Getting processor and RAM from the US via a friend - Advice Needed!

2kool2btrue

In the zone
Hello everyone,
I was wondering how much customs are charged if I get an i5-4570 and Kingston 4x2GB HyperX Blue RAM's from the US? A friend will be coming over soon so he will carry it along with him.
I have two queries -
1) Is there a way to not being charged by custom officers in India?
2) I know Intel Box Processors have international warranty. Does Kingston also offer International warranty on their RAMs? If not, then which other brand can I get which has international warranty?

I will be buying from Amazon as I have a gift card attached to my account.

If someone knows about this, please reply :)

Thanks!

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
yeah, he can bring in electronics items without paying customs. he will have to make it look like its being used, i.e., not in a new, boxed condition. :)

hope you get the drift.

but, if the custom official is foxy, he might ask where are the rest of the components for the PC. anyway, if your friend is clever enough, you can do it. ;)

OP
2kool2btrue

2kool2btrue

In the zone
thta's okay.. can he bring the box along though? I'm guessing he could do away with the seal and unpack it.
In any case, if the customs do end up charging? what % do they extort?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I bought an i5 4570 from Amazon.com and shipped it to India through a service called Comgateway, since I didn't have any friend who can carry it for me.
You might want to read this thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/shopping/176084-need-advice-buying-through-comgateway-first-time.html

From my own thread, "Amounts less than 10k (marked as gift) are exempted from import duty". But i5 4570 is more than 10k.
I guess a common practice to avoid customs is to get it gift wrapped. But I don't know if gift packs are still exempted from customs.

I guess Corsair have international warranty. Checkout this result from my google search: Corsair PSU's/RAM's International Warranty? - The Corsair User Forums

PS: I didn't know Intel processors have international warranty. If that's true, then I am happy I purchased it through US! :D

hitesh

In the zone
PS: I didn't know Intel processors have international warranty. If that's true, then I am happy I purchased it through US! :D

You purchased an i5 from US and didn't even checked if it had international warranty or not :p

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You purchased an i5 from US and didn't even checked if it had international warranty or not :p

Yup. That's because I had to use the voucher I won. And I needed to built a powerful machine. So I just trusted Intel.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
thta's okay.. can he bring the box along though? I'm guessing he could do away with the seal and unpack it.
In any case, if the customs do end up charging? what % do they extort?

are you sure thats extortion?? :lol:

yep, he can bring in the box packaging too.. open up the box fully along the folds and lay it out flat. then put it amongst the clothes. :)

Top Bottom