Format Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpotter606

Journeyman
iwould never post such a long post. tech&ne posted the long one . (i dont have good typing speed)

my friend dont have internet connection and right now he is in his bed as he has his two legs fractured.

i dont think IBM can con as they have to protect their reputation(i really cant say)

i do formatting if there is virus which is giving much problem and if my machine is getting very slow
i know about the utilities and i use them frequently. i sometimes install system mechanic

i only know that it has 3 year warrany . cant tell about os and av

i didnt understand . what do you mean by additional?
i mean if i want RAM i can bye it from market

HP and IBM are the best branded. idont think other can be that mch trusted(i dont know but i have heard)

i think we should either move this topic or close it as this is not the right place for it

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
fair enuf :) . if it should be continued i suggest the previous thread i had given u . actually , some companies have a policy of not allowing the user to open the pc , let alone , adding h/w bought in the market as that would void most of the PCs warranty null , and they wouldnt support ur PC unless u bought parts from them , or remove the part u bought from the outside . not sure how policy works in india though . sorry to hear abt ur friend . if u have access to his pc try to find out what the prob is and we'll try to fix it . his config details would be needed too . We had a similar discussion regarding a compaq system a while back , not sure where the thread is , but since HP bought compaq , all of compaqs probs now fall under HP too .

G

klinux said:
1.Branded PCs come pre-installed with original / geniune Microsoft Operating System.
- along with problems like activation and stuff

Over all when u get ur branded pc , no ones gonna take the time to teach u this is this and that is that . u got to pick up a phone to get ur queries answered , thats after waiting in queue for ages . Assembled u get a familiar face each time , if u have a problem and they run u through the problem and tell u exactly what they know and dont know and in the process u gain knowledge too , so next time it occurs u can even troubleshoot it ur self . Instead from branded guys , we have a new tech face each time and each one troubleshoots different parts of the computer and leave the pc unfuntionable (if its not a word , i made it up ;) ) .

Good Klinux, where did u heard that Pre-installed Microsoft OS requires Activation ??

1.In fact, they don't install the OS as u normally would. Pre -installtions are doen differently. They use a POK tool from Microsoft to install the OS, besides installing the also add more features and customize the OS, for example they can put an extra line in the HELP & SUPPORT CENTER (WinXP) to help u with relevant help. For Example : They can include a line say -- "About your new branded PC". Now when u click on this text link in the opening screen of your Help & Support Centre, it will give u details about your branded company u got the PC from, etc.

2.You do not require to supply the Product Key everytime u re-install an OEM Microsoft Windows XP ( if u ever need to re-install that).

3. So u need to get TUTORIALS as well with your new PC. No company will do that --- does the company u work for teach u about how to trouble shoot the PC after u join there ???

4.About this is this and that is that u get the installation Guide with your Branded PC , which explain what will go where, i.e. where u are supposed to plug the Mouse cable, etc.

5.About WARRANTIES u don't need one with branded PCs, next they give 3 years warranties, why ? b'coz they know what they are giving. 3 years simply means the hardware they give is of the fine quality or else why they will give a 3 years hardware warranty. U don't go and give warranties for things u know will never run for that much time. If u sell out your watch to a friend with 3 years warranties, that means u know the watch will work for atleast 3 years with out fail... does that makes sense to u know!!!

6.u get free Antivirus (OEM- legal version) / Encarta (OEM legal version)/ software / games (legal version)as special promo with branded PCs, and u are not stick will Windows Games.

7. U get the Quick Start Guide as a TUTORIAL .

8. U can't expect them to give a hardware training free with the PC. Spend money and learn on your own.

9. A person with no idea about using the computer will never buy a PC, so don't expect too much....

10. You can upgrade your PC if you have a branded PC, only inform them of this in advance and let them install in for you, they will record the change and the day and time your PC was opened by the tech guy and they will also tag the new components. (Warranty void only if u open without informing them.)

G

klinux said:
1.Branded PCs come pre-installed with original / geniune Microsoft Operating System.
- along with problems like activation and stuff

Over all when u get ur branded pc , no ones gonna take the time to teach u this is this and that is that . u got to pick up a phone to get ur queries answered , thats after waiting in queue for ages . Assembled u get a familiar face each time , if u have a problem and they run u through the problem and tell u exactly what they know and dont know and in the process u gain knowledge too , so next time it occurs u can even troubleshoot it ur self . Instead from branded guys , we have a new tech face each time and each one troubleshoots different parts of the computer and leave the pc unfuntionable (if its not a word , i made it up ;) ) .

Good Klinux, where did u heard that Pre-installed Microsoft OS requires Activation ??

1.In fact, they don't install the OS as u normally would. Pre -installtions are doen differently. They use a POK tool from Microsoft to install the OS, besides installing the also add more features and customize the OS, for example they can put an extra line in the HELP & SUPPORT CENTER (WinXP) to help u with relevant help. For Example : They can include a line say -- "About your new branded PC". Now when u click on this text link in the opening screen of your Help & Support Centre, it will give u details about your branded company u got the PC from, etc.

2.You do not require to supply the Product Key everytime u re-install an OEM Microsoft Windows XP ( if u ever need to re-install that).

3. So u need to get TUTORIALS as well with your new PC. No company will do that --- does the company u work for teach u about how to trouble shoot the PC after u join there ???

4.About this is this and that is that u get the installation Guide with your Branded PC , which explain what will go where, i.e. where u are supposed to plug the Mouse cable, etc.

5.About WARRANTIES u don't need one with branded PCs, next they give 3 years warranties, why ? b'coz they know what they are giving. 3 years simply means the hardware they give is of the fine quality or else why they will give a 3 years hardware warranty. U don't go and give warranties for things u know will never run for that much time. If u sell out your watch to a friend with 3 years warranties, that means u know the watch will work for atleast 3 years with out fail... does that makes sense to u know!!!

6.u get free Antivirus (OEM- legal version) / Encarta (OEM legal version)/ software / games (legal version)as special promo with branded PCs, and u are not stick will Windows Games.

7. U get the Quick Start Guide as a TUTORIAL .

8. U can't expect them to give a hardware training free with the PC. Spend money and learn on your own.

9. A person with no idea about using the computer will never buy a PC, so don't expect too much....

10. You can upgrade your PC if you have a branded PC, only inform them of this in advance and let them install in for you, they will record the change and the day and time your PC was opened by the tech guy and they will also tag the new components. (Warranty void only if u open without informing them.)

Sorry , Klinux didn't intend to hurt you. But ..... Sorry again.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
lol , whats with the trying to hurt me thing ? wanna take it outside , any time , any place lol

some people sure have problems differentiating between an healthy discussion and a duel .

- if i aint mistaken , some PC manufacturers , give their PC without an OS and u got to Buy the OS , hence the dreaded activation . this case u need to supply CD Key for the OS and the other products u might have had .
- If tutorials was enuf , why is there such a huge business for Tech Support backing the PC industry . Why spend millions when u can just publish books ????? So fixing a mouse is all i need . hmmmm..
- i think they give 3 years warranty , koz they know they'll screw up a lot , and rather than give one year warranty and get sued by customers , just send them replacements parts as soon as one goes off .
- And quick start guide has how many chapters and how indepth ?
- thats where ur wrong , if i didnt know abt something i would be kurious and learn and buy it . we arent in the stone age u know . if man wasnt kurious abt fire , he would never have cooked his food . Why should the warranty be void if i checked under the hood of my computer . Do i lose my warranty on my car when i open the hood of my car ?????? Plus have u checked out the rates of RAM sticks as compared to those outside .

ALL in all its just the NAME that sells , people arent aware of half the things that go inside . If u say branded is so good and has everything a person needs , why do we have this huge industry of Tech Support ????????? we wouldnt need it right ? or as u put it , we would need it only to register upgraded parts . is that what happens in tech support ???????

do i have to post my post twice too to make it look BIG ;)

as 606 suggested , we could move this to the other section regarding branded vs assembled . u can copy paste ur post there and i can post mine following urs . Agreed ??? :)

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
must be forum doesnt accept branded PCs :) . anyway wanna switch to the other thread ???

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3186&start=0

u can ask mods to change the guest to ur name . or just post it in the other thread and lets leave this to the hdd

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
cheak this links....

*www.fdisk.com/fdisk/

*support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313348

*support.microsoft.com/kb/q255867/

hope this answars the q....

shaunak

Tux Fan
Tech&ME wrote:
aadipa wrote:
hpotter606 wrote:
shwetanshu wrote:
branded PCs almost cost a bomb

Really!! how much do you think the bomb costs
you know brandeds have many advantages if you want to discuss

ok so can u tell me any which will justify the cost diff ?

YES!!!
Pros

2. You get 90 days free support from Microsoft for your OS.

3. You get on-site warranty for 3 years (as of now) on hardware/ software.

4. You get all the utility CDs / Manuals / etc.

5. You get geniune OEM hardware parts.

6. You can install ALL the SERVICE PACKS

7. You get FREE dust covers

8. They install the your PC in a quality controled workshop ISO 9001, etc.

9. They run the benchmark tool and test the hardware / software levels before sending it to the distributors / Retailers.

10. You live in a Pirated FREE world with your PC.

Cons ( assembled PCs, ones that u purchase)

1. The assemblers are themselves fools, u ask them a out of way question and they don't even know what CAS latency means ??

2. Forget about the 3 years on-site warrenty.

3. Forget about the geniune hardware parts they source it from.......??

4. They create a mess of partitions or no partitions at all (only one) in which all messed up OS is installed. They put up too Windows folder on the same drive.... God know why?

5. They eat your money.... they promise a P4 2.0 ghz and give you something else.

6. No utilities CD/ Manuals /Mobo CD provided to u.

7. Every software they install is pirated. Welcome Viruses / Worms / Spywares.

8. They put us cheap CASE ( CABINET ) no proper air flow in there.

9. Monitor goes blank every now and then no proper drivers loaded.

10. You get the buttons going crazy !!!!

Sorry for posting it here, i know this entire topic belongs to Q&A sections.
_______________^^numerous quotes from post^^__________________

ok ill try to end this argument without being partial :

here goes:

##Best buy all parts ur self; to be sure u get the right parts and get the garuntee.

##Even better if u know the authorised retail outlet for your city. (locations of outlets are usualy mentioned on company sites or u can enquire over the phone).

##Then finally get a system engneer to do the assembling if u r not very confident.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting

2. You get 90 days free support from Microsoft for your OS.

so?... if one know about originality he/she will buy a OS separately...

4. You get all the utility CDs / Manuals / etc.

5. You get geniune OEM hardware parts.

so??... who said that assembled PC dont have this??..

8. They install the your PC in a quality controled workshop ISO 9001, etc.

in assembled PC u can do it by ur self..... anywhere u want.... make ur own config... this is what u cant do with branded ones...

1. The assemblers are themselves fools, u ask them a out of way question and they don't even know what CAS latency means ??

i assembeldmy own PC... most of us do this....

3. Forget about the geniune hardware parts they source it from.......??
who said this?? totaly false....

4. They create a mess of partitions or no partitions at all (only one) in which all messed up OS is installed. They put up too Windows folder on the same drive.... God know why?
any moron will do it.... even MS couldnt stop them to do it..... most of us know how to avoid it...

5. They eat your money.... they promise a P4 2.0 ghz and give you something else.
hanent u hard about CPUz??

6. No utilities CD/ Manuals /Mobo CD provided to u.
wrong wrong wrong......

7. Every software they install is pirated. Welcome Viruses / Worms / Spywares.
so?... if one know about originality he/she will buy them separately...

9. Monitor goes blank every now and then no proper drivers loaded.

10. You get the buttons going crazy !!!!
u have no idia of hardware.... sorry to say it...

tuxfan

Technomancer
I believe Shaunak that you have had a bad experience with an assembler. Just because one was bad doesn't mean all are like that. Assembled machines are sold more than all brands put together because branded ones are expensive. The initial machines costs more and even service later costs more.

I would not agree with most of the points raised by you. I am not patient enough to answer pointwise like saurav_cheeta, but I wouln't agree on lots of what you said. Since my first machine, I have had an assembled machine and there has been no problems like what you say. Even at present, I have 6 PCs in office and 1 at home - all assembled and there's no poblem!! :) Touch wood!! :D

sourav

In the zone
Answer

If you have bootable Windows XP disc then. Boot into it. To boot go to BIOS and enable CD Boot option. Then boot into it. Then go through the given options. In a place it will show Unpartitioned Space. Press C and then you will understand how to do. Best of Luck.

pradeep_chauhan

Cyborg Agent
krishnathelord said:
hpotter606 said:
I CAN SAY ONL ONE THING 'BRANDED IS THE BEST'

u should stop saying this

I too disagree branded systems are for "DUMB People" who do not know what is what Its like buying a sports car and then hire a driver to drive it. The system is concived designed implimented by someone else you have no controll over it. A system should be tailor made to your requirements say ok i am a graphics guy stress more on the graphics sub system or i am a data freak more emphisis on storage and so on. This option is never available in branded systems.

So Alwase go for self designed/ selected config over branded systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom