Games with a storyline.

amitava82

MMO Addict
Long time.
Not in order:
Bioshock, Braid, Dark Messiah Might and Magic, Fallout 3, Half Life series, Mass Effect Series (Start ASAP), DA:O & Expansion, Longest Journey series, Torchlight (while you wait for Diablo 3)

I'll never buy Ubi games until they remove their stupid online activation crap.

And GW is not bad once in a while ;)

mac555

Broken In
Metro 2033....nice story game based on book....but not very optimized but has a very nice storyline....

OP
F

FilledVoid

Long time.
Not in order:
Bioshock, Braid, Dark Messiah Might and Magic, Fallout 3, Half Life series, Mass Effect Series (Start ASAP), DA:O & Expansion, Longest Journey series, Torchlight (while you wait for Diablo 3)

I'll never buy Ubi games until they remove their stupid online activation crap.
OMG Where have you been :D . Check your PMs . Ive finished Dragon Age Origins the game is great if it wasnt that old Id do a in depth Hardcore RPG fan review but theres more than enough of that on the net. By the way meet up in the IRC channel #grind :) .

I'm currently playing Witcher, it takes time getting used to but once you have it down its a blast.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
I'm currently playing Witcher, it takes time getting used to but once you have it down its a blast.
Yeeeeeeeeee

He's playing Witcher. The best RPG ever made.

Plz, post ur comments as u progress in the game.
And, its combat system is different, so don't get frustrated.

Let me find a thread for you.... ;-)

OKz.................

Me playing Witcher for a long time.........(1week )

Initially I faced d same issues and thought of un-installing it but then gave it a 2nd try.......n i'm enjoyin it........

its combat system is a bit diff.......
something like AOE......(only 10% similarities).........like u've to click on the enemy who u want to attack.......even if u r not used to movement u'll b using mouse click for movements also( I guess so)............
TIPS:-

1.U'll get FPS view with F3.........use it with movement keys and u r free from mouse clicking movements.....
2. Use F2 view for combats.......
-----------for single enemy(strong) 'strong' style(z in kbrd)
-----------for single enemy not so strong and some weak monsters 'fast' style (x in kbrd)
-----------for group of enemies 'group' style(c in kbrd)
3. Left clicking once on one enemy will hit once/twice.......while comabat u don't need to keep the mouse button pressed.......just point and press once......witcher will do d rest
4. while combat wait till d cursor glows yellow..........click on d enemy again........witcher will attack with more fury........if its successfull(means u've ACTUALLY waited till d cursor turns yellow and then clicked...........rather n no. of consecutive clicks like we do in other sword action games)ur cursor will turn red.........click again on d enemy as soon as d cursor turns red...........witcher will hit with more fury..........this is called 'final blow'.........and ur job is done.......
5. Initially this is a bit hard/irritating but the game and storyline suppresses it all.....u'll get used to it.........
6. Theres no problem with ur mouse
7. Best of luck

Donno if it will help you....but it may :-D

Last edited:

amitava82

MMO Addict
I hate RPG with First person view. Tried Oblivion 4. damn boring. But yeah Mass Effect 1, 2 Must BUY. You know what I'll buy em for you if you don't lol

OP
F

FilledVoid

Yeeeeeeeeee

He's playing Witcher. The best RPG ever made.
Story is quite nice so far. As a matter fo fact Ive just entered Vizima and liek Dragon Age Im doing every single quest I can. FOr a game which came out quite a while ago the graphics are pretty good. If I turn up everythign my system does tend to lag a bit D: . Although I did notice an issue with 16:10 monitors which was easily fixed with the latest Catalyst Control Center and editing a few settings in it.
Plz, post ur comments as u progress in the game.
And, its combat system is different, so don't get frustrated.
Combat system was weird initially until I noticed the camera option keys :D . Should have checked that earlier on . Using OTS system ande I can play it great. Need to get some weapon upgrades though but I only have Red and Blue Meteorite . Hopefully Ill find something from somewhere. The Mini games in the game crack me up. Especially the Fist fight quest one. The Dice Poker game is nice as well.

What happened initially is I started on Hard and wouldnt get a pointer to chain combos hence I was in a fix and was like wth? Then I restarted in Medium and noticed the pointers . After that its been a breeze . If I can find fraps Ill post some of them in a video. Although I definitely loved the slow Killer Shot Animation for characters in Dragon Age but then again we really cant compare those both together :) .

Alchemy is a bit confusing still since I'm, not sure what all to make and what not to and I really don't want to look up Guides etc and spoil the story . I think the quest information should have been a bit more descriptive about the times I could find the characters involved.

By the way should I go on and make some bombs or just continue as it is? Those things are quite expensive I mean the ingredients are like 500 + oren a pop !!!
Let me find a thread for you....
Today 05:40 PM

Didnt notice any witcher threads on the board Ill take a look too !

I hate RPG with First person view. Tried Oblivion 4. damn boring. But yeah Mass Effect 1, 2 Must BUY. You know what I'll buy em for you if you don't lol
Point well taken. But after the way Bioware has been about its Dragon Age Origins Update I'm kind of hesitant to install either of them. I had a perfectly running DA: O but after installing 1.03 to play Awakening it was a disaster :| . Im also noticing some issues being found with certain DLCs and Ill ahve to check after uninstalling those if thats the problem but some of those DLCs have the best quests and content.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Oh till I search and post, u wrote...

Okz.

Use alchemy to make health potions, sword sharpeners, poisons. Then I would say collect anything and everything. U can trade them. Buy all books, you will get to know about herbs.
The thing is that, if in game u don't know about a herb, the game would not let u collect it for alchemy.

When upgrading powers and skills, upgrade multiple and single one much.
And play with "Magic" awareness. This way the screen would shake if you are nearing any magical places.

OP
F

FilledVoid

Okz.

Use alchemy to make health potions, sword sharpeners, poisons. Then I would say collect anything and everything. U can trade them. Buy all books, you will get to know about herbs.
The thing is that, if in game u don't know about a herb, the game would not let u collect it for alchemy.

When upgrading powers and skills, upgrade multiple and single one much.
And play with "Magic" awareness. This way the screen would shake if you are nearing any magical places.
ROFL You have no idea how much this information helps. I thought the first vendor who sold me a book ripped me off. So I haven't bought any yet :| . I guess Ive been clicking on bushes and trees for nothing lol. I thought it was something wrong with my install or some kind of weird small click area. Ill definitely pick up everything about it from the Antiquary in that case.

Out of curiosity do you get enough points to invest in everything? Cause Ive been very very stingy with my points so far and only investing in what I need so far. Been using the Ard sign when getting mobbed and then singling out others then dodge and recycle the above . I guess the main point to take care of is not getting encircled. Cause they seem to break your combo chains if you get hit.

Ill post occasional screenshots indicating where I am in the story. Please do share some occasional tips. :)

amitava82

MMO Addict
Did you buy DLCs off using Bioware points? way too expensive compared to content. I'm happy with main game and expansion. I did not face any issue with either of em.

OP
F

FilledVoid

Did you buy DLCs off using Bioware points? way too expensive compared to content. I'm happy with main game and expansion. I did not face any issue with either of em.
Hmmm this might be the problem then. There are rumors that Return to Ostagar is botched up pretty bad. I might install DA:O and then 1.02 - > 1.03 and then awakening and see if ti works :)

Heres where I am on Witcher at the moment

*img413.imageshack.us/img413/2219/witcherdike.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

amitava82

MMO Addict
Is it top down view game like DA:O or like Oblivion? I won't bother if it's like Oblivion 4. And did you buy it 'coz I could not find any online store selling The Witcher. Don't wanna get it on Steam. Too much download. Already have Sh!t load downloads pending on Steam.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
@Amitava, yes it has top-down view too, but you can get 3rd person and even first person view too.

For buying it try eBay.

OP
F

FilledVoid

If you are buying you can get the original Enhanced Edition on Ebay . But its quite costly D: .

AcceleratorX

Youngling
I'll chip in and talk about a few great games with good gameplay and storylines:

1) Neverwinter Nights/Neverwinter Nights 2: These are RPG classics. IMO, no RPG till date has come close to the storyline depth that NWN2 had. Not even the witcher......The gameplay is based on D&D style, so it may pose some problems....but you'll get through (combat has a steep learning curve).

2) Cryostasis: Sleep of Reason - *Very* well done storyline.....but it's more of an exploration and horror game than action. VERY SCARY!

3) Rainbow Six: Vegas and Vegas 2 - Good, modern, contemporary story and good team-based action. The graphics still look very good in some places for a game released in 2006 (Vegas 1). The artwork and colours are really something special, it's great to look at the environments in this game.

4) Splinter Cell series - Although it's a stealth series, the storylines in the series are usually VERY good.

5) Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - Let's just call it COD: MW set in the 1800s. Good old western FPS, very good story.

6) Titan Quest - Another good RPG.

7) Far Cry 2 - Frustrating as it may be at times, this game has a very interesting story that will keep you thinking for a while. The only problem is that the story only hits you after you finish the game :p

Off the top of my head, only these games come to mind apart from what's already mentioned as far as story-driven games go....but I guess this much is enough :D

OP
F

FilledVoid

Ive been wanting to try out NWN . Hopefully later on when Im done thoroughly with DA:O Ill try it out.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
^^
I'm into gaming these days, but still surprising that no one mentioned Devil May Cry series. Atleast 3 & 4 are available for PC.

It's worth playing atleast for the cutscenes and "DANTE" just for "DANTE" One of my most favorite gaming characters ever . Awesome, fantabulous blah blah blah :))

Battlefield Badcompany 2 is good as well.

If you are looking for a good story line, try Syberia 1 & 2. Its boring initially, but once you are at ease with that game then story line is addictive *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberia

Last edited:

amitava82

MMO Addict
Syberia is an Adventure game. Every adventure game has great story. Not many people get into adventure game since there ain't much to do except solving puzzle and experience the story. That being said, Syberia series is one of the best adventure games.

sriharsha_madineni

Cyborg Agent
Syberia is an Adventure game. Every adventure game has great story. Not many people get into adventure game since there ain't much to do except solving puzzle and experience the story. That being said, Syberia series is one of the best adventure games.
I love syberia, suggest some similar games :)

Top Bottom