Format Hard Disk

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpotter606

Journeyman
you can use fdisk command in c prompt
i tell you man you should bye a branded pc so there is no problem as fomatting a hard disk
i dont know the details of what to do but someone will be in touch with you soon

khattam_

Fresh Stock Since 2005
Boot with a bootable CD and create partitions of desired size.
FOrmat with the desired file format.
Install as usual..

swatkat

Technomancer
you can create and format partitions using any third party utilities or by using fdisk and format commands or using XP Setup CD.

1]Switch ON the computer and press Delete to enter into BIOS, and here change the "First Boot Device" to CD-ROM (if you are having XP CD).

2]Then insert the CD and restart.WinXP CD runs and after initial setup and license agreements, it will display the Hard Disk Info, it will display all the partitioned and unpartitioned space.

3]If partitions exist already in HDD, you can press D to delete that partition.

4]If there are no partitions, then you press C to create a partition.Then type the size in MegaBytes to be used for this partition. This will be the C:\ Drive.
5]Repeat step 4, to create sufficient number of partitions.

6]Then use the Up arrow key to move up and select the first partition (C:\ Drive), this is where you will be installing XP. Select this partition and press Enter.

7]Setup will ask you to format the partition with some options like "FAT32", "NTFS", choose the format you want (you can choose FAT32), and press Enter.

8]Setup will format that partition and installs XP in that partition. After XP is installed, you have to format the other partitions which you have installed.
For this, you can use Disk Management (in Control Panel) in Windows XP. This is a graphical tool, which displays the partitions in your drive, here you just select the other partitions you created and format them in FAT32.

krish

Journeyman
Well, this can help a bit

The hierarchy of partitions can be shown as

HDD
|
|--- Primary Partition(c)-make it active for bootable
|
|----Extended Partion
----------Logical Drive 1 (D)
----------Logical Drive 2 (E)
..................................... so on

OP
S

sachinc

Broken In
Thanks

Hey swatkat and krish thanks for the info. Just wanted to confirm that would this be the procedure to follow even in the case of a brand new HD which has never been used.

Hey tuxfan, since this is the tutorial section my guess was that someone could post a step by step guide on how to do it so it has been posted here.

tuxfan

Technomancer
No sir, you are wrong. The tutorial section is for people to post their tutorials. It is a place for teachers :) If you are a learner go to Q&A section.

Actually, I wouldn't blame you (or me) for this. The new sections are welcome, but a clear demarcation is required. Hope it happens as time passes.

Tech&ME

Banned
aadipa said:
hpotter606 said:
shwetanshu said:
branded PCs almost cost a bomb

Really!! how much do you think the bomb costs
you know brandeds have many advantages if you want to discuss

ok so can u tell me any which will justify the cost diff ?

YES!!!
Pros
1.Branded PCs come pre-installed with original / geniune Microsoft Operating System.

2. You get 90 days free support from Microsoft for your OS.

3. You get on-site warranty for 3 years (as of now) on hardware/ software.

4. You get all the utility CDs / Manuals / etc.

5. You get geniune OEM hardware parts.

6. You can install ALL the SERVICE PACKS :wink:

7. You get FREE dust covers :lol: :lol:

8. They install the your PC in a quality controled workshop ISO 9001, etc.

9. They run the benchmark tool and test the hardware / software levels before sending it to the distributors / Retailers.

10. You live in a Pirated FREE world with your PC.

Cons ( assembled PCs, ones that u purchase)

1. The assemblers are themselves fools, u ask them a out of way question and they don't even know what CAS latency means ?? :wink:

2. Forget about the 3 years on-site warrenty.

3. Forget about the geniune hardware parts they source it from.......??

4. They create a mess of partitions or no partitions at all (only one) in which all messed up OS is installed. They put up too Windows folder on the same drive.... God know why?

5. They eat your money.... they promise a P4 2.0 ghz and give you something else.

6. No utilities CD/ Manuals /Mobo CD provided to u.

7. Every software they install is pirated. Welcome Viruses / Worms / Spywares.

8. They put us cheap CASE ( CABINET ) no proper air flow in there.

9. Monitor goes blank every now and then no proper drivers loaded.

10. You get the buttons going crazy !!!!

Sorry for posting it here, i know this entire topic belongs to Q&A sections.

rajesh

Journeyman
Seems TEch&ME had a bad experinece with assemblers.

There are some good assemblers available. You just have to look.

I have an assembled system and I am having it for about 7 years now. Old Celeron 366 Mhz system. It has not given a problem to date. Works absolutely fine what with WIN XP Sp1 installed.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
1.Branded PCs come pre-installed with original / geniune Microsoft Operating System.
- along with problems like activation and stuff
2. You get 90 days free support from Microsoft for your OS.
- so after 90 days OS goes POOF !!! or MS doesnt know how to troubleshoot after 90 days ? think why 90 days , koz they know this is the minimum time it will take for customer to realise that the OS is "C*ap" . Plus 2 words : NO LINUX
3. You get on-site warranty for 3 years (as of now) on hardware/ software.
- On-site maybe , but is it On-Time ????
4. You get all the utility CDs / Manuals / etc.
- Number of customers with missing cds and manuals for wrong products ?? A LOT
5. You get geniune OEM hardware parts.
- how would u know , u can't open the damn cabinet as it would be breach of warranty . Plus , why do so many branded companies have Tech support , koz their cheaper h/w is bound to fail sooner than later .
6. You can install ALL the SERVICE PACKS :wink:
- i have to pay for the OS , now i have to Waste my time on the net to download flaws in their software . Do i use the pc for my use or pc to protect itself , Whose the master here ???
7. You get FREE dust covers :lol: :lol:
- which amazingly wont last for a month and never fits all ur products . Free ?? they screwed u for cash on other stuff
8. They install the your PC in a quality controled workshop ISO 9001, etc.
- One word comes to mind , CHINA !!!
9. They run the benchmark tool and test the hardware / software levels before sending it to the distributors / Retailers.
- HCL drops all ur pc hardware from 5 feet and burn it in the oven , Very Reassuring
10. You live in a Pirated FREE world with your PC.
- hey its pirated-free , word processor-free , antivirus-free , games-free , dvd player-free , graphics tools-free . What do i do with this white box anyway play solitaire ?

Cons ( assembled PCs, ones that u purchase)
1. The assemblers are themselves fools, u ask them a out of way question and they don't even know what CAS latency means ?? :wink:
- assemblers dont have to read manuals everytime a part goes bad , they just replace or reset it immediately and put ur sys back to work in record time . Atleast they admit they dont know it , instead of giving excuses , like branded guys , like CAS error because CAS is implemented in chennai so the problem or some excuse like that . Plus first thing branded guy does is "i am sorry we have to format the whole hdd and reinstall" for each and every error . assembled guys help u back up data , while branded ask u to PAY them for it
2. Forget about the 3 years on-site warrenty.
- yes , the product will run so well , we dont have to come to ur place to troubleshoot . if there is a problem, we take the product back to the service centre or even the customers , who by now have learnt something abt computers ,instead of idlely sitting in front of it and updating the OS , will be aware that parts break and need replacement .
3. Forget about the geniune hardware parts they source it from.......??
- where ? china ? where do branded guys get theirs from ? lemme guess , china ?
4. They create a mess of partitions or no partitions at all (only one) in which all messed up OS is installed. They put up too Windows folder on the same drive.... God know why?
- r u talking abt assemblers or tech support guys of corporations who have to blindly fix peoples problems remotely . ?? no offence to tech support guys , but companies wanna give u cheap support , thats why outsourcing is so huge . Plus warranty is not void if u install other OS on ur system , unlike Major Branded Companies . plus the only place i have seen a disk neatly partitioned and labeled Windows , Mp3 , Movies and stuff , are on assembled PC
5. They eat your money.... they promise a P4 2.0 ghz and give you something else.
Yes they give u an AMD 64 koz its the latest . Plus they dont stick a 128 Ram in ur system and tell u , u cant upgrade . Assemblers make u future proof and fix ur rig for latest use and s/w
6. No utilities CD/ Manuals /Mobo CD provided to u. Yup , no original utilities CD / Manual / Mobo Cd : assemblers , burn them all into one MASTER ( copied) CD and give it to the customer for safe keeping , else customer might lose it(which they do ) . even if they do , assembler has original copy to save the day
7. Every software they install is pirated. Welcome Viruses / Worms / Spywares.
- Welcome also adware , spyware , Fire fox , opera , Thunderbird , Free utilities , antivirus and support for these s/w too . Most guys i see asking q's here ask for their friends / families or other pc's . Even branded guys come here ;)
8. They put us cheap CASE ( CABINET ) no proper air flow in there.
- i would use the term , Fancy cabinets and why no proper air flow , koz unlike branded , assemblers can install , original processor fan , with lots of thermal paste , heck even a water cooling system . if not , they attach 6 fans in ur cabinet . unlike branded where even opening the cabinet , let alone attaching a fan is a big NO NO .
9. Monitor goes blank every now and then no proper drivers loaded.
- as opposed to branded asking u to send back ur monitor for replacement , koz the phone support guy couldnt figure out u didnt have the proper drivers and start troubleshooting from safe mode . waiting time for sending and receiving ur monitor : PRICELESS
10. You get the buttons going crazy !!!!
- If it broke , replace it . thats what assemblers do , instead of going through all the troubleshooting steps again and again and having a sleepy tech on the phone , trying to talk on his cell or send sms and troubleshoot ur problem at the same time .

Over all when u get ur branded pc , no ones gonna take the time to teach u this is this and that is that . u got to pick up a phone to get ur queries answered , thats after waiting in queue for ages . Assembled u get a familiar face each time , if u have a problem and they run u through the problem and tell u exactly what they know and dont know and in the process u gain knowledge too , so next time it occurs u can even troubleshoot it ur self . Instead from branded guys , we have a new tech face each time and each one troubleshoots different parts of the computer and leave the pc unfuntionable (if its not a word , i made it up ;) ) .

Coming back to the topic . Best place to start partitioning , if ur new or have a new hard disk is Use the manufacturers , Disk Manager , Disk Wizard or Max blast , ie for samsung , seagate and maxtor . It has all the instructions within the application and u can partition the quickest this way and take backup of ur MBR upto 5 slots and restore . U can either create DM floppies or download the ISO's available online at the site . Plus u also get a whole host of utilities from the manufacturer to test ur Disk . And last but not the least , Register ur HDD online , if its samsung u get 3 months extended warranty i think for the moment . Plus allows u to check if ur drive is genuine

hpotter606

Journeyman
Mr klinux
i think you have got a really bad impression of Branded PCs :shock:
i will tell you the secret of branded PCs 'YOU DONT NEED A WARRANTY AT ALL!!!'
this is because nothing goes wrong at all :p
Who the hell told you that there is some activation and stuff

the only thing you want is regular updates which can be done easily if you DIGIT

as i told above there is no need of warranty
(i have used 4 assembled since i was a child . i can feel the differnce now as i got the IBM pc)

about the breaching the warranty i breached it on the day the computer came to my house

i cant say about dust covers as i dont have one

dont you add all the tool and games by yourself in assembled computers?
in my IBM computer they gave norton free with it

i dont know how you got the idea that genuine parts are from CHINA
who spreads all this rubbish??

I CAN SAY ONL ONE THING 'BRANDED IS THE BEST'

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
Dear Kiddo Pothead err..... potter .
u must be really from a fairy tale land , where no problem ever comes to a branded pc . if u checked my eg , i stated HCL , which is an indian branded pc manufacturer , and i am aware of more such indian makes . international ones arent too gr8 either . Regular updates on digit ? last i checked i got xp sp2 . what abt the other security updates given around once in 15 days . U run ur system without them ??????? or the updated av versions . by the time one gets the mag , most av have new updates . nothing wrong on mags part , but most mags have them . when ur a kid u wear diapers , when u grow up , u wear pants . there is a difference . mind elaborating on what u found different . U breached warranty the day it came to ur home ? and u ask me if i am from hell lol . Assembled pc's have their own av too . BTW which version of Norton are u using ? updated one ? if u really opened ur PC , u might have noticed a few labels "MADE IN CHINA" , thats the country north of india . Most companies have maufacturing sites there . How much is ur rig anyway , would love to see what config u got .

hpotter606

Journeyman
Dear kixylixy ......er linux
you are talking about HCL pc which might be FULL of problems but IBM is to great to fit in your tiny mind!!
dont you update your assembled pc??
IBM have there updates on there site and i update on ms site regularly as i have an internet connection.
when i was a kid i used assembled PCs that doesn't mean that i havent worked on assembled lately
i will tell you the differece. do you have a preloaded os win XP and backup. if anything goes wrong i can format my pc in 1hour with basic softwares drivers and antivirus loaded and it takes to push only 3 or 4 keys. did you know that?
i am using norton internet security 2005 but iam going to cange it as it is very heavy.
and there is no lable such as "MADE IN CHINA"

CONFIGURATION

P4 2.8 HT
256 MB RAM
Win XP prof SP2

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
Dear Hairy Pots ,

( u could have used kleenex for my nik , imagination kiddo )

ibm fit in my mind ? last advts i saw of their , they said small was good , but i didnt expect ones to come out the size of my head . well if anything goes wrong on my pc i install winxp with sp2 integrated , and have backups of all s/w with their kode ( u know what i mean ;) ) . anyways , why does ur gr8 machine take 1 whole hour to install ? and ur older assembled PCs refused to have xp installed on them in case of errors ? IBM must be making smarter PCs these days u mentioned Norton very heavy ? will they give u replacement for ur version of anti virus . i thought with gr8 computers , came gr8 responsibility . So what ur saying if what was given as free and "good" for ur computer , isnt actually allowing u to work on ur pc properly ??? . Odd that u say non of ur components are made in china . FIY , now ibm has been purchased by a chinese firm . so expect more of made in china . Anyways , if u would like , take a survey here on which is better , branded or assembled pcs and the results might be surprising . Odd that u only pointed out a few of my points . U agree with all my other points in my initial post ?

here u go , read on : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3186&start=0

there was another , will check it out

hpotter606

Journeyman
Dear klinux,
i want to appolosize if i hve hurted your feelings. It has gone too far.
(ofcouse if you want to go on ...... i will think)
it takes one hour because it formats harddisk then install its components, drivers, then its softwares and then antivirus etc

the antivirus i have is nav internet security. IBM dont give it i installed it myself(trial) i didnt like it so i am getting other (see software section )
i have ZA installed right now
they gave nav2004 which is faster but we should wear pants and choose new
:wink:

by the way i have just found out that there is "made in china " mothereboard but it doesn't mean the computer is inferior

your post is long one . i was getting really bored so posted reply instead
As far as the servey is concerend , i know that many people prefer assembled as they cost less

if one wants to bye assembled PC one has to know something about it
an amature can be easily fooled . Thats not the case with branded.

my friend bought a computer 2 months ago and he is getting every problem you can think of.

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
hurt my feelings lol , first rule of online forums , chats and other stuff , never get too involved in anything . would be nice to go on ;) , was having fun actually . well chinese products are good , if they are the real deal ie . if u checked out even USA brands , u might find some PCs with ordinary or inferior parts . its always good to check if ur product is original , especially if its written made in china . Boy u calling previous post LONG ??? u havent seen much of my posts i guess . Same length as urs . and remember always good to go through entire post b4 replying . ur right , u should know something abt computers b4 u buy , branded or not . else take someones guidance . in most cases , companies can con u into their oldest , un sold products . Tell ur friend to join the Digit Forum , we'll try to sort his problems out one by one , thats what assemblers do best ;) . and regarding ur hdd formating , if ur formating just to reinstall ur os , rather than recover from bad sectors or other serious hdd problems , u could try the manufacturers Disk Utilies , which amazingly is listed in this thread . they work quick and u can backup ur mbr too . btw , out of kuriosity . whats the period for IBM's tech support for ur pc . does it include OS and AV support also ? Plus will do they support installation of linux and win on same system or does it void ur warranty ? Plus how much do they charge for additional , say , 256 mb ram ? seems IBM must be doing something right , but still most branded aren't so good in a lot of ways , hence more people prefer assembled .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom