General queries regarding Jaunty + KDE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krow

Crowman
How do I reduce the startup and shutdown music volume?

How do I adjust desktop resolution to 1152x864 or 1280x960?

Does Internert work faster in Linux or has my ISP gone mad?
I get 44-48kb/s when downloading from repos and in general, I used to get avg spd of 27-31kbs in XP while torrenting and 29-32 while dling from internet. In Jaunty + KDE I'm getting avg spds of 35-36 torrents and normal about 38-40kb/s.

How do I make heirarchial charts in OpenOffice for Ubuntu?

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
1) Change the level of system sound.

2) Aren't those resolutions listed under the screen resolutions settings?

3) I too find internet faster in Linux than in Windows. Speeds are rocking.

4) No idea. Haven't done anytime.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Using KDE 4.2 (from repos).
So I went to system settings and found display from where I canged the resolution.
However I found only a multimedia option where I cant change any system sounds. How do I change system sounds?

May I add that I am ultra-noob in linux?

A

anarchist

4. Are you talking about organisation charts, that can be created using flow chart

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Are you talking about changing/replacing or reducing startup sounds? Your first & third post are contradicting!

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Can you guide me a bit more over there? OpenOffice draw or writer?
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
Are you talking about changing/replacing or reducing startup sounds? Your first & third post are contradicting!

Sorry for that. I want to reduce startup/shutdown volume.

Last edited:

Rahim

Married!
As for the faster net speed, Windows keeps or rather forcibly allocates 20% of the bandwidth for its components like updates and other core programs. Anti-vrus is another menace.

I don't like new users calling themselves as 'Ultra Noobs'.
We have all gone through that stage and we will give you plenty of love even if you were a geek :p
--------------------------------------

As for System Sound, go to System Settings > Notifications > System Notifications > Player Settings tab and change the Volume as desired.
----------------------------------

Waiting for other queries :)

Last edited:
OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
As for the faster net speed, Windows keeps or rather forcibly allocates 20% of the bandwidth for its components like updates and other core programs. Anti-vrus is another menace.
Another reason to switch to lin. Btw are you talkin abt the QoS packet scheduler in win?

I don't like new users calling themselves as 'Ultra Noobs'.
We have all gone through that stage and we will give you plenty of love even if you were a geek :p
--------------------------------------
Thanks for this. I feel better being a GUI linux user now.

As for System Sound, go to System Settings > Notifications > System Notifications > Player Settings tab and change the Volume as desired.
----------------------------------
Waiting for other queries :)
This worked 100%! Thanks again. I am very comfortable with kubuntu for now.
However, is there a native linux build of utorrent? kTorrent and Transmission both were buggy for me whereas utorrent with wine is working fine.

Rahim

Married!
No native utorrents. I use Vuze :p But since it uses Java, its resource hungry but I found Ktorrent and Transmission very rudimentary.
Whats so buggy with Ktorrent?

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
No native utorrents. I use Vuze :p But since it uses Java, its resource hungry but I found Ktorrent and Transmission very rudimentary.
Whats so buggy with Ktorrent?
Maybe its just me, but the torrents simply wouldn't start downloading. Tried many different torrents but it just wouldn't work. Regarding Transmission, I used it and liked it but after i completed downloading a video, and seeding 99%, it just stopped uploading or downloading, whereas i could browse sites with ease. I restarted and in XP things were just fine.

Deluge is as close as you can get to utorrent.
Okay I'll try it. Does it have auto shutdown feature? My main requirement is auto shutdown and of course protocol encryption and randomise port each start.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
One irritating problemo. FF becomes unresponsive when playing youtube videos. Also, I can't use www.speedtest.net. I downloaded te deb package of adobe flash player, but it doesnt install saying some error has occured...

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
^Did you update Firefox?

For Deluge Autoshutdown, check this.
FF 3.5.2. First package i manually downloaded and installed around 1-2 weeks ago :D. I can't do without FF(latest). Thanks for the link. Bookmarked. I'll report the results later.

Flash consumes a lot of CPU in Linux :p
Nice link Coool
I'll try some googling for that and report later.

Thanks for continued support both of you.

OP
Krow

Krow

Crowman
Yup, here I am back to kubuntu again! God I hate Windows. Had to bear it for Quark all these days... :(

Okay, new query. How to auto mount all my NTFS partitions at startup? Also, my display settings areconfigured to 1280x1024, which I like. But everytime I boot up, it reconfigures back to 800x600 and when I merely click on System Settings>Display, it reverts again (no need to manually reconfigure again). How do I make my system boot to 1280x1024?

Rahim

Married!
1: Mount Partitions: Edit your /etc/fstab file
First create a mount-point where you want your ntfs(windows) partitions to be accessed. Mine is at /media/win
Create as per your requirement. Usually partitions are mounted in /media directory.
Secondly, check which of the partitions are of NTFS format.
Code:
sudo fdisk -l
This will give an output like this (mine is)
/dev/sda1 * 1 10209 82003761 7 HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2 10210 22957 102398310 83 Linux
/dev/sda3 22958 36481 108631530 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 22958 25507 20482843+ 83 Linux
/dev/sda6 25508 28057 20482843+ 83 Linux

Open your /etc/fstab file
Code:
sudo kwrite /etc/fstab
& just add this line in fstab file of yours
/dev/sda1 /media/win ntfs-3g defaults 0 0

Change your partition names accordingly. Now this will mount all the partitions whose entry is made in fstab file.

You don't have to reboot after doing the above. Just enter sudo mount -a in Konsole and it will mount the partitions.

Edit & Understand FSTAB file
Guide to understand fstab file
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even i faced this annoying error in my KDE4 So i ran KrandTray :oops: and configured my resolution and fiddled with its options. Just save this session and log-off. When you login, the session manager will load that KrandTray applet automatically and it will change its resolution.
I still don't vouch if the efficiency of this method.
I think editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf might solve your problem but I don't have much knowledge about that :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom