Gaming RIG for a Veteran Gamer

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Mostly games like FPS, RPG, Strategy, MS Office, Browsing, Youtube, Netflix etc

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 1.2 Lakhs max

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Yes but mildly

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 10 Pro

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500GB M.2 SATA

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: 27 inches 1080p Gaming

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Nothing

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: As soon as I get a Good Suggestion, mostly in Dec,2018

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes, several times

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Secunderabad

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I am in early 40's and I and my daughter both spend about 60 hours combined every week which includes playing games, browsing and Youtube combined. I previously thought of going with any Gaming Laptop but it cannot be modified later down the years right. So I quit thinking of buying any laptop.

I have the following AMD Build in my mind.

AMD Gaming RIG (RX590 8GB)
Budget -130.5K

Processor -AMD Ryzen 5 2600x -19.2k
Motherboard -MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC -12.2k
Graphics Card -Sapphire RX590 8GB Nitro+ OC -26.9k
RAM -G.Skill RipJaws V 3200Mhz 16GB DDR4 (8GBx2) -12.1k
SSD -Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 SSD -13.5k
Power Supply -Antec Earthwtts Gold Pro 750w -7.5k
Cabinet -Cooler Master Masterbox LITE 5 RGB -5.4k
Monitor -BenQ GW2780 27inch IPS Panel -17k
KB -Corsair K55 RGB -3.6k
Mouse -Corsair Harpoon RGB Mouse -1.7k
UPS -APC 1.1KVA -5.6k
RGB LED Strip -Corsair Lighting Node PRO RGB -4.8k
Case Fan -Cooler Master Masterfan MF120L RGB -1k
Total -130.5K

Thanks & Regards,
BSSR

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
MiniITX is not suitable for a serious gaming rig with a gfx card like 1070 because of poor heat dissipation in a cramped cabinet that too in a city like Secundarabad in summer.At least get micro-ATX.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
MiniITX is not suitable for a serious gaming rig with a gfx card like 1070 because of poor heat dissipation in a cramped cabinet that too in a city like Secundarabad in summer.At least get micro-ATX.
Then what is the best micro atx cabinet.
But I was searching for built in wifi connectors and could not find in any of the micro atx motherboards.
Please suggest about these two.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
going with this config instead of the previous...
Though this has a full size atx mobo, cabinet etc...

AMD Gaming RIG

Budget -137K

Processor -AMD Ryzen 5 2600x -20k

Motherboard -MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC -13k

Graphics Card -Zotac GTX 1070 8GB Mini -38k

RAM -Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz 16GB (8GBx2) -11k

SSD -Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2 SATA SSD -18k

Power Supply -Antec EarthWatts Gold Pro-550w -6k

Cabinet -NZXT Source 340 -6k

Monitor -Acer KG271 27 inch LED -15k

KB & Mouse -Cooler Master Masterkeys Lite L Combo -4k

UPS -APC 1.1 KVA -6k

Total -137k

Last edited:

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
I would say instead of 2600X get the 1700 as more cores will benefit in future.
Also try to get 1070Ti atleast.
Also i don't think you can overclock a 1080p monitor to 1440p or atleast this is the first time I'm hearing about it. Get a native 1440p monitor if possible or a 1080p 144hz.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I would say instead of 2600X get the 1700 as more cores will benefit in future.
Also try to get 1070Ti atleast.
Also i don't think you can overclock a 1080p monitor to 1440p or atleast this is the first time I'm hearing about it. Get a native 1440p monitor if possible or a 1080p 144hz.
How to OVERCLOCK Acer Kg 271 MONITOR 60Hz/75Hz/120Hz/144Hz (Get Higher Refresh Rates) Acer KG 271

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't buy gigabyte,get MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Motherboard (AMD Socket AM4/Ryzen 2nd Gen Series CPU/Max 64GB DDR4-3466MHz Memory) .
Yes, its a must since I have a router and many devices are sharing it in the house. So cannot connect it via the ethernet port.
I didn't get you.I am suggesting to buy a usb wifi adapter that will then connect desktop to wifi router so where does lan port comes in this.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Don't buy gigabyte,get MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Motherboard (AMD Socket AM4/Ryzen 2nd Gen Series CPU/Max 64GB DDR4-3466MHz Memory) .

I didn't get you.I am suggesting to buy a usb wifi adapter that will then connect desktop to wifi router so where does lan port comes in this.
Okay thanks.

quicky008

Technomancer
@op:if i remember correctly,you had quite a powerful 6th gen intel based rig not too long ago-but it seems you are not using it anymore.What became of it?

I'm assuming your daughter is still quite young-i hope she doesn't develop an addiction to gaming and watching youtube/netflix all day long at an early age.

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
1. Monitor's resolution can't be changed. It remains same. Perhaps by overclocking, you meant the refresh rate?
2. Isn't 38k for a 1070 expensive? Here in Nehru Place (Delhi), you can get 1070 for INR 29990 + 18% GST = approx. INR 35k (this is without bargain)
3. For given requirements, 16GB system memory is overkill. 8GB memory will easily suffice the needs.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
@op:if i remember correctly,you had quite a powerful 6th gen intel based rig not too long ago-but it seems you are not using it anymore.What became of it?

I'm assuming your daughter is still quite young-i hope she doesn't develop an addiction to gaming and watching youtube/netflix all day long at an early age.
I sold it and bought a laptop which my daughter is presently using it for YouTube, prime and Netflix etc.
She is not into gaming but asks me how to play when I used to play witcher 3 all the time.

OP
bssunilreddy

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
1. Monitor's resolution can't be changed. It remains same. Perhaps by overclocking, you meant the refresh rate?
2. Isn't 38k for a 1070 expensive? Here in Nehru Place (Delhi), you can get 1070 for INR 29990 + 18% GST = approx. INR 35k (this is without bargain)
3. For given requirements, 16GB system memory is overkill. 8GB memory will easily suffice the needs.
I thought monitor resolution can be changed. Thanks for clarifying.

Is it okay to buy GPUs used for mining because I am finding 1070s for as low as 30k & 1080s for as low as 40k and have 2 years of warranty left on them.

Please anybody clarify on this.
Thanks.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
If you want to save some money, you can easily build for well under 1 lac. I can see some very good deals on used cards in forums like Erodov. RX480, 570 and 580 for good prices. Even new RX580 is going for 21k with 3 free games. RX580 is plenty for 1080p gaming. Also for CPU you could go for Ryzen 2600 rather than 2600X and cheaper B450 Motherboard and you can have a great performing PC for around 80 to 90k

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
I thought monitor resolution can be changed. Thanks for clarifying.

Is it okay to buy GPUs used for mining because I am finding 1070s for as low as 30k & 1080s for as low as 40k and have 2 years of warranty left on them.

Please anybody clarify on this.
Thanks.

Only if the source who is selling is reliable. I don't think mining affects life of GPU as long as it wasn't overclocked and used in ideal conditions. As there are no moving parts in a GPU like a car, it should be good.
But looking at the price difference between new and used, I would anyday go for a new one if I were you.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Wait for 590 if you are aiming for 1080p.
Did you mean you want to overclock your GPU to play at 1440p ? or overclock the monitor for 144 hz ?

Because direct scaling to 1440p from a 1080p panel is not possible, you can change scaling but you cannot change res from what it's built for. (AFAIK)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
and cheaper B450 Motherboard
I would not recommend skimping on mobo especially for ryzen 6/8 cores processors.MSI B450 gaming AC has one of the best VRMs in its category plus it also has inbuilt AC wifi which itself costs ~1-1.5k if bought separately.Cheapest acceptable mobo for 2600 with decent OC will still costs ~8-9k so not much point anyway in this budget.

For given requirements, 16GB system memory is overkill. 8GB memory will easily suffice the needs.
I am not a gamer but I have read enough online comments about some games easily crossing this "8GB system ram" limit quite easily.

Top Bottom