Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
There used to be an age old thread on TDF with some interesting Chess puzzles. I was doing my daily round of Nunn's puzzles (A classic group of chess puzzles) and found an interesting question. So if anyone is interested be free to post their solutions and questions too :D .

*img27.imageshack.us/img27/5039/chess01.th.jpg

White to move and Checkmate in four :) .

PS: If no one is interested I'll ask one of the mods to remove it so it doesn't add any more clutter to the Chit Chat section than there already is.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Sure thing . exx_2000 is the id. Just message me. I won't be online after sometime though.

jxcess3891

Evil mind
Do any of you play chess on the FICS: Free Internet Chess Server? It's the biggest chess server available (as mentioned in wikipedia) and is free too. My id is jrmchess. The web address is www.freechess.org. Just register and download a graphical interface, the best ones are baba chess or win chess and start to play.

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
I play on chess.com and gameknot.com. Anyone got any ids there?

On topic: That chess puzzle: I figured it out. The solution is long to post here but Qa6+ does the trick.

Here's a super-cool-uber-tough puzzle:-
White to move. Checkmate in 11. :twisted:
*img232.imageshack.us/img232/7226/matein11.gif

Last edited:
R

ricky_shoots

:cool:I used to be on chess.net till it turned into a pay site ... would love to play with members on this forum and other .....
for me yahoo as a chess ite sucks .... am gonna try www.freechess.org ..... if I like it I am gonna be there regularly ....

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
White to move. Checkmate in 11.
Haha I liked this one.
Solution keeping the King in perpetual check till the queen reaches the cop corner and is able to do a back rank mate. I figured that in order to get a mate you have to keep the pawns from promoting and keep them blocked in and somehow get your queen to the back ranks . Hence Check -> Pinning the pawn > Check > Pinning the Pawn etc till you reach the corner and then its over :)

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
On topic: That chess puzzle: I figured it out. The solution is long to post here but Qa6+ does the trick.
F**kin awesome! I could never figure that out

White to move. Checkmate in 11.
well I figured this one out(surprising myself in the process ;))
Solution: Qd3 , Qd4 , Qe4 , Qe5....Qh7, Qh8 Qh1++ :)

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
@FilledVoid

1.Qc6+ gets you a mate in five.

@alexander
I didnt figure it out! good job!
Your puzzle is easier to solve :) White cant mate till the queen reaches h1, so check when king is in b1, pin b2 when king is in a1, and you're done.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Yes thats correct.

@FilledVoid

1.Qc6+ gets you a mate in five.
Nope it doesn't

Here's another one though and this might a bit more trickier than the earlier one.

*img22.imageshack.us/img22/8613/chess02.th.jpg

White to move mate in four. (Oh and by the way yes black is about to promote all those pawns :D . )

mck3bangalore

Right off the assembly line
Guyz try out *chesscube.com, Its completely free and has one of the best interfaces than any other online chess.
Send me a request, my id: mck3bangalore :smile:

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
@filledvoid
in the first puzzle, qc6 does get you a mate in 5. Any move of black finishes it off in five moves or less.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
@filledvoid
in the first puzzle, qc6 does get you a mate in 5. Any move of black finishes it off in five moves or less.
My bad, I should have checked what I wrote. Yes it gives you mate in five not four. The question requires a mate in four :) .

jxcess3891

Evil mind
Hey guys what are your fav openings/defences with black/white ? Mine are the petrov's defence, sicilian defence, queen's gambit and the king's indian defence. I always open with d4 and very rarely play e4 when playing white.

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
My favourite openings are Sicilian defence, King's/ Queen's Gambit. i try to do an e4 everytime. Hey, I know someone who likes the Sarragossa opening! :D:lol:

Anyway, here's a puzzle I found on gameknot. I solved it but the solution surprised me. :D
White to move, checkmate in 2.
*img2.imageshack.us/img2/1231/matein2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom