French police ditched Microsoft for GNU/Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

praka123

left this forum longback
The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest administrations in the world to make the break.

The move completes the gendarmerie's severance from Microsoft which began in 2005 when it moved to open sourcing for office applications such as word processing. It switched to open source Internet browsers in 2006.

*adms.physorg.com/openads/www/delivery/avw.php?zoneid=8&n=a649a0c4&ct0=%c
Linux is an open-source operating system, which used to be the reserve of computer geeks but is now an easy-to-use system aimed at average users.

The gendarmerie's 70,000 desktops currently use Microsoft's Windows XP operating system. But these will progressively change over to the Linux system distributed by Ubuntu, explained Colonel Nicolas Geraud, deputy director of the gendarmerie's IT department.

"We will introduce Linux every time we have to replace a desktop computer," he said, "so this year we expect to change 5,000-8,000 to Ubuntu and then 12,000-15,000 over the next four years so that every desktop uses the Linux operating system by 2013-2014."

There are three reasons behind the move, Geraud said at the Solution Linux 2008 conference here. The first is to diversify suppliers and reduce the force's reliance on one company, the second is to give the gendarmerie mastery of the operating system and the third is cost, he said.

He also added that "the Linux interface is ahead of other operating systems currently on the market for professional use."

Vista, for example, Microsoft's latest operating system, is being spurned by consumers who cite "concerns about its cost, resource requirements, and incompatibility with their existing applications," according to InformationWeek.com.

Geraud explained that the move to an open source operating system was logical after the police switched in 2005 to open sourcing for its office applications and in 2006 for its Internet browsers and its email.

The move away from licenced products is saving the gendarmerie about seven million euros (10.3 million dollars) a year for all its PCs.

"In 2004 we had to buy 13,000 licences for office suites for our PCs," he said, "but in the three years since then we've only had to buy a total of 27 licences."

In 2005 the gendarmerie switched from Microsoft Office to OpenOffice -- a collection of applications such as a word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation programme similar to Microsoft Powerpoint, all of which can be downloaded free.

A year later it abandoned Mircosoft's Internet Explorer for the Mozilla Foundation's browser Firefox and its email client Thunderbird.

"When we made that choice Firefox represented about 3.0 percent of Internet browsers and it's about 20 to 25 percent now which confirms our choice," Geraud said.

The gendarmerie with its 100,000 employees is the biggest administration to shift to open sourcing for its operating system, but it is not the first in France. That honour belongs to the National Assembly which adopted Ubuntu for its 1,200 PCs in 2007.

Although the gendarmerie is ahead of the market the market is catching up.

Dell, for example, this week started offering Ubuntu Linux 7.10 on its XPS 1330 laptops in France, Germany, Spain and Britain, while US customers will be able to order the machines within the next week or so, according to the company's website.

*www.physorg.com/news120930030.html

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Its a great news but when do we expect Indian Police and other Government Services to switch over Linux??? :D

simple reason for this switch: M$ is not secure enough, and the last thing the police wants is to have a hacker employed by the person they are investigating to hinder their work and cause commotion.

Linux, as always, is one of the best OSes for Mission Critical Applications due to its extreme stability, robustness and security.

Rahim

Married!
when do we expect Indian Police and other Government Services to switch over Linux??? :D
First our policewaallahs have to learn ABC of computers :D:D Just imagine our hawaldaars learning computers!!! It will be a great sight!!!
On topic: Good news that more and more authorities are embracing GNU/Linux. A step in the right direction.:cool:

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
Not boasting, but in our state (Kerala), the Police has changed a lot. They have a cyber crime cell. They tracked and found the guy who sent threatening emails to President etc within 24 hrs. They tracked and arrested the guys who posted morphed pics of a lady within days. They arrested guys who created hatread communities in Orkut which used to spread only hatred.

This is not the same for every single police station, but things are changing a lot in India too. I meant to say Indian Police are not that bad these days.

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^that Abdul from chertala(rashtrapathi fame:p) is arrested again for someother thing :?

skeletor

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Are you sure if they use original or pirated Windows?
I am damn sure that they use pirated. My friend's father is in government service and he had seen the people around there installing Office and Windows from pirated CDs.......:D

din

Tribal Boy
Basically the Govt offices ask for quotations form PC dealers / Assemblers. Mostly they chose the lowest quote and of course , all softwares including OS comes "free" with it !! lol

But I saw in many banks they use genuine OS. In one bank I saw the genuine sticker with the license key in every single machine. I think it was Canara Bank ?

OP
praka123

praka123

left this forum longback
^in all state banks they have genuine xp!.also most banks have genuine xp else Linux.

Rahim

Married!
Not boasting, but in our state (Kerala), the Police has changed a lot. They have a cyber crime cell. They tracked and found the guy who sent threatening emails to President etc within 24 hrs. They tracked and arrested the guys who posted morphed pics of a lady within days. They arrested guys who created hatread communities in Orkut which used to spread only hatred.

This is not the same for every single police station, but things are changing a lot in India too. I meant to say Indian Police are not that bad these days.

This is bcoz Kerala is most literate if i am not mistaken.
Just imagine officers from UP/Bihar Daarogaa babu using this Dabba to catch goons!!!!
and not to forget about entertaining themselves with Bhojpuri stuff!!!

Basically the Govt offices ask for quotations form PC dealers / Assemblers. Mostly they chose the lowest quote and of course , all softwares including OS comes "free" with it !! lol

But I saw in many banks they use genuine OS. In one bank I saw the genuine sticker with the license key in every single machine. I think it was Canara Bank ?
Canara Bank is good but last Tuesday i went to Allahabad Bank and what i saw was hilarious. The Deputy Manager was running helter-skelter after seeing BSOD. I wonder was that Genuine XP or el'cheapo.:D and not to forget all the bank employees were consulting one young man there. Arent they trained properly with this COre Banking stuff?
Haha..and can we imagine our pandus using "apt-get" and the likes :D
Forget about apt-get, what will they say when prompted to WGA in Windows Update site?
"Paisa toh de diya , Ab kaiko check kartaa hai"- Pandooo:D

Last edited:

din

Tribal Boy
Arent they trained properly with this COre Banking stuff?

They may be expert in core banking but I think they are not given proper training in maintaining PC or software.

Another - from my experience.

I was waiting to meet the manager in a bank here in Cochin. He was busy over phone and he was really angry at someone. I heard him telling - See the mouse is not working, you are doing the AMC. You are supposed to come and fix it.

Listening to this, a young lady whos working under him, told him it is very easy to clean the mouse and she went to his cabin and cleaned it and wow :D the great mouse started working again ...

I think even in training they are given importance only to their section (accounting, core banking etc).

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Chalo, now atleast people would know there are other OS apart from Mighty windows. Ms still dominates but there no longer a monopoly so its good for the industry,consumers & everyone concerned.

I know a simple thing that Monopolies are always bad, and are not in the interest of consumers.

now i am waiting to see when this slogans comes to india:rolleyes:
Linux - We have a Choice

@Din
All state banks from now on, have original windows OEM, which is Good;)
i talked to My Granpa who is Gm in SBI, he said they can't shift to linux as there CBS application runs on Internet Explorer.
and they cost of making one app is huge, so they are stuck:|

so officially they are vendor locked

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom