Front Panel Connection Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniobc

Broken In
Hey, I had bought a GA-6IWFE motherboard. I lately noticed that this old 810E chipset mbd had a front panel usb and audio connection provision. When I attempted to make the appropriate connections to my cabinet's Front Panel connectors, I noticed that the pin layout of the mbd and that of the female sockets of the cabinet were different.

Can anyone tell me how to connect them?

It seems like the audio connector of the motherboard has 2 pins less than the cabinet connector and the USB motherboard connector has a different pin configuration all together.

Please Help...

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
The pin allocations for the USB header on your motherboard is different from those on the standard used by most mobos these days. I've drawn a side-by-side comparison diagram here.
*s3.supload.com/files/default/ga-6iwfe_usb.gif
If the USB header plug that comes with your cabinet is the single block type, then you're out of luck. If it comes with a small separate female plug for each wire, then look at the diagram, match the function of each line carefully with the marking on each plug, and connect each wire accordingly.

AFAIK, audio headers do not have such standards. If they are marked on the mobo itself, you'll have to match each pin with the label on each wire. If you need further help with that, just ask.

Added later: Damn. The image was OK when I posted it. Here's the link
*s3.supload.com/free/ga-6iwfe_usb.gif/view/

Last edited:
OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
Na. The cabinet has a single piece with female connectors. It doesnt have individual connectors for each wire. Wish it was so simple ... :-(

The thing is I've done a complete side panel mod for my case and for my system to be complete, just this is left....

Audio isn't standard either. It has two extra female connectors.

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
Why don't you buy a separate front USB connector set, one with separate female connectors? Should be available at any good computer shop for less than 100/-. If the bracket or PCB holding the USB ports don't match the mounting arrangement on your cabinet, you could remove the wires with the connectors and solder them to the USB ports on the cabinet.

I can't help wondering why you're bothering with this old mobo. Personally, I like tinkering with such things, but most people don't bother.

Is each line of the front audio connector marked on the female connectors? If so, what are the markings?

OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
I like the tinkerin stuff. Doing my computer Engineering. I live to fiddle and play around. . . :)

I even have a Pentium 1 gateway server system with a case as tall as / taller than the chair on which im sitting now. :) Just need to buy a PCI VGA card for it and will get it up and running.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
off topic
on my Zebronics csabinet, i connected the front USB + AUdio to m/b.

but wheb=nevr i connect my headphone(h/p), the audio is routed to both the speakers as well as h/p.
the audio port on cabby is labled as "aux".

pimpom

Cyborg Agent
antoniobc: Glad to know you like tinkering. It just so happens that, a few days ago, I dug up an old thread in which I described (in a thread started by someone else) how I assembled my first PC from old parts. Here's the thread -
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3930
You may find it amusing.

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
off topic
on my Zebronics csabinet, i connected the front USB + AUdio to m/b.

but wheb=nevr i connect my headphone(h/p), the audio is routed to both the speakers as well as h/p.
the audio port on cabby is labled as "aux".

you need to enable multistreaming !
I am assuming that you are using realtek onboard audio. Just open the HD control panel , look at the top right corner,click on the advance device settings and then enable the separate streaming in 2nd audio channel aka front panel

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
i have "sigmatel" onboard audio.
it shows "audio 1" & "audio 2" in "audio properties"

using Intel Audio Studio, didnt find any option.

OP
antoniobc

antoniobc

Broken In
He he..... I liked that thread. Is there a thread for such things as assembling old comps? Or repairin-troubleshooting em?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom