso has very old packages now.

I have no experience with ATI drivers.Arch does provide packages for both open-source and proprietary ati drivers.Arch wiki again rocks here...
*wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ATI

Arch has three repositories, namely [core], [extra] and [community].Besides it also has [testing] repos containing unstable beta packages and Arch User Repository(AUR).The last two shouldn't be your concern at the moment.! :D

KDEmod has it's own repos which you will need to add to /etc/pacman.conf and then simply install kdemod using pacman.You can find KDEmod4install guide here

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
On the contrary, every Arch user worth his salt should use the AUR imho. It gives a lot of packages not available on the regular community ones, most of them unsupported but should be okay as Arch is very stable.

If you want something to boggle your mind, I would suggest Slackware or Gentoo. No other Linux can test your mind more than these with the exception of maybe LFS. While Arch being a great distro, is very easy, very simple and up to the point. Once you follow the guide to the T and install it, it's all over. Then just update and use, update and use, rinse and repeat.

And stop the hopping already man, used Ubuntu to say bye to something else (Suse?), now using Arch to say bye to Ubuntu, next used something else to say bye to Arch, lol. Get one and get Fevicol ;)

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
FTP installl ?> Never did it..... Any guide or its is similar to that o CD install ?
Just follow the beginner's guide.It outlines all the steps you need to perform for FTP install.It's pretty similiar to CD install, except the fact that it will download latest installation packages from an FTP server rather than using outdated ones on the CD.After the download is finished rest all steps remain the same.
On the contrary, every Arch user worth his salt should use the AUR imho. It gives a lot of packages not available on the regular community ones, most of them unsupported but should be okay as Arch is very stable.
Agreed, but the guy is pretty new to Arch.So let him get a feel of the OS first before diving into ABS and AUR.

Personal advice: dont dual boot with ubuntu. It kills the joy of TRUE learning.
ArchLinux needs only one thing - patience to read the beginners and installers guides thoroughly and remember them, and to follow every step closely while installing. I personally advice you to keep a log book while installing/learning (both processes occur at the same time) archlinux. Later reinstall using log book. You would master arch almost 100%.

And yeah, learn to love archlinux.no norway mirror.

Learn to use Pacman and PowerPill.

Learn basic commandline navigation.

Learn nano editor. You can master it in 1 minute.

Learn to love AUR. Makes arch feel weirdly strange - you download a text file from internet along with a tarball and with a single command you have a package and with another command you have it installed.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Will not do FTP install ! WIll install it by CD only..Update will be done after the install..

So have to 1'st print 64pages :eek:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Arch Is easy to install and use.

The only problems come later. due to issues with programs and stuff like that.
Setting up is also easy. Thanks to Respective wikis and Arch Wiki.

To learn Linux system use Gentoo as its a community of complete hardcore geeks or better LFS..

In the end to really learn linux stick to a good refrence text book along with practials. Will save you lot of time.

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Will not do FTP install ! WIll install it by CD only..Update will be done after the install..

Wow...Didn't know it will take so many pages.You can view the Guide online on your GPRS phone like I did.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
The 'Beginners Guide' is comfortably placed in the installer cd iso, and is also present before the installation and you can simultaneously do both. I suggest you read the big Arch thread here.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

A little howto by me
*t.webofgoo.com/2008/07/11/arch-linux-installation-from-ground-up/

You just need some basic linux commands, of course you must know linux jargon

ThinkFree

Technomancer
The 'Beginners Guide' is comfortably placed in the installer cd iso, and is also present before the installation and you can simultaneously do both. I suggest you read the big Arch thread here.

Meant here> *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91551 ?

Rahim

Married!
Its in the install cd itself. Just open a new tty and log in as root and it will show where that guide is.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
Sorry was busy with studies can't install it..

So I wanna do it today or tommo.. The pages number are too much can someone point out which page to print ? Or should I print all of them ? If you can point some very essitial one required to set up distro.. I can do other installation afterwards write /

Also how I can do network install for latest packages ?

Also I want to install KDE 4.2 no other DE. So whats should I do ?

I am hesitating in installing it.. I haven't tried it thats why I am pretty scare :eek:

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Dude, just access the beginner's guide from a GPRS phone.If that's not possible, then keep a note/write down the steps you will need to get your net working and then just access the guide online via a browser on your arch install.You don't necessarily have to follow the steps in the order they are given in guide.
The guide included in install CD is pretty limited and outdated in comparison the the online one.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Dude why you want to print it ?? The beginners guide is present in the INSTALL DISK !!

Start the Install in Console No 1,
Change to Console 2 Via ALT + F2 !! The Login in again. Open the beginners guide from via this command during installation !! Switch back to Console 1 for Action and on.

# less /arch/beginnersguide.txt

Also after installing, mount and open the EXT3 partition in Windows. Then copy the beginners guide, and restart.
Else after install, insert cd rom, mount ntfs and copy to ntfs. via command line, if you can.
Its pretty easy... !!! Thanks Google.

Also its $hit easy, nothing to be scared of.
Pretty amusing that you are scared.

cfdisk is the only place where you can get screw up. Be careful, just don't change stuff for ntfs drives. modify only the partition where you are going to install Arch. That is delete them, re-create as Linux/Ext3, option no 83.

CFDISK is a easy to use Tool, but its navigation is pretty weird. Its bit different.

Last edited:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
The guide in the CD Is good enough, its not really outdated !!
Its enough for base install.

I am not sure if you can mount NTFS during live boot...

I don't think you can mount NTFS during live boot.
However, I suggest you to have a seperate /home partition all the time.
Keep a copy of the guide on this /home partition.
Then boot from live CD.

This way even for post install operations the guide can be easily accessed.

OP
Dark Star

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
I don't have NTFS partitions till date :p

How do I install KDE 4.2 directly during install ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom