Formatting HD problem with SP2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Des Lawton

Right off the assembly line
Every time I load SP2 my second hard drive becomes inaccessible and refuses to format (it is RAW). I found advice on this forum that led me to format (to NTFS) while Windows was in Safe Mode. I thought that I had cracked it when the format completed successfully, but when I booted up again the HD was RAW again. I went back to Safe Mode and the Windows sees that the HD is formatted NTFS. This is driving me nuts!
Has anyone come across this problem?

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Des Lawton said:
Every time I load SP2 my second hard drive becomes inaccessible and refuses to format (it is RAW). I found advice on this forum that led me to format (to NTFS) while Windows was in Safe Mode. I thought that I had cracked it when the format completed successfully, but when I booted up again the HD was RAW again. I went back to Safe Mode and the Windows sees that the HD is formatted NTFS. This is driving me nuts!
Has anyone come across this problem?

Did u try formatting with some third party s/w like norton partition magic,magic partition 8,partition manager,F disk. etc.....

Also try via disk management tool and also try via booting from the cd...

OP
D

Des Lawton

Right off the assembly line
I have tried with Norton Partition Magic and also with the XP setup disks and have managed to format each time. I have also run Chkdsk /f /r g: and the disk seems to be OK.
The problem is that if I open Windows XP (SP2) in Normal Mode the G: drive is shown as RAW in its Properties and I cannot access it or reformat it (in Normal Mode). It does format to NTFS in Safe Mode!
If I format in Safe Mode and reboot in Normal Mode - back to RAW. I reboot in Safe Mode and it shows up as NTFS.
I don't want to buy another hard-drive as I am sure that the problem is with the Windows XP (SP2) as the problem goes away if I uninstal SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom