• Sony Vaio E Series - VPCEB16FG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HP Pavilion dv6-3057tx

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

professorsingh

Right off the assembly line
Hi All,
I have shortlisted below 3 models for my requirement.

All of them have 1 GB HD 5650 graphics card and Core i3 processor. Other things don't matter much to me.

1. ACER 5740 G
2. Sony Vaio E Series - VPCEB16FG
3. HP Pavilion dv6-3057tx

I need to decide upon:
1. Build Quality - I need to keep the laptop in good working condition for at least 3 years.
2. After sales service

I have added a poll for the same as well.

Please help me in making a good decision :)

Thanks,
Rohit

Last edited:

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Acer generally has build quality issues, so avoid it.

Get anyone of the other two depending on your preference. :)

Cilus

laborare est orare

My choice is Acer 5740G as I have the opportunity to get a hands-on on this Laptop. After my suggestion, two of my friends have bought this laptop.

It has a good build quality and very good battery life. For normal work, it provides over 3 Hrs, and even when watching 720P HD contents, it gives more than 2 Hrs backup. In games, it is better than the all the above mentioned counter parts because of the Core i5 processor. I personally tested it with Crysis, Dragon Age Origin, COD6, Mafia 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2 and all the games are playable (>= 30fps) with everything set to highest. Even Crysis gives average 30-32 fps with 4X antialising and everything set to highest.
If you want external review, go to AnandTech or NotebookCheck. They has chosen it as the best budget gaming laptop.

The downside is the display. It is not as good as Dell. But by adjusting setting from Catalyst Control Center, you can get a better looking display.
Other thing is the on board Sound box. It is in little lower side. But plug a good headphone, you will be pleased to hear the sound.

OP
P

professorsingh

Right off the assembly line

Thanks ico for your opinion. Do you have some personal experience with ACER?
Actually, I had acer around 2 years back and it didn't perform well, but my friend's ACER worked really well for 3 years at least. So, I am not sure if it is all luck :)

Also, general reviews about this ACER model are very good, but since it is only a few months of its launch we can't comment about its quality.

I am looking for generic quality, build of ACER, HP, Sony laptops - and customer support - as all have almost same config - and within range of 3-4k give or take (that I can afford) - but I need a piece which will last long, and if in case of problems I will get good customer service.

Please suggest.

Thanks,
Rohit

My choice is Acer 5740G as I have the opportunity to get a hands-on on this Laptop. After my suggestion, two of my friends have bought this laptop.

It has a good build quality and very good battery life. For normal work, it provides over 3 Hrs, and even when watching 720P HD contents, it gives more than 2 Hrs backup. In games, it is better than the all the above mentioned counter parts because of the Core i5 processor. I personally tested it with Crysis, Dragon Age Origin, COD6, Mafia 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2 and all the games are playable (>= 30fps) with everything set to highest. Even Crysis gives average 30-32 fps with 4X antialising and everything set to highest.
If you want external review, go to AnandTech or NotebookCheck. They has chosen it as the best budget gaming laptop.

The downside is the display. It is not as good as Dell. But by adjusting setting from Catalyst Control Center, you can get a better looking display.
Other thing is the on board Sound box. It is in little lower side. But plug a good headphone, you will be pleased to hear the sound.

Thanks Cilus for detailed info. I read Anandtech and couple of other reviews, everyone is very pleased with the performance.

Problem with HP and Sony reviews is that they don't have same model (both number and config) built for India and outside - so we don't generally get exact review of the model that we are looking for :(

General reviews about Sony Vaio are good as well including the looks, full HD and built - but I heard its battery performance is bad and also it heats a bit more.

HP is overall good - one good thing is it is offering 7200RPM HDD and others 5400, I like the design and keyboard of HP machines.

But then again, keeping price on side for moment - which one out of these three would you suggest - considering one can buy any of them?

Thanks,
Rohit

Last edited:
Top Bottom