Final Piece for my gaming PC: An SSD

dexterz

Journeyman
those speeds are way too low, i was expecting above 500 MB/s read
are u sure u are using a SATA 3 port and not a SATA 2 port ?
samsung magician says its connected to sata3. i'll check my z77 layout picture and confirm shortly.

edit: connected to sata3 (gray port)

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
how is it that my USB 3.0 speeds capped at 5 gbps is faster than sata 3 port (capped at 6 gbps)..
The samsung drive itself is capable of 540 MB/s according to reviews. I myself do not have a SATA 3 device, to test it right now, otherwise id have done it myself.
You should investigate it a bit further, though

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
got your drive yet? i got mine yesterday. moved most my frequent played games to the drive. no more staring at loading screen for 30~40seconds :D

YES I got the drive yesterday. Yesterday I just rejoiced the whole night with my new beloved drive. :wub:
Today I am in the process to install fresh OSes on it. Will post detailed benchmark results later. For now, here is the CrystalDiskMark benchmark (its connected via Sata 6 GB/s port).

*i.imgur.com/xQjwZw9.png

dexterz

Journeyman
how is it that my USB 3.0 speeds capped at 5 gbps is faster than sata 3 port (capped at 6 gbps)..
The samsung drive itself is capable of 540 MB/s according to reviews. I myself do not have a SATA 3 device, to test it right now, otherwise id have done it myself.
You should investigate it a bit further, though
any tips on how to troubleshoot?

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
any tips on how to troubleshoot?
Samsung Magician doesn't say it's connected to SATA 3.0 port. It only says in terms of speed. On my Samsung Magician it says the interface it's connected to is SATA 6.0 Gb/s.
What exactly your magician says?

Check if in the Drive Summary, the magician reports ATA standard as "ATA8-ACS".

SSD.jpg

Last edited:

dexterz

Journeyman
Samsung Magician doesn't say it's connected to SATA 3.0 port. It only says in terms of speed. On my Samsung Magician it says the interface it's connected to is SATA 6.0 Gb/s.
What exactly your magician says?

Check if in the Drive Summary, the magician reports ATA standard as "ATA8-ACS".

View attachment 16921
samsung magician says "your drive is connected to sata 6.0gb/s (SATA3) port and should show maximum performance. ata standard is ata8-acs

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
samsung magician says "your drive is connected to sata 6.0gb/s (SATA3) port and should show maximum performance. ata standard is ata8-acs
At this point, you can only consider replacing the actual SATA cable with some other cable.

nac

Aspiring Novelist
After seeing yours, I was curious to know what I am getting with mine. It's lot slower than yours, I guess it's because of old chipset.

Left one is HDD and right is SSD
image.jpg

Drive info snapshot from Samsung magician.
SIDlg_2017-06-30_17-01-33.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
What socket 775 motherboard supports trim

AHCI by default is disabled in bios on older mobos(when IDE ports & IDE hard disks were the standard),check in your bios settings under hard disk mode & there should be an option to change it to AHCI from "auto/legacy/IDE".

However you can not do this now because Win 7 & above do not load AHCI driver if it was not there when the OS was first installed.If bios hdd mode is changed to AHCI after installation of windows then on next start the windows will give BSOD/crash at boot.You have to do a registry tweak to enable win 7/8 to boot correctly after enabling AHCI in BIOS:
Switch from IDE to AHCI after installing Windows 7 or Windows 8 - Winaero

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
What socket 775 motherboard supports trim

AHCI by default is disabled in bios on older mobos(when IDE ports & IDE hard disks were the standard),check in your bios settings under hard disk mode & there should be an option to change it to AHCI from "auto/legacy/IDE".

However you can not do this now because Win 7 & above do not load AHCI driver if it was not there when the OS was first installed.If bios hdd mode is changed to AHCI after installation of windows then on next start the windows will give BSOD/crash at boot.You have to do a registry tweak to enable win 7/8 to boot correctly after enabling AHCI in BIOS:
Switch from IDE to AHCI after installing Windows 7 or Windows 8 - Winaero
Thank you.
I followed the instruction and found that registry value is already set to "0" (I opted for Option two)
Option two
  • Open the Registry editor.
  • Navigate to the following key
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\storahci
  • Change the Start DWORD value from 3 to 0.
  • Reboot your PC and set the SATA mode to AHCI.

I rebooted and found that BIOS too set "Configure SATA as AHCI". I am attaching a snapshot.

I don't remember if I have already tried this before or it was this way when I installed OS (Win 8.1)

bios.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Then that's fine.In fact the speeds you are getting are in line with the expected speeds using sata 2.0 3gbps port.To fully utilize internal SSD speeds one must use sata 3.0 6gbps port.

P.S. FMBG31 | Foxin

Reactions: nac

dexterz

Journeyman
can u say what you did ?
out of the 4 SATA3ports on my motherboard, 2were internal INTEL controlled ports and 2 were ASMEDIA 1061 controlled. the slower speed was when connected to the ASMEDIA ports. it was fine after i switched it to the other SATA3 port.

Top Bottom