.:: FQDN Queries ::.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tuXian

In the zone
With reference to FQDN or Fully Qualified domain names I have the following doubt. I know a fact that FQDN should end with a period.

Below are two entries can anyone tell me which one of this is valid/not valid/ or both are valid FQDN

1. abc.xyz.com.

2. xyz.com/abc.

Thanks

geekysage

Journeyman
Yeah, an FQDN should end with a period. But if you have intentionally put the dots (.) after the URIs then you have misinterpreted this general rule. See, what they mean by "an FQDN should end with a period" is sorta like this: subdomain.primarydomain.com - notice the dot after subdomain, that's the dot they are talking about.

You don't have to put the dot after the .com. Again, just ignore these comments if the dots were not intentional.

Now, to asnwer your question, the first link i.e. abc.xyz.com is a valid FQDN while the second ain't.

Peace.

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
geekysage said:
Now, to asnwer your question, the first link i.e. abc.xyz.com is a valid FQDN while the second ain't.

Peace.

Thanks for replying but I want a confirmation that xyz.com/abc is a valid FQDN or not. Can anybody confirm.

EDIT : I read the above post wrongly so no question arises of confirming.

OP
tuXian

tuXian

In the zone
sorry @geekysage I read 'the first link' as 'I think' so wrote this reply. Now I read it properly I take back my last post.

Sorry if I have hurted you!

KnightRider

Broken In
FQDN IS THE NAME GIVEN TO ANY DOMAIN(IPADDRESS) IN WHICH A MACHINE IS CONNECTED REMOTELY.. SINCE IP ADDRESSES ARE DIFFICULT TO REMEMBER.. THE FQDN NAME IS GIVEN.. HENCE FOR EXAMPLE YAHOO.COM IS A FQDN NAME. AND YAHOO.COM/PHOTOS IS A BASICAALY A FOLDER NAMED AS PHOTO STORED IN YAHOO. THEREFORE THAT IS NOT A FQDN NAME.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom