For the Strategic Game Lovers!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
S

sumitava_b

In the zone
Generally expansion packs to a paricular game add a few more scenario or campaign in that game. It will be installed on the platform of the original game. Like, Yuri's revenge is an expansion pack of C&C II. After installing this pack, you will get a new team (called something like psycho, I forgot :p ) apart from America, Russia etc. I found that team better than any other previous team. There will a new campaign where Yuri, former right hand of Russia's president, captured the president and takes the control. The story is nice and good.

In one word, its kind of value-adding to the present game. :D

rohanbee

Padawan
escape7 said:
What do expansion packs do?

Simply put Expansion packs are basically ad-ons to existing games. These WILL NOT work if the original game is not loaded onto your computer.
These are quite the in-thing now days. They are usually made for simulator, startegy, based games as these sometimes have an engine which becomes so popular that the consumers would prefer additions rather than a totally brand new game!!!
At the end of the day it ia also a good way to make quick money for game developers as they have already done the main work, and the expansions usually sell for almost as much as the original game. :wink: :wink:

escape7

What? Where? How?
Is there any expansion pack available in the market for AOE-II age of kings...New Delhi/Gurgaon only............where?

OP
S

sumitava_b

In the zone
rohanbee said:
[flAsh said:
]Has anybody played Close Combat and Comand and Conquer series

Then lets discuss the Command & conquer series:- I only played C & C Red alert though. Any other fans of this version??

what happened to you, gamers? Is there none who enjoyed C&C?

In C&C, I liked that harvesting funda. That's cool way 8) to generate recources and also fight with enemies to get hold of remaining recources.

Defending your town in C&C is little bit fun. I used to put my human armies inside those tall multi-storied buildings. By that way ur army will be safe and secure and ready to bang bang! :twisted: In the start of the game, I generally used to fill all the building around enemy base with infantry. That way u can stop them moving out of their base. Basically a siege policy :wink: . After that expand ur machineries and give a final blow. :twisted:

rohanbee

Padawan
The one thing i love about c & c is the ability to garrison buildings.
and the para-trooping feature has been one of my fav things. You could drop down a small plattoon of soldiers anywhere on the field and make lightning attacks on enemy harvesters.
Sumitava how many times have you played it. I finished the russian and american campaignes 4 times each in Red alert....

OP
S

sumitava_b

In the zone
Sorry, Rohan. I completed each campaign only once :cry: . Was it necessary to complete them more than single time? I didnt understand that :shock: .......

In the initial stage of a game, I try to explore and capture as many harvesting field as possible on the entire map. Just keep producing harvester.It has got a good armour too, so it is good at fighting in critical situations. During exploring, if I find enemy's harvester I employ my entire to blow that off. Computer will be kept busy to use its limited resources to create the replacements of the destroyed harvesters. That way you will be able to cut the rate of pregress down by a substantial amount, even if at the cost of the loss of some of ur infantry (thats okay because u can anytime produce infanry until and unless u r running out of harvesters).

I felt that Yuri's team is more powerful than American or Russian team. Some of their uncanny powers, i found amazing. Their army's (I am not able to remember their name...Psycho, isnt it? :roll: Oh God, What is happening to me?) brain-controlling power :twisted: ....awesome, man.

The best thing American army has is Nuclear weapon, apart from paratroopers. Those are amazing in crunching a strong enemy base.

rohanbee

Padawan
sumitava_b said:
Sorry, Rohan. I completed each campaign only once :cry: . Was it necessary to complete them more than single time? I didnt understand that :shock: .......

No no i didn't mean that. What i meant was that i have played all of the missions in the campaign 4 times. that is played mission 1 thru 9 and then again and again :lol:

Then i made some custom missions and played them as well.

I think you are talking about C & C:yuri's revenge i have not played that. As far as i remember in C&C :Red Alert the Nuclear weapon was the domain of the Russian Armed Forces!

OP
S

sumitava_b

In the zone
Rohan, Ohhho ur idea is very good to get some serious expertise on a game. Keep revising them 8) .

Again I messed up in remembering the details of C$C (I played it one year back). Yeah, u r right. Nuclear weapon is the property of russia. Thanks for correcting, Rohan. :p

Anyway I am getting a feeling that this discussion is getting two-men's mission. :arrow: If any other gamer feel that we should discuss any other game along with C&C also please come up with the idea. Or post with ur strategies in C&C too :) .

OP
S

sumitava_b

In the zone
Acc to my knowledge (which is always limited, u know that :wink: ), Red Alert2 and Yuri's revenge expansion. Can anybody confirm this?

rohanbee

Padawan
Ok here is the low down:-
Command and Conquer (developer Westwood) has basic these types or versions quite different from one another and similar also in some sense:-

:arrow: C & C -- The first one Focusing on the global conflict between the fictional Global Defense Initiative (read "NATO with a budget problem") and Brotherhood of Nod (read "Illuminati meets Warsaw Pact") organizations. They later came out with a Gold edition too. Quite useless though.

:arrow: C & C (Red Alert) -- Start of one of the most successful series where The Allied forces fight the Russians.......classic cold war battles. Same time frame as Dune2, Warcraft2 both of which excellent games in their own right.

:arrow: C & C (Red Alert) Counter strike -- An expansion to the Red alert series. Never did well and had nothing much to offer. Quite Forgettable.

:arrow: C & C (Red Alert) The Aftermath -- Is a heck of a deal that practically turns Red Alert into an entirely new game. Basically an expansion for the original game with new units and maps.

:arrow: C & C (Red Alert) Covert Operations -- Contrary to belief not a sequel to Red Alert but rather a new game in itself. Flopped badly and nothing much to offer but just stuff put from the original game but with new missions and a cheper price tag.

:arrow: C & C (Tiberian Sun) -- Tiberian Sun takes few risks, and feels and plays just like the original Command & Conquer. Nothing much to this game after Red Alert.

:arrow: C & C (Red Alert2) -- Bigger better graphics. My personal favourite among all the series. Same thing where the Allied and Russians fight each other but an added twist with Yuri (russian side)

:arrow: C & C (Red Alert2) Yuri's Revenge -- All its new features combine to make Yuri's Revenge ideal or even downright necessary for anyone who enjoyed Red Alert 2. A continuation to the saga of red alert.

:arrow: C & C (Generals) -- Generals is easily one of the best Command & Conquer games yet, with the impressive visuals and highly refined and accessible gameplay that have come to characterize the best entries in this genre. It includes 3 factions
Usa -- With a very Hi-tech Army at your command
China -- Strenght in numbers
GLA -- Global Liberation Army -- a terrorist outfit faction made out of many rag tag groups but with excessive speed & stealth.

:arrow: C & C (Generals) Zero Hour -- Yhis is the latest offereing from Westwood. An Expansion pack for Generals. Improve on original gameplay and ensures the longivity for this ever popular C&C series.

The distribuitors for them is www.gamemasti.com in india. You can buy directly from there as well or from a retailer i guess.

C&C generals -- Rs.1499/-
C&C Yuris revenge -- Rs.699/- (needs original C&C red alert to play!!)

OP
S

sumitava_b

In the zone
Adding to the info, there was one more version of C&C....Renegade. This one introduced a array of weapon of mass destruction like, Tiberium Auto Rifle, Chemical Sprayer and the devastating Personal Ion Cannon...nothing much other than this....

If u r gonna buy C&C, buy red alert2...that is too good. I havnt played General. heard that is too rocking!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom