Final Piece for my gaming PC: An SSD

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I bought my GFX few months ago and feel that with the GST coming up, its the right time to get done with the thing which would make my PC 'complete'. An SSD!

I have decided to go with a ~250 GB SSD since I need to run at-least two OS from the drive: Windows 10 and Ubuntu. So I made this spreadsheet: Mission SSD

I think I have decided to go with this SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB (Link). Currently selling for Rs 7600.

My questions are below:
1. Is GST really going to increase price? Can I wait for say, a lightning deal on Amazon?
2. Is it better to get a PCI card based SSD since it provide more speeds?
3. Kingston SSDNow UV400 is lowest rupee per GB. Is it any good? I don't want to compromise on quality.
4. How about Crucial MX300. Reviews are good for this one too. Will warranty be any issue?

Halp guys!

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
1. Is GST really going to increase price? Can I wait for say, a lightning deal on Amazon?
Will the prices rise? Yeah definitely. For the 2nd part, if they give something ridiculous offers you CAN wait but it's hard to tell what offer will they give and how much exactly.

2. Is it better to get a PCI card based SSD since it provide more speeds?
In theory yes, it will be faster but pricing is significantly higher on most models. You can get an adapter too for the PCI slot but those itself tend to cost around 4-5k

3. Kingston SSDNow UV400 is lowest rupee per GB. Is it any good? I don't want to compromise on quality.
4. How about Crucial MX300. Reviews are good for this one too. Will warranty be any issue?

Crucial on their website officially state you will need to contact a local dealer for RMA. I guess, the seller iteself would need to set it up for you. As for which is better, check some of these benchmarks: UserBenchmark: Crucial MX300 vs Kingston SSDNow UV400

Crucial Warranty Information | Crucial.com

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
From the benchmarks, the Samsung 850 Evo washes both Kingston and Crucial out of the water. I guess Samsung Evo is best among the models I have chosen.
PCT based cards are out. My budget is limited my requirements aren't that much.

About price.. I would like to wait and see for atleast a week, before finalizing the purchase.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Samsung 2.5'' 850 EVO 250 GB Internal SSD Sata-III(MZ-75E250BW)- 5 yr wrnty | eBay

Samsung 2.5'' 850 EVO 250 GB Sata-III(MZ-75E250BW)Internal SSD-Samsung#..

Both sellers are top rated red star sellers.. Whatever moolah you save, paytm me :p

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Samsung 2.5'' 850 EVO 250 GB Internal SSD Sata-III(MZ-75E250BW)- 5 yr wrnty | eBay

Samsung 2.5'' 850 EVO 250 GB Sata-III(MZ-75E250BW)Internal SSD-Samsung#..

Both sellers are top rated red star sellers.. Whatever moolah you save, paytm me :p
Don't really trust ebay more than Amazon.in. Be it paying some extra. :p
But thanks for the links.. I will bookmark it.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
pretty sure thats a genuine seller looking at the approval rating, still Ive had mostly positive experience with ebay's return policy..

Nerevarine

Incarnate
hey vyom, i myself ordered one of those, the one that costs 6820..

Also ordered an Orico type c enclosure from aliexpress, cant wait to have them both

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
hey vyom, i myself ordered one of those, the one that costs 6820..

Also ordered an Orico type c enclosure from aliexpress, cant wait to have them both
So you are vouching for ebay when you haven't received your item?

dexterz

Journeyman
glad i came across this thread. have the exact same requirement/same query with same shortlisted models. might go for the evo 850 250gb from amazon or primeabgb. only the warranty policy of crucial is stopping me from getting that.

Last edited:

gta5

Ambassador of Buzz
When do you intended to buy ? if it is short term say 2-3 months then buy now
Because of GST

if it is more long term say 6-8 + months
then it would be best to wait..

as currently SSD and RAM prices are very high because of short supply.. once the supply situation improves both ram and SSD prices will go downhill fast...

If I recall correctly ... Just 1 year ago during may 2016 samsung 850 Evo 250gb used to cost Rs 5500-6000.. Samsung 750 Evo 120gb was Rs 2700..

Last edited:
OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Looking at the general trend of my PCMR history...

1. July 2013: Bought Core i5 processor as a first step to build my gaming PC.
  2. August 2013: Bought motherboard as a second step for my gaming PC.
  3. June 2014: My research on buying a MFD (printer, copier and scanner) documented in this thread.
  4. February 2015: Got myself a treat with a new and beautiful fHD monitor.
  5. August 2016: Upgraded the RAM of my PC here.
  6. October 2016: As a possibly last step towards my Gaming PC I got myself the most VFM Graphics card, RX 480.

... I would say, its about time I upgrade to an SSD. :p

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
BTW, just out of curiosity I went to browse the Samsung SSD site and it baffled me to know that even when the Samsung 850 EVO launched late 2014, even after about 2.5 years there's no better successor to the model (except Pro)? Isn't this amazing?

Source: Internal SSD - Solid State Drive

Last edited:

Randy_Marsh

Youngling
1. Get Samsung EVO 850. best in performance. Crucial MX300 is close in performance but the prices are similar.
2. Most probably hard drives would fall in 18% tax slab, which is higher than current. Bad thing is, Monitors and printers would fall in 28% slab! So get it asap.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Yeah its dispatched today, hope ill get it in a few days. That deal is just too good to pass, but if you want to be safe, get from amazon
Did your reached yours? How much ebay generally takes to ship?

What is Orico type c enclosure that you mentioned few posts back?

Top Bottom