GFX Upgrade - Effect on Configuration

Risspartan117

Broken In
Hi guys!

Logging in after years. Feels great to be back here.

I have been thinking of upgrading my graphic card. Please see my current rig in the Signature below. I currently have a GTX 670, which I am planning on replacing for the GTX1070. I am planning on making a much more ambitious rig soon (and will be coming knocking here again for that :p), but this is going to have to do, for now.

The thing I am not sure about is if this card is compatible with my motherboard and if my PSU good enough for the new configuration? Also, I am not sure if this makes a difference, but I am planning on buying the card from here in England, whereas all other components were bought when I was in India. If there are any compatibility issues I should be aware of, please let me know.

Grateful for all the help and reliable support.

Cheers!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
GTX 1070 is a 1440p GPU. Your current monitor is 1080p. Rest of the config won't bottleneck your GPU. If you plan to upgrade your rig to current ryzen or intel core i series lineup in coming 6-8 months, don't. Upgrade to a 1440p or 4k monitor with G-sync instead.

PS: Add at least a 120GB ssd for OS and essential applications.

vito scalleta

In the zone
Your motherboard is compatibe. But your psu has only one 8 pin power connector for the gpu. So go with a 1070 variant that requires only one 8 pin power connector.

OP
R

Risspartan117

Broken In
GTX 1070 is a 1440p GPU. Your current monitor is 1080p. Rest of the config won't bottleneck your GPU. If you plan to upgrade your rig to current ryzen or intel core i series lineup in coming 6-8 months, don't. Upgrade to a 1440p or 4k monitor with G-sync instead.

PS: Add at least a 120GB ssd for OS and essential applications.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting a new 2K monitor as well, probably in the next month or two. I don't mind the extra fps till then lol. Thanks for clearing my doubts. Really appreciate it. I wasn't planning on upgrading the processor unless it bottlenecks the GPU. At least not in the immediate future. Will definitely look into SSDs as well. Thanks again for helping. :)

OP
R

Risspartan117

Broken In
Sorry for the late reply guys. I really appreciate your time and help. Thank you all.

Unfortunately, I am in UK and the PC is in India with my brother, so I'm not able to check these details and get back to you guys promptly. Again, you have my apologies.

My brother has found two 6-pin cables (should be 8pins I assume, with the +2 bits hiding somewhere). So I think it should be fine. Once I make the purchase, I'll let you guys know. Thanks again everyone!

P.S. I'm also buying a new SSD and upgrading my RAM. Thinking of going for an aftermarket cooler and overclocking the processor. If budget allows, might get a new cabinet too. So, if anyone has any specific recommendation, please feel free to let me know. Will update everyone once it's ready. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Seasonic PSU of your's has 2x 6+2 pin pcie connector for graphic card. Go to this link :
Seasonic S12II-620

and click on the Cables tab. Locate the pic of pcie connector and send your brother the image and the link. He should be able to find these easily.

Top Bottom