My PC configuration is as follows-

Intel i5-3570K with Cooler Master 212 Evo heatsink
Asus Maximus V Gene Motherboard
Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC Edition Graphics Card
Corsair Vengeance 2X 4GB RAM
Corsair GS600 Power Supply
Seagate 1TB HDD
Windows 8.1 64Bit

My problem is that while playing certain games like NFS Rivals and Watch Dogs my pc freezes after few mins of gameplay(ranges from 15-40 minutes). The screen goes grey,sound is stuck on a kind of loop and the Microsoft XBOX Contoller keeps vibrating if it was just before the freeze.
Certain other games run fine. I've played Call of Duty:Ghosts, Castlevania Lord Of Shadows, Dark Souls 2 etc. without any problem.
I keep monitoring the temperature constantly using HWMonitor and pc is not overheating while gaming. CPU hovers about 65 degrees and The GPU around 72 Degree.
This problem has really started annoying me and I can't seem to find a solution for it. Can't even determine if it's a hardware or a software issue.
Any Help would be appreciated.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Re: Freeing while playing certain games

try updating the game. post a screenshot of crystaldisk info.

Flash

Lost in speed

Update your AMD Catalyst. What version you're on?

OP
lovedonator

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz

try updating the game. post a screenshot of crystaldisk info.

Both of the games are running on latest version. Have never used crystaldiskinfo. Will give it a go tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

Update your AMD Catalyst. What version you're on?

Running on latest 14.6 Beta. Have tried other older Driver versions too, both beta and stable, the problem occurs nonetheless. Have performed a clean install of Drivers every time.

- - - Updated - - -

P.S. How do I edit the thread title? Spelling mistake, it's supposed to be "Freezing", not "Freeing".

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

you can edit the thread title in the edit window of your first post.

Flash

Lost in speed

you can edit the thread title in the edit window of your first post.
Though we edit, it won't reflect as the thread title, let alone to the first post. Only mods can rename the thread, to be visible for all.

piyush2202

The Tech Enthusiast

Oh, I had this issue once with my previous rig. The problem turned out to be faulty RAM. It's pretty rare for that to happen, but it did happen!

I'd suggest you run MemTest86+:
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If you find errors, it's time to replace the stick. Run CrystalDisk too like rijinkpk1 mentioned. That would rule out a faulty HDD.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@OP - do as suggested above. Also when your pc freezes try pressing the caps lock / num lock keys several times to see whether the lights on the keyboard are turning on/off or not.

piyush2202

The Tech Enthusiast
@OP - do as suggested above. Also when your pc freezes try pressing the caps lock / num lock keys several times to see whether the lights on the keyboard are turning on/off or not.

+1

Just out of curiosity, which Anti-Virus are you using? Some of them are rather notorious for interfering with games.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
my old gpu could run source engine games no problem, at ultra full 60 fps..
But whenever i tried slightly demanding titles, i used to get the same problems as you (ringing noise, black screen, freeze)..
I found my GPU was going kaput and had to service it later on..

OP
lovedonator

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz

Oh, I had this issue once with my previous rig. The problem turned out to be faulty RAM. It's pretty rare for that to happen, but it did happen!

I'd suggest you run MemTest86+:
Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

If you find errors, it's time to replace the stick. Run CrystalDisk too like rijinkpk1 mentioned. That would rule out a faulty HDD.

Memtest and Crystaldisk came out clean.

- - - Updated - - -

OK, will do that.

- - - Updated - - -

+1

Just out of curiosity, which Anti-Virus are you using? Some of them are rather notorious for interfering with games.

avast Free version

- - - Updated - - -

my old gpu could run source engine games no problem, at ultra full 60 fps..
But whenever i tried slightly demanding titles, i used to get the same problems as you (ringing noise, black screen, freeze)..
I found my GPU was going kaput and had to service it later on..

I can play Call OF Duty:Ghosts, Max Payne 3 with no problem.

piyush2202

The Tech Enthusiast
COD: Ghosts and Max Payne 3 are fairly heavy games..... I'm personally using Avast myself. I used to have similar freezes in Watch_Dogs earlier, but then a graphics driver fixed it (I'm using Nvidia though). It was specific to Watch_Dogs though, I haven't tried Castlevania or Dark Souls 2.

Hmmmmm....... It could be some interfering hardware perhaps. The only difference I can find between COD/Max Payne and the other games you're playing is that you probably aren't using a controller to play COD and Max Payne. Maybe you could try playing the problematic games without a controller and see what happens.... This is just a long shot!

Try play Mario and Battlefield one by one and recognize what is causing the problems.
like it may be the fault of the crap-set CPU or GPU or may be bad setting of your CPU cooler.
Can also be controller problem.

- - - Updated - - -

As you said your GPU goes to about 72 Celsius, I think it may have a auto shut function of shutting down at that time so try and check that too.
Try emailing your GPU manufacture about the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Or it could somehow be your PSU. It may be dying try to get hands on some other PSU and try!

OP
lovedonator

lovedonator

Ambassador of Buzz
COD: Ghosts and Max Payne 3 are fairly heavy games..... I'm personally using Avast myself. I used to have similar freezes in Watch_Dogs earlier, but then a graphics driver fixed it (I'm using Nvidia though). It was specific to Watch_Dogs though, I haven't tried Castlevania or Dark Souls 2.

Hmmmmm....... It could be some interfering hardware perhaps. The only difference I can find between COD/Max Payne and the other games you're playing is that you probably aren't using a controller to play COD and Max Payne. Maybe you could try playing the problematic games without a controller and see what happens.... This is just a long shot!
Interesting suggestion.. Let me try it.

- - - Updated - - -

Try play Mario and Battlefield one by one and recognize what is causing the problems.
like it may be the fault of the crap-set CPU or GPU or may be bad setting of your CPU cooler.
Can also be controller problem.

- - - Updated - - -

As you said your GPU goes to about 72 Celsius, I think it may have a auto shut function of shutting down at that time so try and check that too.
Try emailing your GPU manufacture about the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Or it could somehow be your PSU. It may be dying try to get hands on some other PSU and try!

GPU temp goes to that mark during Battlefield and COD Ghosts too so that's not a problem. Besides I think that's normal temperature under load.
I will try to get hands on another PSU..

Just try to e-mail the Manufacturer about the problem and tell them that your temps reaches as high as 90 Celsius and try to get a refund ! always better ! haha
And now the problem could just be the PSU. try to get one from local computer shop for testing purposes.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've only faced such weird issue ie some games would just show corrupted graphics after 20 - 30 mins of gameplay mostly but sometime they did just play fine even for more than an hour or two while some other games had no such issues at all when the cpu itself was making such problems.

First I though it to be a gpu issue then eventually I discovered what the problematic part.

Top Bottom