Galaxy s4 horribly lagging

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
there are usually different types of releases for how stable you want it. There are monthly releases (Snapshots) the latest being the CM11 M8 these are pretty stable. The nightly releases are the buggy ones.

You can get some good feedback on how the latest M8 release is working on your phone over at the XDA developers forum.

kalam_gohab

Ambassador of Buzz
Don't download the nightly versions as they are unstable. Just do a normal stable version and wait for new update

OP
D

Deadman

Journeyman
there are usually different types of releases for how stable you want it. There are monthly releases (Snapshots) the latest being the CM11 M8 these are pretty stable. The nightly releases are the buggy ones.

You can get some good feedback on how the latest M8 release is working on your phone over at the XDA developers forum.

Seems my phone is working fine may be because of the greenify app. Still can you post me the link of the most stable rom so i can install it later.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
The process for installing cyanogenmod is a little complicated so read well before you plan to attempt it. However you should find most of the information here How to Install CyanogenMod on the Samsung Galaxy S4 ("jflte") - CyanogenMod . There are also a couple of youtube videos that will take you through the entire process. *www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpHZ2n9lTcs this is the guy who's steps I followed to install my cyanogenmod ROM, it's much easier than all the command prompt and terminal methods that other sites seem to give

CyanogenMod Downloads are the relatively stable builds with M8 being the latest

Again, do spend some time reading all about the process, it's pretty safe from what I understand but it always makes sense to have all the information.

You can switch back to stock rom if needed. Infact recoveries (the starting area that allows you to install ROMS) can take a backup of your phone and restore that whenever needed. I've done this a couple of times so I know it works.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
So there are no bugs on Cyanogen for S4? Asking this seriously.

there are a few according to my friend but its mostly stable,only a few samsung specific things like air gesture are missing

- - - Updated - - -

Exynos. And can i switch back to stock rom after installing custom rom

yep just remember to take a nandroid backup before you begin anything

ankush28

Bazinga
I had my battery replaced under rooted phone so i dont think they check for root unless it is in cyanogenmod.

Warranty has nothing to do with CyanogenMod! You were lucky because service centre peoples don't really bother much about checking this stuffs.

Infact this is the code of conduct for them!

SOFTWARE ISSUES -> FACTORY RESET
HARDWARE ISSUES -> REPLACE PARTS+FACTORY RESET.

If they really want to check they have many methods to find traces of rooting... Even after you flash stock firmwares ;)

promo87

Broken In
Its almost a year and i have never dropped the phone but for the past 2-3 months its lag is increasing especially using Chrome, Facebook.
My phone is rooted with kitkat and the usual junk is been cleared using clean master. Free space is 1gb. The game and all runs fine.
I think this the case with most Android phones.

Well, I would say you have a rooted device which could also be the reason behind lag why don't you try unrooting your device by flashing the Stock ROM to see if that helps you out or not ! I have been hearing that this lagging may be because of KitKat as it still has some bugs which requires fixing.

ankush28

Bazinga
Root has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with LAG!

• Rooting is not bad but installing stupid apps from various non-market sources is harmful! (Game crackers...cough cough)
  • Its possible that some app is mining bitcoin underneath...
  • Malwares, Spywares can get master access to rooted android!!! Isn't this enough for doing almost ANYTHING? You can also convert your phone into BRICK. :p
  • Flashing nightlies and developer versions with lots of bugs can also cause lagging.

Last edited:

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Rooting simply means that you are allowed to access the base directory where android is installed, sort of like getting access to the windows or program files folder on your computer.

Lagging, as you call it, is simply when the tasks that you are using are not getting enough resources (processor time/ram etc). This is mostly a software issue. The Samsung touchwiz interface is a huge memory hog and Samsung keeps adding more and more bloatware to it. this is pretty evident from the fact that the install size of the stock android + touchwiz of the galaxy S3 is around 1.1 GB whereas cyanogenmod 11 is around 190 MB. Most of these bloatware services will run in the background and eat up memory/processor which will cause the phone to slow down. Also some apps like the samsung dialer, samsung SMS app are horribly made, it used to take me upto 10 sec to open the dialer and actually dial a number. Most of this will be solved if you move to a custom ROM

Viruses and malware is an entirely different problem and a simple factory reset should fix this if this is the only issue you want to solve.

Top Bottom