First DX 12 benchmark shows AMD beating the hell out of Nvidia!

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Ashes of the Singularity shows R9 290x to be as fast or faster than 980Ti in DirectX 12

DirectX 12 tested: An early win for AMD and disappointment for Nvidia | Ars Technica

An AMD coup

To say these benchmark results are unexpected would be an understatement. While it's true that AMD has been banging the DX12 drum for a while, its performance in Ashes is astonishing. AMD's cheaper, older, and less efficient GPU is able to almost match and at one point beat Nvidia's top-of-the-line graphics card. AMD performance boosts reach almost 70 percent under DX12. On the flip side, Nvidia's performance is distinctly odd, with its GPU dropping in performance under DX12 even when more CPU cores are thrown at it. The question is why?

Did AMD manage to pull off some sort of crazy-optimised driver coup? Perhaps, but it’s unlikely. It's well known that Nvidia has more software development resources at its disposal, and while AMD's work with Mantle and Vulkan will have helped, it's more likely that AMD has the underlying changes behind DX12 to thank. Since the 600-series of GPUs in 2012, Nvidia has been at the top of the GPU performance pile, mostly in games that use DX10 or 11. DX11 is an API that requires a lot of optimisation at the driver level, and clearly Nvidia's work in doing so has paid off over the past few years. Even now, with the Ashes benchmark, you can see just how good its DX11 driver is.

Optimising for DX12 is a trickier beast. It gives developers far more control over how its resources are used and allocated, which may have rendered much of Nvidia's work in DX11 obsolete. Or perhaps this really is the result of earlier hardware decisions, with Nvidia choosing to optimise for DX11 with a focus on serial scheduling and pre-empting as AMD looks to the future with massively parallel processing.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
David has defeated Goliath at last. Glad to see AMD getting traction against nVidia.

However, this is just one benchmark. I am sure nVidia will step up its game later once DirectX 12 gets more mainstream.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
It's not a matter of caring. Nvidia's drivers are probably not optimized enough for now. They might come up with new drivers that would work better.

Not really. No one cares about the Ashes game and no one did care about the Star Swarm game that Mantle was benchmarked on. Nvidia picks its titles wisely for optimization.

OP
B

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Nvidia doesn't care about games that no one is going to play

If they didn't care, they wouldn't immediately send out a press release and a new driver to improve performance. :lol:
As the article says, Maxwell is optimized for serial execution which works for dx 10 and 11 while DX 12 favours parallel execution in which GCN is a beast.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
Of course they would care if it gets media attention. But honestly were you waiting for Ashes of the Singularity. Did you even hear about it before?

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Of course they would care if it gets media attention. But honestly were you waiting for Ashes of the Singularity. Did you even hear about it before?

Whether we heard about it before is irrelevant. AAA games are not always a benchmark of quality.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
You don't seem to get the point. Nvidia would care about those games that would sell more copies like Witcher 3, MGSV, Project Cars, etc. More copies sold directly translates to more PCs with Nvidia GPU which directly translates to profit for Nvidia. It would work in Nvidia's interest to optimize for those kind of titles. Optimizing requires resources and Nvidia will choose those that gives them profit.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, we all saw how all their caring turned out for Arkham Knight. :lol:
Arkham Knight was WB's fault not Nvidia's fault. They even admitted that they knew PC port was a disaster before release and they allocated all their resources to polish the console version because the consoles were having problems.

$hadow

Geek in making
Wait for a while Nvidia is not going to sit quietly there, another comparison incoming soon.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
You don't seem to get the point. Nvidia would care about those games that would sell more copies like Witcher 3, MGSV, Project Cars, etc. More copies sold directly translates to more PCs with Nvidia GPU which directly translates to profit for Nvidia. It would work in Nvidia's interest to optimize for those kind of titles. Optimizing requires resources and Nvidia will choose those that gives them profit.

- - - Updated - - -

Arkham Knight was WB's fault not Nvidia's fault. They even admitted that they knew PC port was a disaster before release and they allocated all their resources to polish the console version because the consoles were having problems.

You are not getting my point either. Both had not optimized their drivers for anything. It was just circumstance that DX12 works better with GCN.

chimera201

Wise Old Owl
What I am trying to say is wait for a proper benchmark of a DX12 game that is GOTY-like and released. Don't jump to conclusions on a benchmark of a game that is in alpha something and is a type of game that few people are interested in. It will probably take some years for a proper DX12 game to be out.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well, Nvidia done f****d up.

*www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/3j1916/get_your_popcorn_ready_nv_gpus_do_not_support/

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
This is a never ending battle. Only thing I care about is power consumption and it that regards, nVidia still trumps AMD. It won't matter if either brand pushes 5%FPS more than the other but if a card is able to perform at 5% less energy and/or 5% less cost then that makes a world of difference.

It's all about the Watts:FPS:$ ratio. One who maintains this balance wins.

OP
B

bikramjitkar

In the zone
Well, Nvidia done f****d up.

*www.reddit.com/r/pcgaming/comments/3j1916/get_your_popcorn_ready_nv_gpus_do_not_support/

So, basically anyone in the market for a new GPU that they don't wanna upgrade for the next 2-3 years should only be considering AMD. If only AMD's PR and marketing team was half as good as Nvidia's...

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
This is a never ending battle. Only thing I care about is power consumption and it that regards, nVidia still trumps AMD. It won't matter if either brand pushes 5%FPS more than the other but if a card is able to perform at 5% less energy and/or 5% less cost then that makes a world of difference.

Indeed. We need to wait and watch how AMD tries to build on this. I don't think Nvidia can do much about this other than coming up with a software implementation of Async compute in one of their driver updates.

I think the next Nvidia architecture would remedy this.

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Read This : Exclusive: The Nvidia and AMD DirectX 12 Editorial - Complete DX12 Graphic Card List with Specifications, Asynchronous Shaders and Hardware Features Explained

gagan_kumar

Wise Old Owl
well now I am feeling good that I picked a AMD card........ I was starting to wonder why AMD is so focused on GCN arch even though the performance per watt.....

- - - Updated - - -

be happy with your extra 500 bucks saved per year....

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
so the rumours that DirectX 12 is sort of a rebranded Mantle are turning out to be true?

Good. The first thing I'll buy is a R9 Nano when I start earning.

Top Bottom