Formatting HDD+uninst. Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Hey guys,

1.) I want to format my Seagate Barracuda 160 GB SATA HDD Having 2 OS --> Win XP Pro and Linux (Fedora Core 4) So that i can make partitions according to the following criteria in Win XP:

C: containing Program Files (Win XP)-----------------> 10 GB
D: containing My Documents (only MS office files) ----> 5 GB
E: containing My Music------------------------------> 25 GB
F: containing System Cache files (used by XP)--------> 2 GB
G: containing Games--------------------------------> 50 GB
H: containing Backup--------------------------------> 5 GB
I: containing Softwares (installed on the PC)---------> 20 GB
J: containing Linux----------------------------------> 20 GB

2.) Please tell me if I hv made efficient use of the 160 GB HDD Space provided to me. Any alterations are welcomed as it will guide me as well.

3.) Also, there is sumthing known as MBR wich has to be taken care of during formatting of the HDD. Since i hv Dual boot OS (XP and Linux) so i cant straight away Format the Entire HDD as it will create problems AFAIK (by reading sum threads related to MBR=Master Boot Record). So help me on this too.

4.) What shud i do abt the remaining space on my HDD?? Shud i be keeping Empty Unformatted partitions or Empty formatted (FAT32) partitions?

5.) I will be using the FAT32 type of file system to Format my HDD. My PC config is: pentium-4, 2.0 Ghz, 256 MB DDR266 (Hynix) RAM, nVidia GE force FX 5200 256 MB AGP card and a Seagate Barracuda 160 GB SATA HDD.

Awating replies.....

Cheers n e-peace.....

Huzefa

Journeyman
generally this seems to be a superb method of sorting data into partions as u mentioned. I have done the same and was totally disappointed with the results. Now my 120 GB and 80 GB HDD's contain 3 and 2 partitions resptively. but its a waste of space and I can never keep the data intended for one partition to go into another. all u require to do is to keep a 40 GB partiton for linux and the first partition of 20 GB for win os , the remaining for data. theoretically this seems an excellent way to oragnize and segregate data and the os . practically its a nighmare, ask yourself this b4 doing this,

1) Will I be able to stick to this system of organizing data ?

2) Out of the many programs I will install , what will I do when space runs out in say the software partition, I do not want to delete anything from this partition, wil I use the games one ?

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
^yes my experience says same.

it is a pain in the ass to keep data organised when u have lots of space.
keep it simple.

I have a 300GB RAID-0 out of 2xseagate 160GB + one seagate 80GB
and the parts are
300GB> 30GB WINXP + 60GB SOftware + 120GB Movies + 30GB Music + 60GB Games
80GB> 20GB Win Vista + 10GB Linux + 45GB Backup+cd/dvd images

this works smooth. besides u can classify ur data more by makeing folders.

also i would advise u to use NTFS, it is better is every way and u r not using win98 so why fat32. linux has no trouble accessing NTFS.
if is is required them make ur BACKUP partition to FAT32 so it is accessable from dos/win98 bootable disks.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
Thanx for ur replies guys,

But i havent got any reply as to how to Uninstall Linux OS so that there is no problem of that "mbr" ??? Wat shud i do ?? how shud i proceed? Please reply and guide me.

CHeers n e-peace....

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Even i keep minimum partitions.. I have just 2 windows partitions.. One for windows and the rest for my data.. Then i have 2 partitions on linux.. / and swap. I have a 120 GB hard disk.

OP
ashu888ashu888

ashu888ashu888

Core i7 (nehalem) Owner
@ Everyone,

Well but please tell me how sud i proceed with the Uninstalling of LINUX, taking care of MBR and creating a fresh install of XP.

Cheers n e-peace....

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Just delete the linux partitions from windows disk management, then boot from windows XP bootable CD, go into recovery console and type fixmbr. That should do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom